Balikbayan Box Procedure

JMEL
Posted
Posted

So, the fam in Seattle wants to send my Pina wife and I some household goods. Do they just go to LBC to buy a box? LBC Web site says nothing about weight, rates, time to ship, insurance, etc. Can you walk us through the procedure? Also, for future readers not near an LBC office, maybe we should pin those instructions too...

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I used Forex but I think they about are the same.  Fixed rate for the size of the box.  No weight limit!  I picked up my boxes and when I packed them the Forex dude came and picked them up at my house.  I paid him with a check.  I was surprised he said no inventory or customs forms.  We filled out shipping labels only - still seems weird to me.  They are subject to customs inspections, and I have read online that they are ALL inspected by customs, but other x-ray they could not have inspected mine because none of my 11 boxes were opened anywhere during transit.

I did have to pay $8 for each box I took home but got an $8 credit on each box shipped.  It seems to be a good way to keep someone from picking up a bunch of boxes for home storage  :)

I was told it would take approx 2 months but mine took barely a month.  Apparently they sit at the dock until a full ship, then sit in Manilla until they have a full boat, or truck, depending on where it is going. And at each stop it can wait for while.  Mine went from Dallas, to Houston, to LA, to Manilla, to Iloilo, to the province.  Very quickly - so little waiting... your times will vary. 

My large Forex boxes coat about $120 USD each to ship (I forget exactly).  If you compare it to the post office or FedEx you will see that the BB boxes are cheap!  And no weight limit!  

Here is a link I just found with some contact info for numerous BB shippers.  I wish I had it when I was shipping my stuff:   http://www.rtcx.net/balikbayan-boxes-shipping-cargo-boxes-philippines/        :tiphat:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We just got back from a visit to the states. Sent back 3 B boxes ahead of us. To simple. Went to LBC, bought the boxes and got the paperwork (also simple believe it or not). Packed it as full as we could, took it back to LBC, paid $60 for each box and walked way. In Fact LBC had a big sign saying "We ship competitors boxes". Which was good as we got one from Seafood City and sent that also. Good luck

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forex Seattle, call Jhong 253-218-9060. We have dealt with Jhong for four or five years many many times trust him 100%. Large box picked up at your door in the Seattle area shipped to Cebu $80.00 to $85.00. Boxes are five bucks at Seafood City or most Filipino stores. You can have Jhong bring boxes for your next shipment $5.00 each.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

LBC was a great deal in Los Angeles last fall.  $55 per box, free drop of free empty boxes and free pickup of full boxes.

I just looked at their website and it says California is $60 and Washington is $65 per box.  Don't know about the free stuff now.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Mine went from Dallas,

where is the service located in dallas?

can you drop off or they pick up?

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

I have the same questions for Minneapolis/St Paul/St Cloud area. Does any of these shipping companies have an office there? Also, any chance for shipping on Saturday, as from my current location I would have to take a day off work to take a box in myself, and can't really wait around at my house waiting for a pickup either.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the same questions for Minneapolis/St Paul/St Cloud area. Does any of these shipping companies have an office there? Also, any chance for shipping on Saturday, as from my current location I would have to take a day off work to take a box in myself, and can't really wait around at my house waiting for a pickup either.

You can find US agents online or call the LBC or Forex number for an agent location. Yes there are some that I know of in Minneapolis. My wife has a family member living there who ships.

In all cases you can drop off the box to the shipper. In our case having the box picked up at no extra cost is very helpful.

At times there are promos the cost sometimes will go up or down around Christmas.

Large boxes ~$80.00

Smaller boxes - $60.00

Other sized boxes depends on the size.

No pound limit.... Trust me on this!!! :hystery:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You can find US agents online or call the LBC or Forex number for an agent location. Yes there are some that I know of in Minneapolis. My wife has a family member living there who ships.

In all cases you can drop off the box to the shipper. In our case having the box picked up at no extra cost is very helpful.

At times there are promos the cost sometimes will go up or down around Christmas.

Large boxes ~$80.00

Smaller boxes - $60.00

Other sized boxes depends on the size.

No pound limit.... Trust me on this!!! :hystery:

Regarding Saturday, many cities are served by small agents who do it part time.  They should be fairly flexible and you can probably work out a Saturday pickup or a night pickup.  My Forex agent in Cincinnati was like that. 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Mine went from Dallas,

where is the service located in dallas?

can you drop off or they pick up?

Forex does not have an office in Dallas. Nearest one is Houston.  I went to a Filipino guys apartment, near Lake Ray Hubbard, and picked up the boxes.  He came and picked them up from my house after they were packed.  Seemed kind of odd - but it worked.

• Like 3