Jury Duty

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

I got a Jury Duty Summons today. It's for next month so I'll still be here in New York. But what about the next time when I will be in the Philippines ?

My plan ..I guess will be to mail them a letter from the Philippines telling them I moved there.

I'm going to be staying on a Balikbayan stamp each year. I will be using my brothers address here in US for any mail. Has anyone come across this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

a letter letting them know you are in PI along with maybe a dash of "financial distress" to make the "unaffordable"

travel arrangements should do the job.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Hopefully this linkslisted below  can answer your questions

*And thank GOD that some countries have a Jury system for the accused*

http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml

Who must report?

There are no automatic exemptions or excuses from jury service in New York State. Everyone who is eligible must serve. You are eligible to serve as a juror in New York State if you are:
1) a United States citizen,
2) at least 18 years old, and
3) a resident of the county to which you are summoned to serve.

In addition, jurors must

4) be able to understand and communicate in the English
language, and
5) not have been convicted of a felony

top.gif

What happens if a juror does not report for jury service?

Jury duty, like paying taxes, is mandatory. Skipping jury duty can result in civil or criminal penalties. In addition, anyone who skips jury service will be assigned a new date for future jury service.

top.gif

What accommodations are available for jurors with disabilities?

The court provides services or aids to reasonably accommodate jurors with disabilities. Aids that are generally available for hearing impaired people include assistive listening devices, sign language interpreters, and “real-time” captioning of court proceedings. Courts may also be able to provide a reader for visually impaired jurors. A juror who has a mobility impairment and is sent to a courtroom with access problems may be reassigned to a different location that has better access. TDD users can call the relay service at 1-800-662-1220 to place the call. Some courts may have a TDD or TTY in the Clerk’s office. Access questions or requests for assistance should be addressed to a jury commissioner, court clerk or judge.

top.gif

Can jurors postpone jury service for a later date?

You can postpone your service once by calling 800-449-2819 at least one week before your date of service. Have your juror index number (from your summons) with you when you call.

Pick a date between 2 and 6 months from the date on your summons and you will be assigned the available date closest to your choice.

Any future postponement request or request for excusal from jury service must be made by calling your local commissioner of jurors office.

If you cannot serve even if granted a postponement,

you may contact your local commissioner of jurors office and ask to be excused from service. The commissioner may ask you to provide documentary proof of the reasons why you need to be excused.

top.gif

http://www.nyjuror.gov/moved.shtml

Have You Moved?

Eligible jurors in New York State are selected randomly from the following sources:

• Voter Registration Records
  • Department of Motor Vehicles Records
  • State Tax Return Filings
  • Public Assistance and Department of Labor Records

If you are receiving Notices regarding jury service in a County in which you no longer reside, you must update your address information and provide proof of the same to the Commissioner of Jurors’ office.

http://www.nyjuror.gov/index.shtml

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Earlier this year I received a jury summons. I was able to contact the court by email to explain I was outside of the US and they exempted me. I recently received another notice for jury duty which I am just ignoring. I have no plans to spend much time back in that jurisdiction so why bother.

• Like 3

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

Earlier this year I received a jury summons. I was able to contact the court by email to explain I was outside of the US and they exempted me. I recently received another notice for jury duty which I am just ignoring. I have no plans to spend much time back in that jurisdiction so why bother.

you may want to consider at least responding. I have no specific info but I would wonder if it is ignored and

charges are brought against you if it could have potential effects on the status of your passport? of course

you would find out at the least convenient time possible like upon arrival in a foreign country....

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I don't know aboiut outher states but in Maryland we send a questioner for jury duty.  If not responded to, the Chief Judge of the county will issue a letter demanding you report to the clerks office to complete the questioner.  This letter is hand delivered by a deputy sheriff.  This is just a letter, not a summons.  The deputy will later report to the court clerk his findings.  If the subject is unable to be contacted in person by the deputy for any various reasons, such as in the hospital, nursing home, college out of the area, moved out of the state/country either temp or permitly, the deputy will make note of the reasons the subject was not served the letter.  In Maryland, no action can be take against the subject if they were not hand served.  Here we get names from voter registrations and driver license.  Of course, this is Maryland.  Could be handled 49 other ways!

danny

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Worst thing you want to do is ignore any kind of American government notice. Some of the people in those office's really enjoy the power trip and would have no qualms about making your life a miserable hell. 

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Worst thing you want to do is ignore any kind of American government notice. Some of the people in those office's really enjoy the power trip and would have no qualms about making your life a miserable hell. 

This just reminds me of a quote from V for Vendetta: 'People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.'

• Like 5

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I think it's better to inform them I am out of the country rather than ignore them. If they want to pay for my airfare that's fine.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

This just reminds me of a quote from V for Vendetta: 'People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.'

Triple like this, excellent quote! Should be sent to all politicians of every kind and place.

Papa Carl

• Like 1