Everyone Okay? - Earthquake

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Cebu and Bohol were hit with a 7.2.  Many fatalities.  Short angry one felt it in Dumguete.

Everyone ok?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24530042

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Everyone ok?

Well yes, we are fine here in Northern Dumaguete like you I guess, always a little feaful of the Aftershocks, they seem to be over. Now , we have the rain to contend with, Lets just hope, it does not turn into another disaster for this  City of gentle people :no:

Whilst The locals weren't that Quiet at the time, all the animals and Fowl seemed to be Mute for a while. Ahh Bliss but at what cost?

No damage with the House (except one wall crack, on a weak thin finish above an electric outlet)

Other than that, all is well. Thank You for Asking my friend :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear it Jack.  SAO is fine and apparently the house is good too. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear it Jack.  SAO is fine and apparently the house is good too. 

I guess this sort of thing is another thing, I will have to get used too! :)

No Electric But plenty of Shocks :hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

We had a series of earthquakes (Quake and aftershocks) a year ago on the island I live.  It was not quite as strong as the one we just went through here in Cebu but it was still about a 6.  Point being it took a year for all the cracks in the house to show up.  Seems like there were stresses inside the cement that took time to break through to the surface.  I'm talking about a dozen or more cracks in areas around doors and windows etc.

This quake in Cebu has left many/most buildings with some damage.  I would say that most will only require minimal repairs but few buildings survived without at least a crack or two.  That is just from my experience walking around Cebu city in the last 24 hours.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Cebu and Bohol were hit with a 7.2.  Many fatalities.  Short angry one felt it in Dumguete.

Everyone ok?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24530042

and now here is the story to the link w/photos

At least 93 people have been reported dead after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit the central Philippines.

The quake happened at 08:12 (00:12 GMT) on a national holiday.

The US Geological Survey said it struck below the island of Bohol,

where officials reported most casualties.

People were also killed in the province of Cebu.

Historic churches were among the many damaged buildings,

and stampedes were reported in two cities.

At least 69 of those confirmed dead were from Bohol,

according to reports citing disaster management officials.

Fifteen people are known to have been killed in Cebu, and another was reported dead on the neighbouring island of Siquijor.

_70480443_philippines_cebu_oct13.gif

Dozens of others are also being treated for injuries.

Search and rescue operations are being conducted, with rescuers finding themselves hampered by damaged roads.

At least five people died when part of a fishing port collapsed in Cebu,

and two others were also reported dead when a roof fell at a market.

At least three people also died during a stampede at a sports complex in Cebu,

provincial disaster chief Neil Sanchez said.

"There was panic when the quake happened and there was a rush toward the exit," he told AFP.

The tremor triggered power cuts in parts of Bohol, Cebu and neighbouring areas, say reports citing the country's disaster management agency.

Officials from Bohol and Cebu have declared a state of emergency

in their respective provinces, local media say.

An official from the government agency which monitors earthquake activity was quoted as saying that this was the strongest tremor felt in the area in the last 23 years.

President Benigno Aquino is expected to visit the affected areas on Wednesday.

_70493829_019650792-1.jpgA 7.2 quake struck underneath Bohol island, damaging structures like this old church in Loboc town.
_70499811_019650680-1.jpgA huge crack has appeared in a road in Bohol province as a result of the earthquake.

_70481298_019646479-1.jpgDamage was also reported in neighbouring Cebu, about an hour away by plane from the capital, Manila.

_70481302_019646685-1.jpgPeople ran out onto the streets in Cebu - one of the country's major cities.

_70499813_019650252-1.jpgA police officer surveys the damage in Cebu city.
_70490284_019648917-1.jpgMany were also evacuated from buildings, like this hospital in Cebu, where patients were led to safer areas.

_70465672_019646669-1.jpgAt least five people died when part of this port building collapsed in Cebu.

Edgardo Chatto, the governor of Bohol, said a city hall building was damaged on the island.

Heavy damage to roads, bridges and historic churches,

some dating back to the Spanish colonial period in the 1500s and the 1600s, was also reported in Bohol and Cebu.

British man David Venables, who has lived in Cebu for seven years, said it was the strongest quake he had experienced.

"It's a very strange and frightening experience when the very foundations of the house and surrounding area shake uncontrollably," he said.

Bonita Cabiles, a resident of Mandaue city in Cebu,

told the BBC she was woken up when she felt the ground rumbling.

She said there was a lot of structural damage in the area, including to the bell tower of the Santo Nino church in Cebu, one of the most well-known churches in the country.

It was fortunate that it was a national holiday and the students were not in school, she said.

There were reports of aftershocks following the quake.

The Philippine Red Cross said in a statement that they had mobilised staff and volunteers to affected areas.

Cebu province, with a population of more than 2.6 million,

is about an hour away by plane from Manila.

Neighbouring Bohol, a favourite of tourists because of its sandy beaches, is a short boat ride away from Cebu.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
This quake in Cebu has left many/most buildings with some damage.

Public schools in Cebu City are closed until they can inspect them. Do you know if govt offices are open?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

and now here is the story to the link w/photos

:AddEmoticons04230:  Good Morning Pittman, I for One, applaud you here, a well written Post, it shows just what it is happening and just how lucky most of us are, even though, we moan about the loss of power and the slight Damage done to our homes and areas :why-me:

We sometimes do not think beyond ourselves. This post, says it all :(

I Thank You for sharing and the time it took to compose it 

Regards jack P :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Hoping that all members in Cebu and Bohol are safe and well , thinking of the Filipinos at this time,may God bless them

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Do you know if govt offices are open?

This is a late reply but I flew home from Cebu yesterday and the airport was operating with only minor apparent damage.  Supercat offices were closed yesterday morning and I got tired of waiting for SuperCat.  They have cancelled more trips in the last week than they have operated.  First because of rough water and then because of the earthquake and I hear there is more bad weather coming so they will shut down again.

As to your question, I do not know but the damage in most cases is minimal so I suspect they will all be operating.

• Like 1