Australian Pension Rejected

efigy
Posted
Posted

i just returned to phil from australian,,had a few things to attend to while i was there,,,one was registering for the age pension,,,,just got a email from centerlink saying i am rejected for pension because i live over seas,,,,,,has any other australian had this happen?,,,not sure what my next step is,but i;ll be ringing to see what the story is,,,,,

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know one Aussie that spends 6 weeks over there, and 6 weeks in the PI's.  Back and forth - he says to keep his pension.  Not sure if it is a company pension or government.....

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Could be part of the problem here

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last two years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence. If you travel to a country that Australia has a social security agreement with, you may be able to continue to get your payment under that social security agreement.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#AgePensionPensionSupplement

I think it depends on the circumstances and how long you worked in Australia. This woman had a different experience. http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/12172-can-one-live-comfortably-on-the-australian-retired-pension/?p=63475

I know there's more info on this on this forum and centerlinks site but got to go to work tonight and no time to find it. 

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

The way I understand the OAP from centrelink is, if you have already have it and then go and live overseas, well that's ok.

If you live overseas and then come back and apply for it there are some restrictions on how and if they will pay you, you can check there website out Australian Government, Aged Pensions, do a google search, has all the info there.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
,just got a email from centerlink saying i am rejected for pension because i live over seas,
Did you apply for a normal pension, starting at normal retirement age, and not a guarantee minimum sum because you have earned less?  

If so I see it as FRAUD if they don't pay you, because that's money taken from your earnings when you did work there, suppoused to be paid to you and taxed when you reach retirement age...

efigy
Posted
Posted

yes it was application for normal aged pension,,,having read on centerlink website that you can get pension over seas but it might be reduced after 26weeks,,,,so i dont know now,,,,,its abit disappointing after you play spot the aussie at the shopping malls,there seemed to be so  many new australians,that are eligible for all manner of govmnt payments

Thomas
Posted
Posted
yes it was application for normal aged pension,,,having read on centerlink website that you can get pension over seas but it might be reduced after 26weeks,,,,
Not being a guarantee minimum pension sum, given to them, who have low pension and live IN the country?

If so that's FRAUD, because you have PAID to get it.

How do they explain, what's you are ENTITLED to, is reduced??!!

(In Sweden they are some evil against abroad living by some HIGHER tax on the pension, although we will not use the much SUBSIDESED Swedish hospitals and retirement homes!!!  :bash:   

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Thomas,

In Oz the situation with the OAP is this, when you start work you pay just normal income tax to the government, everyone that work pays( unless you have a very dodgy accountant) there is no special payment for the pension as such and when you reach pension age (65) the government then check all your assets, where you reside, income and you can have a certain amount, after you reach that ceiling your pension if you qualify is reduced accordingly, many people now have private pensions( superannuation) and don't even bother with the government pension. The government has changed all the pension rules over the last few years after realising they just cannot afford to pay them, something everyone else here saw 10 years ago.

So they screw the people that are easy prey for them, the old, the young, and the poor, same the world over

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas,

In Oz the situation with the OAP is this, when you start work you pay just normal income tax to the government, everyone that work pays( unless you have a very dodgy accountant) there is no special payment for the pension as such and when you reach pension age (65) the government then check all your assets, where you reside, income and you can have a certain amount, after you reach that ceiling your pension if you qualify is reduced accordingly, many people now have private pensions( superannuation) and don't even bother with the government pension. The government has changed all the pension rules over the last few years after realising they just cannot afford to pay them, something everyone else here saw 10 years ago.

So they screw the people that are easy prey for them, the old, the young, and the poor, same the world over

Oh they PUNISH them who have saved instead of wasted assets. Swedish government do similar for some other things.

But then it can't be counted as fraud, if they never promised any more than what you wrote  :)

(In Sweden we/employer pay INDIVIDUAL fees for each person, based on income. At the same time it's a kind of GROUP insurance =The Swedish government guarantee each person will go on geting pension undepending of how old each will be, so they lose at one geting old, but winn on one dieing earlier than average (=81.) We get information regularly with predictions what our own pension will be if the fee payment will go on as each have paid earlier.

I will get a crap pension, because I have had own company many years and I have been a "to good" acountant  :mocking:    But I aim at geting some "pension" from income from my company, when I have "halfautomatic" the production, so it functions (almost) without I do anything. Plus I plan to "fool" the Swedish government by becoming old, geting pension many years   :)

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hey thomas, and just when you can't get screwed any more, some wag in the government here now wants to put the pension age here up to 70, hahahahahahh, wants everyone to keep working, yeah right, try getting a job here if you are over 40. if it wasn't so funny the stuff these clowns come out with you would cry. Geez I'll be glad to get away from this mob.

• Like 1