Hard Lesson Learned

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Another way to keep your bookmarks/passwords is to save the bookmarks to documents then email them to yourself. The saved passwords will be with them.

I had a Seagate 500 fail this year too in PH. It must be the frequent blackouts that causes them to crash. I have never had one fail in Canada. HDs in laptops should be safe but I did have a charger stop working likely from the blackouts and power surges.

I did a backup yesterday with a free software program called EaseUS Todo Backup. It is one of the top 3 recommended on 2 sites and used by almost 3 million. It took about 3 hours to download then 30 minutes to back up. I hope that I never have to use the recovery. I saved the complete backup of system and files to both D drive and to a usb stick.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I'm still at it .... I got Acronis True Image and was able to back up my E & F drives and I must say it worked much easier than Win 7 back-up ..... now I discovered that Win 7 back-up didn't make an image of my OS when I backed it up ..... so some of my saved programs data  in places like System32 ... Users and other places didn't get saved which really is a PITA becasue 6 years of AceMoney back-ups (saved for some on godly reason in System32) just went missing and that was 6 years of monthly financial information .... I guess had I used Acronis it would have saved it .... now to find out what other stuff got deleted and can't be recovered .....

To all those who scoff and say so what it will never happen to me .... to be for warned is to be for armed .... I looked into the raid set-up but I coose not to run my extra HD's now unless I really need to .... the less they start up the less they will wear out ..... JMHO .... now I plug in my back-up drives when I need them and un plug as soon as they are done ....

I also run an APC Back UPS and have ever sense I saw how the power flux is here in the Phils .... I have a total of 15 mins. on battery for my desktop and monitor .... plenty of time to shut down .....

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Regular backups are the way to go. Sometimes programs corrupt and it is good to be able to do a full system restore. Some of the malware and viruses stick around even when you do a Microsoft system restore, they hide right in the restore points.

Mike, how often does your APC UPS beep indicating a power fluctuation?

Also to those with UPS, the batteries do go bad after a few years. A failing battery in a UPS will also wreak on your system components.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Regular backups are the way to go. Sometimes programs corrupt and it is good to be able to do a full system restore. Some of the malware and viruses stick around even when you do a Microsoft system restore, they hide right in the restore points.

Mike, how often does your APC UPS beep indicating a power fluctuation?

Also to those with UPS, the batteries do go bad after a few years. A failing battery in a UPS will also wreak on your system components.

I'm lucky as I bought the APC that is attached to my desktop via a cable that tells me what is going on and monitors the condition and state of my power .... even monitors my usage .... spikes .... and any other abnormalities in my system .... and the best thing is I can change the battery myself when it craps out .... unit was a little pricy but well worth it .... kinda fun to staqrt the program and watch the various changes taking place with my electric .... :hystery:

:cheersty:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Don't you just call the NSA and ask to borrow their copy of your system.  :)

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Don't you just call the NSA and ask to borrow their copy of your system.  :)

Man calls NSA to restore email he deleted by mistake:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130903/10462224391/lost-email-just-call-nsa.shtml

• Like 2