Realistically Speaking And Choices....

Curley
Posted
Posted
I agree as we age we should have money available at a reasonable notice thats why I only put a down payment of 40% of my savings for my rental property. I'm enrolled in the Thrift Savings program from my former employee which does invest in the S&P 500 for me,but I don't actively daily indulge in the stock market.As for emergencys I am fully coverage with Blue Cross and I have $60,000. cash on hand,so I think I'm prepared for life's speed bumps.

You have sensibly spread your investments, however we should be discussing the original topic of investing one's nestegg into a single property.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I retire in 12 months at 50 (OK, it's really 16 months but I'm wishing my life away). I want to relocate to either Phils or Thailand and I'm researching available options.   Projected income.... I will have a private pension of approximately $38,000 US per year. What type of lifestyle could that give me..?   I am a westerner and like my beer (not to the point where I fall over every night but I like a few beers) and I fully intent not to stay celibate for the rest of my life so meeting ladies would be nice.   Accomodation plans... I do not own a property in the UK (divorce took care of that). I do not know if it is better to buy a property in the UK to rent out (I could buy an apartment that would generate a further $800 US a month) or would you suggest buying a property in Phils..?   Kenny

You should do okay with $30,000 a year in the Philippines, keeping the remaining $8,000 as a reserve. 

Buying an apartment to generate an additional $800 a month is okay. The alternative is to buy a condo in the Philippines as your residence and save having to spend $800 renting one. 

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I would suggest to anyone thinking of retirement here first live here at least 2 years before selling everything and making the permanent move

Once the colour wears off your rose glasses. You may find you live in a 3rd world country

Not everyone can adapt long term

I have seen a lot of people pack it up after a couple years in fact way more go home than stay from my friend list others are forced to stay because they sold everything and can not afford to go back

Its really not all sunshine and mangos here there is a dark side it takes awhile to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I would suggest to anyone thinking of retirement here first live here at least 2 years before selling everything and making the permanent move

Once the colour wears off your rose glasses. You may find you live in a 3rd world country

Not everyone can adapt long term

I have seen a lot of people pack it up after a couple years in fact way more go home than stay from my friend list others are forced to stay because they sold everything and can not afford to go back

Its really not all sunshine and mangos here there is a dark side it takes awhile to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would change that to 20 years, not 2, before you make a permanent move. It is a 3rd world country moving towards a 4th instead of a 2nd.