Tagaytay

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Lightning hit a coconut tree right next to the power pole

Just curious, did the lightning strike knock off the coconuts? Maybe explode them from boiling.

Well the coconuts did not explode but it blew off half the leaves, most of the cocnuts, and killed the tree.  It was pretty cool realy, and luckily only blew out my power supply on my computer.  So I bought a new power supply and got the AVR I should have had anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replys.  I ended up just buying and shipping a couple of converters.   Will use those to power some of the kitchen appliances we shipped.

There was another place about an hour from Manila, climate similar to Tagaytay but I cant think of the name of the place...Anybody??

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all the replys.  I ended up just buying and shipping a couple of converters.   Will use those to power some of the kitchen appliances we shipped. There was another place about an hour from Manila, climate similar to Tagaytay but I cant think of the name of the place...Anybody??

Tagaytay is south. Our family farm is located about 75 kilometers east of Metro Manila in the foothills of the Sierra Madre Mountains. The elevation is 1,200 feet above sea level. Other areas are closer to 1,800 feet. City folks complain it is sometimes colder than Baguio. Our area is known as Sampaloc, Tanay, Rizal.

Closer to Metro Manila is Antipolo City which is also higher elevation. Unfortunately, the valley below is Marikina and you get a lot of the city pollution.  

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I hope to be exploring Tanjay city and Valencia on Negros as slightly cooler places to live. Unless you absolutely have to live in a single place to get services you need, keep an open mind. I think you are definitely on the right track if the significant other does the bargaining : )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
compstreet
Posted
Posted

Agree with most of the input you've received so far, but would add a few thoughts:

1. Tagaytay is wonderful - especially for expats looking for a quiet cooler place away from the pollution and congestion of the city. If you play golf, there's nothing better than the highlands! We are members of the golf and country club there and will use it often!

2. I moved to the Philippines with my balikbayan wife just last month. While we have a local account with BDO, we also have an HSBC Premier Account in the States, which includes a world MasterCard and a debit/ATM card. We don't pay foreign transaction fees and generally get reimbursed for ATM fees as well, BUT I've found that the 200 peso charge incurred by using a non-HSBC ATM here is not broken out separately and the net USD amount deducted from our account appears to include the charge.

3. Getting a lot of cash from a local bank can be trying, as they log every note disbursed (due to counterfeiting, apparently). But as much getting used to it as it will take - cash is king here and you'll need to keep a stash hidden in your home and stock up the wallet as needed. For us, the ATM thing with our US HSBC account is working well, but be wary of where and when you visit an ATM (mall locations during the day are best).

4. While it can be a lot cheaper to live here, you'll be well served to consider "going local" and becoming selective about how many "necessities" from the US that you MUST have in your day-to-day life. The more you can accept that some things are just not found cheaply, the happier you'll be. Find a good friend or family member in the States to pack and send you regular balikbayan boxes and you'll figure out in short order how to fill it, be patient and realize the great joy in receiving it on the other end.

5. Lastly, living here means being blessed with a new reality in which you will come to rely on a lot of personal services from locals. This can be a huge ego booster, but please don't forget that we are the guests here and it will take us time to understand our context after arriving. There is a reason why I use the term "blessed", because you'll find yourself being grateful (and sometimes even a little uncomfortable) for all the help you receive from others. PLEASE show them the courtesy of a small tip whenever possible and try not to see it as only "being targeted as a rich expat". While that sort of things does exist too (let your wife bargain shop and make bigger purchases), it's helpful to accept it as a way of life here and as your responsibility as a member of society. It's a new concept for may Americans, but you can make a real difference in the lives of others who don't have your means to support themselves. So carefully consider choosing to seeing it as a blessing to be in a position to give back. It's a big adjustment - especially for an American - but going in with open eyes, open ears and an open mind will make it that much easier for you and you'll find yourself to be a happier person too.

Good luck on your move!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello CompStreet,

We apologize for the slight delay in approving your very first post.  Another excellent boots on the ground report

from a brand new member.  Thank you for your insights and look forward reading your comments and suggestions.

Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hmmm, just back to the power converter thing;  In my experience most household electrical goods were rated from 90-250V these days which covers just about everywhere and all are needed are plug adapters.  Is this not the case?  I just remember having to buy converters for anything I purchased overseas up until about 2000 then after that it was no longer so.  Very good advice on the surge protection/regulators -  My tablet suffered a slow and painful death in PI recently. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
saltydog
Posted
Posted

I rerally enjoy Tagatay, It's a good retreat from Manila. Clean air and clean street.

There is a small expat community there, but the shopping is kind of limited but you can drive for about 20 minutes to the local mall and you are only about an hour away from Manila if you need to get hard to find items.

One of the best things about Tagatay is you have access to some of the best produce and there are a lot of good resturaunts in the area.

And to answer your other question yes always have your wife do all the nogotiations, you will almost never get the best deal.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
jmvalle
Posted
Posted

Hi Salyty dog,

I am also looking to move to Tagaytay or nearby and beings you live there maybe we could have a conversation about the area suggestions on where I might check out or stay away from, cost of living there you know the nuts and bolts of living there. Things I should avoid. I sure would appreciate a reply. Thanks so much for your time, looking forward to hearing from you 

I rerally enjoy Tagatay, It's a good retreat from Manila. Clean air and clean street.

There is a small expat community there, but the shopping is kind of limited but you can drive for about 20 minutes to the local mall and you are only about an hour away from Manila if you need to get hard to find items.

One of the best things about Tagatay is you have access to some of the best produce and there are a lot of good resturaunts in the area.

And to answer your other question yes always have your wife do all the nogotiations, you will almost never get the best deal.

• Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Hi jmvalle, I am planning to move (back) to the Philippines for good in one year (cross my fingers!).

I briefly considered Tagaytay, but got a tip about Lipa City which is a short distance south of Tagaytay. It's much less touristy and less expensive and from everything I've read and everyone I've talked to is a beautiful and peaceful city. Just something to look into maybe.

• Like 2