Typhoon Haiyan

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

the storm is over and it was a big area of destruction.

but i have looked and cant find any single map that shows the ENTIRE AREA that was affected

can any member post or give a link?

this area is extremely big and  i have tried to phantom the area/cities involved

and still cant "see the whole" picture.

• 2 weeks later...
Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

'Yolanda' death toll nears 6,000

ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 12/09/2013 11:33 AM | Updated as of 12/09/2013 11:33 AM

MANILA – The official death toll from super typhoon "Yolanda" has risen to 5,924, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.

In its 6 a.m. Monday update, the NDRRMC said 128 more people were confirmed killed in the worst-hit city of Tacloban in Leyte.

Majority of the fatalities were from Eastern Visayas at 5,582 (5,087 in Leyte; 265 in Eastern Samar; 224 in Samar; and 6 in Biliran).

In Tacloban, 2,321 bodies have yet to be identified. The number of missing remains at 1,779: 1,671 in Leyte; 38 in Samar; 24 in Palawan; 20 in Eastern Samar; 15 in Antique; 5 in Cebu; 4 in Iloilo and 1 each in Guimaras and Capiz.

The NDRRMC said at least 27,022 people were wounded after the typhoon crashed into central Philippines last November 8.

At least 2,602,584 families or 12,279,561 individuals were affected by the typhoon, with 3,988,931 people displaced.

Some 585,134 homes were totally destroyed while at least 592,060 houses were partially damaged.

The cost of damage from the typhoon, meanwhile, rose to P35,527,886,330.67 (P18,206,735,334.29 for infrastructures and P17,321,150,996.38 for agriculture products).

At least P1,036,779,736.67 worth of relief assistance has been provided to the affected families by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Health (DOH), local government units, and non-government organizations.

Foreign aid pledges, meanwhile, have reached P21,191,259,734.15 (P3,729,159,695.10 cash and P17,462,100,039.05 non-cash), according to the government's Foreign Aid

Edited by Medic Mike
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Well they used existing buildings such as schools and halls. This sort of disaster does not happen every day so places like Samar which is the poorest of the poor are not going to have state of the art facilities waiting to be used. People can only do as much as they can and with what they have.

OK. Tacloban have mountains close and even within the city, so I thought they had some schools and such in high ground too.

1. Tacloban does NOT have mountains in the city.

2. Ever heard of a landslide?

3. Exposure to the wind itself probably wasn't all that appealing, either.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine is married to the Barangay captain of one of the hardest hit areas in Tacloban.  The people in that barangay did indeed take refuge in their school; and died in the school due to the flooding.  May they R.I.P..  It was a freaking tragedy that you cannot imagine unless you were involved in some way.

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
t was a freaking tragedy that you cannot imagine unless you were involved in some way.

Yes and luckily due to it having been low tide at the time it struck, Bantayan Island was spared a similar fate to Tacloban. May all those that perished RIP