Uk National Visiting And Buying Property.....but Longer Term

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Hi All,  Have been looking but could do with some on the ground experiences to help.  I visit often Manilla and Cebu with work.  Love the PI and at present purchasing a small condo in Cebu as an investment.

Currently i come in on visit visa at the airport and stay a few days, but understand could stay up to 30 days.

Longer term in months and years to come.......how to go about a more permanent longer term visa process?

Thanks in advance for any offerings.......of wisdom

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There are many alternatives, but your post don't tell enough to know what suit your best.

Will your situation go on with you will travel out of Philippines once a year or so anyway?

/If so, it's easy to just EXTEND the tourist VISA you have allready. (If I remember corect first extension make it becoming 59 days totaly. Second they have started to change to be 6 months, but most places only add 2 months rach time still. Such can be done easy for max 16 (?) months and possible to 24 (?).) Then you just go out of the country and you can start doing same again.

/Or marry a Filipina   :)   That add options.

/I suppouse you are not retiring yet. Otherwice that's one option, which need less processes. (Although I don't believe they bother if you REALY retire  :)   if you just fullfil their demands for such Visa.)

There are more alternatives, but above I guess are the most likely for you   (although perhaps the business investor Visa too, if you have much money to invest to get an easier VISA  :)

brock
Posted
Posted

You only come for a few days at a time and you buying a condo ?

I think you need to stay a much longer period of time before you even think about buying anything in the Philippines.

Keep your money in your Bank in the UK.

• Like 3

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Thanks Thomas and Brock :)

A little more detail........ I have been in middle east for 7 years and visited maybe 3-4 times a year for 7 years so travelled all over, Manila, Tagatay, Boracay, hundred islands, cebu, bacolod etc etc.  Had a few holidays for week or two each in manila, san carlos and boracay.  Have a Filipina gf for past couple of years now also.

Like cebu the best as seems a lot more civilised than some areas i have visited.

Maybe another 4 years here in middle east then retire in cebu is the plan.

For the 30 days is fine but longer term not sure best way forward.

Tax free in Middle east so limited options getting it into UK Brock unfortunately, only really off shore options available.

Will look into the investment visa maybe Thomas and do some research.....

Thanks guys

:cheersty:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Have a Filipina gf for past couple of years now also.
Easiest VISA is if you marry her  :)   (13a)
Maybe another 4 years here in middle east then retire in cebu is the plan. For the 30 days is fine but longer term not sure best way forward.
I asume that mean you will stay 2-8 months in Phils each time. Then it's EASY to use tourist VISA with extensions (until you retire*) You can get 59 days DIRECT when you arrive, and then you can even hire someone or let gf/wife extend it, so you don't need to wait there yourself. (2 or 6 months depending of if they have started with 6 months in the office which handle yours).

*Some even go on with tourirst VISA after retirement. Cost some more, but is easy. 

Retirement VISA have some money deposit demands, which some don't want/can't fullfil.

I skiped the investment VISA myself of some reason, which I have forgot. But it make it easier to get work permit if you will want that.

Here are all alternatives and rules (but often they are slow at updating, so I wouldn't be suprised of they haven't added the 6 month extension)

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/

(Myself I will probably solve it with tourist VISA the first half to a year or so, and then by marriage  :)   (13a) 

although I plan to start/invest in a business. I reach retirement age in a few years, but I plan to start a family too, so I better work several years still :) trying to grow a business, which they can live of after I have died.)

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I was on the 6th floor of my hotel in cebu city when the earthquake hit last month. Running down 6 flights of stairs can only be done so fast.so I was thinking a major earthquake with the hotel crumbling down I probably would not have made it to safety. But as I was on the street counting my blessing I turned and looked up at those giant highrise condo units in the distance. And I vowed right then and there I would NEVER buy a condo unit in a highrise building! But to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

I think high rise as you say is people perception and preference, or not as the case may be.  Having spent seven years living high rise, apartment life in middle east, kinda got used to it now......

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I was on the 6th floor of my hotel in cebu city when the earthquake hit last month. Running down 6 flights of stairs can only be done so fast.so I was thinking a major earthquake with the hotel crumbling down I probably would not have made it to safety. But as I was on the street counting my blessing I turned and looked up at those giant highrise condo units in the distance. And I vowed right then and there I would NEVER buy a condo unit in a highrise building! But to each his own.

The recommended strategy is to purchase a condo at a newer building. As standards change and construction materials improve, you will have stronger buildings to withstand earthquakes, typhoons and even tsunamis. In Honolulu, residential and hotel units constructed during the past 30 years start either on the 6th or 7th floor. The lower floors are for the lobby, stores, restaurants and mostly for the garage. The reason is the maximum height for tsunami and storm surges is less than 50 feet. All the cars would be destroyed, but most residents and hotel guests will survive.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I was on the 6th floor of my hotel in cebu city when the earthquake hit last month. Running down 6 flights of stairs can only be done so fast.so I was thinking a major earthquake with the hotel crumbling down I probably would not have made it to safety. But as I was on the street counting my blessing I turned and looked up at those giant high rise condo units in the distance. And I vowed right then and there I would NEVER buy a condo unit in a high rise building! But to each his own.

The recommended strategy is to purchase a condo at a newer building. As standards change and construction materials improve, you will have stronger buildings to withstand earthquakes, typhoons and even tsunamis. In Honolulu, residential and hotel units constructed during the past 30 years start either on the 6th or 7th floor. The lower floors are for the lobby, stores, restaurants and mostly for the garage. The reason is the maximum height for tsunami and storm surges is less than 50 feet. All the cars would be destroyed, but most residents and hotel guests will survive.

I myself would not listen to the guarantee of a condo builder that my unit on the 39th floor will withstand a 9.7 major earthquake in cebu city. I will take my chances in a home or 2 story townhouse,the percentages to survive are in my favor.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
I myself would not listen to the guarantee of a condo builder that my unit on the 39th floor will withstand a 9.7 major earthquake in cebu city. I will take my chances in a home or 2 story townhouse,the percentages to survive are in my favor.

Whether you prefer a low-rise, mid-rise or high-rise is a personal choice. My wife and son are Realtors and we jointly own a real estate company. For buyers who are afraid of tsunamis, the recommendation is one kilometer inland from the shoreline. An elevation of 25 feet or more is added insurance. For earthquakes, one possibility is a floating foundation construction. It was originally developed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the world famous architect and he used it to construct the Imperial Hotel. When the devastating Tokyo earthquake hit, the Imperial Hotel was one of the few buildings left standing. There are now other construction methods. For high-rise, the structural steel is designed to flex. Japan now has 200 buildings on hydraulics that counteract the movement during an earthquake.  

My wife and I were in the 42nd floor of a Tokyo hotel when the city was part of an earthquake whose epicenter was in Nagano. My estimate is the building swayed eight feet. A nearby tall building would disappear from our view. We stayed away from the window. My fear was shattered glass, although it would more likely be similar to automobile windshields in design. I also soaked towels in water in case of fire. We would use them as wraps in the event of fire. 

Edited by JJReyes