Looking For Practical Advice On Annulment / Adultery

Shol
Posted
Posted

Anyone here actually gone through the entire process of an annulment ? 

I don't know if it's allowed to suggest to meet but would be great to have coffee with someone who is NOT a lawyer who is in a position to make money.

Or can do private message to me that would be cool if it's ok.

Thanks po

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know how to solve it - because I try hard to stay out of such problems  :)   - but it's a HUGE difference between annulment and adultery problems.

/Annulment. A lawyer can normaly  SOLVE it, it just take time, and cost rather much money.

/Adultery and even just living with a separated Filipina, Ph law see as a CRIME where the punishment for foreigners can be DEPORTATION. (In an other topic recently a foreigner had to pay bail to get out of jail in a case where adultery was a part. )

So if you want to live with a separated Filipina, make sure the annulment is READY first...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippines in theory does not offer divorce. The replacement procedure is annulment, which is a legal way of declaring that the marriage never took place or was illegal. The classic example is impotence. If the marriage act never happened, this is ground for annulment. Many husbands are willing to make such a declaration or at least not contest the declaration of impotence made by the wife. An example of illegal is if the husband or wife were previously married. This means one or both parties could not enter into a contract (marriage). 

You need to consult with a Catholic priest as to the requirements and what reason is acceptable. The paperwork may have to go all the way to the Vatican for approval. 

Another way popular with wealthy Filipinos is a divorce decree from the Dominican Republic. The example is a high school classmate Tommy Manotoc married to Aurora Pijuan. She refused the annulment process and he got a divorce from the Dominican Republic to marry Aimee Marcos, the eldest daughter of then President Ferdinand E. Marcos. Because it was a contested divorce, a potential problem was their children might be declared as illegitimate at a future date. So Aimee and Tommy would come to Hawaii to give birth because the United States recognizes the Dominican Republic decree. The children would be legitimate and potentially US citizens when they grow up.

As to the cost, a Philippine lawyer would try to guess how much you are willing to spend, double the price and haggle the fees from there. Try to get the lawyer to agree to a package deal rather than an hourly rate plus expenses.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
So Aimee and Tommy would come to Hawaii to give birth because the United States recognizes the Dominican Republic decree. The children would be legitimate and potentially US citizens when they grow up.

If they were born in Hawaii (post 1959) why wouldn't they automatically be US citizens, regardless of parentage? 

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all these responses.

I have already accepted and am in the middle of a "package" deal and it's not too bad.

There are just some other concerns that I would like to talk about preferably to someone who has gone through the process.

Most of the stuff i'd want to discuss is not really related to the law it's more related to how things usually go; hard to explain but would  prefer to keep it off of any public message boards.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's contribution so far :)

The Philippines in theory does not offer divorce. The replacement procedure is annulment, which is a legal way of declaring that the marriage never took place or was illegal. The classic example is impotence. If the marriage act never happened, this is ground for annulment. Many husbands are willing to make such a declaration or at least not contest the declaration of impotence made by the wife. An example of illegal is if the husband or wife were previously married. This means one or both parties could not enter into a contract (marriage). 

You need to consult with a Catholic priest as to the requirements and what reason is acceptable. The paperwork may have to go all the way to the Vatican for approval. 

Another way popular with wealthy Filipinos is a divorce decree from the Dominican Republic. The example is a high school classmate Tommy Manotoc married to Aurora Pijuan. She refused the annulment process and he got a divorce from the Dominican Republic to marry Aimee Marcos, the eldest daughter of then President Ferdinand E. Marcos. Because it was a contested divorce, a potential problem was their children might be declared as illegitimate at a future date. So Aimee and Tommy would come to Hawaii to give birth because the United States recognizes the Dominican Republic decree. The children would be legitimate and potentially US citizens when they grow up.

As to the cost, a Philippine lawyer would try to guess how much you are willing to spend, double the price and haggle the fees from there. Try to get the lawyer to agree to a package deal rather than an hourly rate plus expenses.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Are you a citizen of Philippines? If yes annulment is your only option. If you are a Foreigner or dual citizen divorce may be a simple mater.

Adultery has little to do with anything unless you are a Foreigner man living with or married to a Filipina then it could cause you serious issues$$$$$$$

My Filipina sister in law recently got an annulment. From what I understand you must have a lawyer who has experience with annulments.

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

I am working with someone who has successfully processed about 15 annulments it's a reputable firm.

As for the divorce I have consulted lawyers in Canada and I would have to resume residency there for at least a year or they won't touch me.

You have touched upon some of the things I won't want to comment on an open forum however Old55 sounds like your sister in law is someone who would be good to talk with :)

Are you a citizen of Philippines? If yes annulment is your only option. If you are a Foreigner or dual citizen divorce may be a simple mater.

Adultery has little to do with anything unless you are a Foreigner man living with or married to a Filipina then it could cause you serious issues$$$$$$$

My Filipina sister in law recently got an annulment. From what I understand you must have a lawyer who has experience with annulments.

Americano
Posted
Posted

So Aimee and Tommy would come to Hawaii to give birth because the United States recognizes the Dominican Republic decree. The children would be legitimate and potentially US citizens when they grow up.

If they were born in Hawaii (post 1959) why wouldn't they automatically be US citizens, regardless of parentage? 

Even if Aliens come from 1,000 lights years away and have a baby in the USA their baby is automatically a US citizen. A very strange law but that's the way it is.

The end results of an Annulment is the same as a Divorce, it just costs a lot more and takes a lot longer as almost everything does in the Philippines. Takes long, costs more and more bribes to pay. Its a good example of corruption at its finest.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
JJReyes, on 30 Oct 2013 - 1:36 PM, said: So Aimee and Tommy would come to Hawaii to give birth because the United States recognizes the Dominican Republic decree. The children would be legitimate and potentially US citizens when they grow up. If they were born in Hawaii (post 1959) why wouldn't they automatically be US citizens, regardless of parentage? 

Upon reaching the age of maturity, the child can select country of citizenship. The process is not automatic. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

"I am working with someone who has successfully processed about 15 annulments it's a reputable firm."

Sounds like you found your answer.