Living Naked In The Jungle

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

yes the tropical mosquito, i remrmber one nite j woke upand i was flying through the air , i wonder what h--- am i doing here, well i looked around and one mosquito had me by the nape of my neck and the other and had by the seat of my pants , i wasn t worried untill i heard the one mosquito ask the other one to the river or the mountains? and the other replied we re not going to the mountains "the big ones will take him away from us there". they used sound like a jet fly around you.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you are curled up with a sweet girl and your are a dirty old man, you will find that the mosquitoes tend to bite the sweet meat and leave us DOM alone.  One of the advantages :-)

Oh is that the reason mosquitios normaly leave me alone, when they have anyone else to chose from!   :)   

I thought it depended of something I eat/drink different (I'm vegetarian.)

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Nice place Jake, but if we were all naked there I am afraid I might scare away all the natives, what with my white skin, and hair, and....  well lets just say all the extra bits flopping around every time I breath!.... and I'm not talking about anything between my legs!

Mosquitos, seem to be attracted to white skin, from what I understand it has more to do with how we sweat!

You know, now that I think about it, scaring away the natives might not be such a bad idea, at least I won't have to worry about the neighbours and their Kareoke, as for the dogs and roosters, well if I get hungry......,

Besides I will have my years supply of Bygon at hand!

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had not thought of it that way Carl... I may have to reconsider... how much you want for that place Jake?    :tiphat:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Mosquitos, seem to be attracted to white skin, from what I understand it has more to do with how we sweat!

It has been my observation (my own experiences only) that mosquitoes everywhere are more attracted to non-locals, or perhaps its just that we build up a certain amount of immunity to the local mosquitoes the longer we live there.  Nah, Going back to the first hypothesis as whenever I have moved to a new area I have noticed mozzies clouding around me and leaving the locals alone but after a year or so its the next new person they cloud around.  I find them to be colour blind but they love fresh meat.

Edit:  Just a note to explain the difference between a hypothesis and an observation.  My observation was formed as a white skinned man surrounded by groups of brown skinned Natives in the Yukon and Alaskan tundra.  Its a real occurrence that can and has been repeatedly demonstrated (in my own experience so I cannot link to it), not a theory.  I can also tell from my own experience that living in my house in Philippines, brown skinned visitors (from other Philippine islands) who are new to the area get itchy bites way more than me, now that I am acclimatized to the local mozzies.  When I first arrived (on this island), I was the one noticing the bites.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

i tend to agree with you - both my husband and son suffers the mosquito bite

It has been my observation (my own experiences only) that mosquitoes everywhere are more attracted to non-locals, or perhaps its just that we build up a certain amount of immunity to the local mosquitoes the longer we live there.  Nah, Going back to the first hypothesis as whenever I have moved to a new area I have noticed mozzies clouding around me and leaving the locals alone but after a year or so its the next new person they cloud around.  I find them to be colour blind but they love fresh meat.

i agree with the 1st hypothesis -  i dont seem to have problems with mozzies in PI but as i said earlier the husband and children are eaten alive.  Hoever, my sons pet peeve are the cockroaches ..............  he just go crazy everytime he sees them which are virtually ALL the time  :hystery:

jakey ...........  i love that photo - where is that exactly in PI or is it in PI at all????????????

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am back from our two weeks holiday. Fell in love with our future RV. I am now searching the Internet for all kinds to gadgets to add.

Jake, the house looks good for picture taking, but impractical for you and your significant other(s). In addition to mosquitoes, you will attract neighbors with telephoto lens on their cameras and those equipped with powerful binoculars. 

Speaking about mosquitoes. Caucasians who consume whole bread receive a sufficient daily dosage of vitamin B. When they go to the tropics and switch to rice, they don't get enough. The unscientific theory I heard years ago from professional photo journalists who were in Vietnam is to take an excess dosage of vitamin B. The excess B escapes through your pores. Mosquitoes don't like the odor. They won't bite. I follow the practice whenever I am in the Philippines. While the excess B produces a slight odor, it is more pleasant than using an insect repellent. By the way, only the female mosquitoes bite. They need blood as part of their reproduction DNA. Go figure.

• Like 4

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

I am back from our two weeks holiday. Fell in love with our future RV. I am now searching the Internet for all kinds to gadgets to add.

Jake, the house looks good for picture taking, but impractical for you and your significant other(s). In addition to mosquitoes, you will attract neighbors with telephoto lens on their cameras and those equipped with powerful binoculars. 

Speaking about mosquitoes. Caucasians who consume whole bread receive a sufficient daily dosage of vitamin B. When they go to the tropics and switch to rice, they don't get enough. The unscientific theory I heard years ago from professional photo journalists who were in Vietnam is to take an excess dosage of vitamin B. The excess B escapes through your pores. Mosquitoes don't like the odor. They won't bite. I follow the practice whenever I am in the Philippines. While the excess B produces a slight odor, it is more pleasant than using an insect repellent. By the way, only the female mosquitoes bite. They need blood as part of their reproduction DNA. Go figure.

thanks for that interesting post J..........

i have to remember that Vitamin B especially when we go to the Highlands (Scotland).  The problem is Scotland is midges and I hate going up north because of them.  they just swarm you and eat you alive!!!  

Midges are like mosquitos but very tiny so perhaps your miracle Vitamin B would work, ill give it a try anyway next time im up.  so thanks for the info.

ashanti

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Do you mean whole grain bread?

Bread made by white flour LOCK B vitamins so the body can't absorb it, so geting to litle, making problems with nails, hair and cracked skin.

That suit to why mosquitos don't like to bite me (I eat whole grain.)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Do you mean whole grain bread?

Yes, I meant whole grain bread. I can identify six varieties of rice by their shape and size, but bread to me is just bread, except for white bread, which is terrible. During our travels, I purchased a container of croissants at Walmart after refusing to pay $2 a croissant at Whole Foods. The Walmart croissants tasted like flour mixed with newspapers.

In Hawaii, all our breakfasts includes Wasa flatbread from Sweden.