Internet Connections

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

Just a question for you computer geeks, does anyone use a remote access connection for there internet connection there. I have a rac here from the US cost $30 p.m. I use it to run a forex trading platform, it runs 24/7 even when my computer is turned off and for obvious reason must be connected so the trades can be placed and sold. I have only had it for 3 months but they tell me it will run anywhere in the world at any time. I run my local connection here but the rac runs in the back round, if and when I want to check it out just access it with my password. The company that I do my trades with have been using it for years and said they never had a problem with them, support is 24 hours a day and really helpful, even for dumbies like me.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Frosty,

I do some consulting work for the company from which I recently retired.  This is done via remote access to several computers that still reside in my old office in the USA.  In your case, like mine, you can have access from anywhere in the world provided you first have local internet access where you are located.  What I am saying is that if you are in the Philippines, or anywhere else, you must have local internet access in order to gain remote access to the Forex account.  If you need "always on real time access", it would be a good idea to have redundant methods of connecting to the internet in the Philippines.  You may also want to take into consideration loss of power due to storms, repairing of lines, etc.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Sounds like VPN

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike really appreciate your input, I only trade 4 hour charts and just need to be able to access my RAC sometimes, I just place my order and run a stop less to save my a..se in case the trade goes against me. Anyway I can only see how it goes there. Again thanks for the help. One other thing, I take it that if the local connection goes down and you have the RAC open will it close down as well.

• 5 months later...
mowgus
Posted
Posted

A little bit of a hijack but I'm looking to do exactly what Mike is doing in the Philippines and I'm curious about your connection.  I work online, usually remote access into systems all over the world (mostly in US and Canada).  I currently work from Thailand but I'm looking at new options for places to live and I'm considering Cebu.

I don't need crazy fast (although I do use VoIP) and it's more about stability.  What are peoples experience with this in Cebu. I usually use my phone as a backup internet access.  3G here in Thailand is fast enough for me to work from.  How fast is the Internet over the mobile network in Cebu?

Many thanks!

Mark

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Speed and availability varies a lot by location.  It is kind of weird here - there are many ways to access the net but most of it borders on monopoly - depending on location.  Most of the time you have 1 choice for where you live (everyone I know does).  At my last house Globe WiMax was the only option.  None of the dongles worked in my area, and neither did PLDT.  Where I am now is Globe wired broadband only.  PLDT comes close but stops 1 block from my house.  The wireless connections work sporadically. 

It all depends on your location.  If you need internet access for your job hopefully you can find some redundancy.  If you are accessing a remote server and can do it from a phone then you will be better off.  Even when my house loses connection my phone usually can still connect.  Wind, rain, power loss, bad mood, whatever - you lose internet a lot over here 

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would run a VPN back to your RAC for security purposes alone. Also, some web sites block foreign access. With a VPN you can "look" like you are in a different country.

• Like 1

mowgus
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot guys.  Thailand has similar restrictions in some areas.  i.e. I was only able to go with one company in my building.  That has changed recently.  Internet in Thailand is pretty stable, which is the main reason I chose here to live.

Unfortunately, I've heard that the Internet is pretty unstable in Philippines and that's why I haven't tried to live there yet.  It sounds like you're confirming that's the case.  I was hoping that a city as big as Cebu would have stable connections.  Having 24/7 access is crucial to being able to do my job and support datacenters around the world.  I can deal with an outage for a day due to a typhoon but outage every time it rains or just random outages will make my life too stressful.  And yes, I always use VPN.

Thanks for the input everyone.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

As someone else said, it all depends on your location. The larger the city, the more options you have for broadband.

For me what has impacted my internet access has been 'brown outs', loss of electrical power. If I had my DSL modem and wifi router plugged into an UPS then I could still use the internet when the electric is out.

Jake
Posted
Posted

As someone else said, it all depends on your location. The larger the city, the more options you have for broadband.

For me what has impacted my internet access has been 'brown outs', loss of electrical power. If I had my DSL modem and wifi router plugged into an UPS then I could still use the internet when the electric is out.

Hey guys,

Earthdome brought up an interesting point -- there has been previous discussions of having backup power and

regulated power converters for the consumer.  I was wondering if the towers still work during those brownouts?  

Do most of the internet providers and cell sites (WiFi, WiMax and wired DSL) have reliable backup power?  

Just curious -- Jake