What Am I Getting Myself Into?

Michealusa
Posted
Posted

To start with I want to say that I will marry a Filipina and live out my years in the Pilippines.This I am sure of and I have no intention of moving her back to the USA.

I have started the online dating thing 6 months ago and of course I have been bombarded with messages from Filipinas, most 18 to 25 and many with children. But I have taken interest in a Filipina that was married to an american before.

Her story is se met him online ,fell in love, they married in the US, she has 2 older girls, he abused her, she divorced him in the US, and she moved back to the Philippines.

She is educated, carries on a good conversation and seems to be honest enough.

But she told me she never stayed long enoug to get a green card and she cant marry in the philippines.

I'm not saying it would get to this pint but if she has been divorced can she remarry and live in the Pilippines without getting into trouble with the law?

Oh and I almost forgot , she has a pending trial ( 3yrs now) where she said she was falsely accused of slapping a child.

So am I getting in over my head?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you haven't met this individual in person, a big YES. 

• Like 4

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

If it were me, I would look this guy up and contact him just to hear what he has to say about what went wrong in the marriage. You never know what you may find out. One thing about some filippinas is that they lie with ease.

(I said some)

It's costly and stressful to get a filippina here in US. I know because I did . My wife is now abandoning her green card and we are moving to the Philippines before the year is over.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Getting in over your head? Yes, run.

First impression: run, second impression, same thing.

My brother who is generally not a mental giant does have a firm grasp on the idea that you do not want drama in your life. To keep drama from your life, you need to have the willpower to say no! to drama. If someone wants to bring drama to your table, inform them that you did not order it and send it back as you would with the wrong dish at a resteraunt. Just say no.

I have personally known some expertly manipulative women, unfortunately for them I am detail oriented. Example, when they say they don't understand why I will not accept their apology, I tell them because they have not yet apologized, and asking why I won't accept their apology is not the same as an apology, just something to watch for, good luck.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

she divorced him in the US,

and she moved back to the Philippines.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But she told me she never stayed long enough

to get a green card and she cant marry in the philippines.

she claims that she is divorced in the USA and moved back here and that she cant REMARRY?

part of that is TRUE . if one has divorced abroad she/he can remarry BUT they have several steps to do in order to 

"freely marry again"

perhaps she is ignorant or has obtain faulty information regarding what she can do

.which is not the 1st time any Filipino/a has received poor advice

or she doesnt want to spend the money/time or effort.

if she has been divorced,,,

if 1 is internet savvy, why not search that record on-line,

as many state/local and federal

court cases/documents are now listed on -line  :photo-109: 

.. regarding her "legal issue" ask her to obtain her NBI and local police clearance. if she claims she cant,,, she is not worth any further time or effort.

why ask for that? if she really has a "court case" it may appear on them.

here is an article that may explain it better

Dear PAO,

I am a Filipino and I am married to an American for almost four years now.

We had our civil wedding.

He went back to the United States after we got married and that was when things started to fall apart. He told me that he will file for divorce in the United States

and will just send me a copy of the court’s decision.

Does this mean that I can marry again, or do I still have to file a petition in court?

Can my husband remarry in the Philippines? Will he need to file a petition too?

Zel

Dear Zel,

You may be able to marry again afterr your husband validly obtains a divorce decree in the United States of America which capacitates him to enter into a new marriage.

This is in consonance with the second paragraph of Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines, as amended by Executive Order 227, which states that: “x x x Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”

However, we would like to emphasize that it is essential for you to file first a petition before our courts for the recognition of such decree of divorce before you may legally enter into a subsequent marriage.

Even if we do not have divorce here in the Philippines, foreign judgments, such as a divorce decree validly obtained abroad, may still be acknowledged as binding in the Philippines,

provided that our courts have passed upon the authenticity of such foreign judgment as well as the national law of the foreigner who sought for its issuance.

This is in consonance with the ruling of the Supreme Court in the case of Corpuz vs. Tirol Sto. Tomas (G.R. No. 186571, August 11, 2010): “x x x This means that the foreign judgment and its authenticity must be proven as facts under our rules on evidence, together with the alien’s applicable national law to show the effect of the judgment on the alien himself or herself. 

The recognition may be made in an action instituted specifically for the purpose or in another action where a party invokes the foreign decree as an integral aspect of his claim or defense. x x x”

Insofar as your husband is concerned,

he may not file a petition for recognition of the said divorce decree on the basis of the second paragraph of Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines. The benefit granted by this provision is only applicable to the Filipino spouse.

The alien spouse can claim no right therefrom (Corpuz vs. Tirol Sto. Tomas).

But this does not mean that he may no longer enter into a contract of marriage in the Philippines after validly obtaining a divorce decree in the United States.

(read this clearly.listed below)

He may still marry in the Philippines, provided that he institutes a petition for judicial recognition of the divorce decree, specifically for the purpose, and a competent Philippine court grants the same.

We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

http://manilatimes.net/petition-to-recognize-foreign-divorce-decree/1276/

(i smell something fishy? my gut feeling,its a Scam)

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Oh and I almost forgot , she has a pending trial ( 3yrs now) where she said she was falsely accused of slapping a child.
In USA or in the Philippines?

If it's in the Philippines, then it WASN'T only slapping...

An follow questions is WHY would that person want to "falsely accuse" her...   Such happens against innocents too, but it can too have been a REVENCHE for something she have done, and if so - what?

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Mate, out of all those filipinas who bombarded you chose this one. Why ? Maybe you're attracted to drama.

Some guys are.

Personally I can live without it.

You seem to be in trouble already, and you haven't started yet.

Spin the wheel again mate ! :tiphat:

• Like 4

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

40+ MILLION Filipinas here........

.........Why attach yourself to one with a broken wing?

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The lady you have been exchanging emails with seems to have some issues but she could be special. I guess you would only know once you spend some time with her. Her older children are from a Filipino boy friend or the American guy? Are the children living with her? If you truly like this woman go spend some time with her and her family and friends then decide. The worst thing that could happen is you will have a great vacation and learn about Philippines.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

To start with I want to say that I will marry a Filipina and live out my years in the Pilippines.This I am sure of and I have no intention of moving her back to the USA.

I have started the online dating thing 6 months ago and of course I have been bombarded with messages from Filipinas, most 18 to 25 and many with children. But I have taken interest in a Filipina that was married to an american before.

Her story is se met him online ,fell in love, they married in the US, she has 2 older girls, he abused her, she divorced him in the US, and she moved back to the Philippines.

She is educated, carries on a good conversation and seems to be honest enough.

But she told me she never stayed long enoug to get a green card and she cant marry in the philippines.

I'm not saying it would get to this pint but if she has been divorced can she remarry and live in the Pilippines without getting into trouble with the law?

A very smart man gave me this advice on the forum a few weeks ago, I wish I would have had it about 2 years ago, it would have saved me money and heartache....this is the advice he gave me in regards to pinay :)

" My friend said that filipinas view compassion as a weakness to be exploited.  It is what they learn when being raised in a struggle to survive.  They learn how to exploit your compassion VERY well.  It does not mean they cannot learn otherwise but they have to overcome instincts instilled in them in their formative years in order to do so.  So about the snake.  You can have compassion for a snake, you can love it, and feed it, and nurse it when sick, and even believe it loves you back,  But the minute you let your guard down, the snake will still bite you.  Beware of snakes."

• Like 3