Here's How To Compare Cost Of Living

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Thanks - this is far and away the best site that I have seen for the purpose.

I totally agree!

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I tried it. I don't know about the Cebu prices, but the prices of where I live now (Huntington Beach California) we're right on!

RBM
Posted
Posted

There have been many threads about cost of living in Philippines and who can live cheaper where.  I found a site that I am thrilled with that does instant comparisons that seem reasonably accurate in my experience.  You can find it at:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

When I compared the cost of living in Manila to the cost in Cebu, I was not surprised to find out that it would cost 95,700 pesos a month to have the same standard of living in Manila as 80,000 pesos would buy you in Cebu.

What I was surprised to find out is that it would only cost 67,400 pesos a month to have that same standard of living in Davao.  That may be well worth considering for some.

It is also great to compare the costs from Cebu to other major cities around the world.  For example, 80,000 pesos a month in Cebu would give the same standard of living as CDN $4,900 a month would buy you in Toronto, Canada. (Ral cost we all face.

Or the same as $3,900 a month would buy in Hamilton, Canada).

Please keep in mind that there are a lot of costs they don't include such as visa runs, visa costs, hospital stays and supporting filipino extended families  :hystery:

Interesting, although just been in Davao a short time it is not the first. Both myself and GF consider it's every bit as expensive as Cebu. We are not talking about the tourist activities but general costs we all face.

As an accurate rule of thumb, the smaller the city or town one lives in costs are usually lower. We moved from Cebu to a smaller city on Negros and living on about 35% plus less with better quality of life. Most is reflected in our rental costs which are less than half of Cebu and far roomier.

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I tried it. I don't know about the Cebu prices, but the prices of where I live now (Huntington Beach California) we're right on!

I'm also amazed that it had small cities like Huntington Beach in it as well as small cities in Philippines.

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

There have been many threads about cost of living in Philippines and who can live cheaper where. I found a site that I am thrilled with that does instant comparisons that seem reasonably accurate in my experience. You can find it at:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

When I compared the cost of living in Manila to the cost in Cebu, I was not surprised to find out that it would cost 95,700 pesos a month to have the same standard of living in Manila as 80,000 pesos would buy you in Cebu.

What I was surprised to find out is that it would only cost 67,400 pesos a month to have that same standard of living in Davao. That may be well worth considering for some.

It is also great to compare the costs from Cebu to other major cities around the world. For example, 80,000 pesos a month in Cebu would give the same standard of living as CDN $4,900 a month would buy you in Toronto, Canada. (Ral cost we all face.

Or the same as $3,900 a month would buy in Hamilton, Canada).

Please keep in mind that there are a lot of costs they don't include such as visa runs, visa costs, hospital stays and supporting filipino extended families :hystery:

Interesting, although just been in Davao a short time it is not the first. Both myself and GF consider it's every bit as expensive as Cebu. We are not talking about the tourist activities but general costs we all face.

As an accurate rule of thumb, the smaller the city or town one lives in costs are usually lower. We moved from Cebu to a smaller city on Negros and living on about 35% plus less with better quality of life. Most is reflected in our rental costs which are less than half of Cebu and far roomier.

From what I read in several different threads, Davao is one of the nicest and cleanest cities in the Philippines. Size is not always a determining factor. Vail Colorado is a small town but one of the most expensive places to be during ski season in the United States. Same for Boracay during holidays. Edited by tomaw