Please Tell Me About Baguio City

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the information about Baguio. We use to drive to Baguio three times a year until discovering Banaue was a better destination. That is not an option for this trip. The quotations for a car and driver plus gasoline is around P6,000 a day. Our hotel then, Hyatt Baguio is no longer in existence. We heard the building collapsed during a major earthquake killing many guests including a close friend.

The Ben Cab Museum should be interesting. We remember him as a very good artist, but more important, quite astute in self promotion. I was recently looking at family albums of our then young children riding horses around Wright Park. We are in the process of digitizing all the album size pictures using equipment manufactured in Taiwan.  Lots of fond memories, but it is time to destroy the old technology (album prints) and view family pictures on a screen. Once the process is complete, the images will be stored in three hard drives. One is to take along during our travels. The other two will be stored in San Diego and Honolulu.  

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the information about Baguio. We use to drive to Baguio three times a year until discovering Banaue was a better destination. That is not an option for this trip. The quotations for a car and driver plus gasoline is around P6,000 a day. Our hotel then, Hyatt Baguio is no longer in existence. We heard the building collapsed during a major earthquake killing many guests including a close friend.

The Ben Cab Museum should be interesting. We remember him as a very good artist, but more important, quite astute in self promotion. I was recently looking at family albums of our then young children riding horses around Wright Park. We are in the process of digitizing all the album size pictures using equipment manufactured in Taiwan.  Lots of fond memories, but it is time to destroy the old technology (album prints) and view family pictures on a screen. Once the process is complete, the images will be stored in three hard drives. One is to take along during our travels. The other two will be stored in San Diego and Honolulu.  

Sounds like it has been over 20 years since your last visit to Baguio. From what I understand Baguio has changed in addition to over 3 times the population. I enjoyed my recent visit to Banaue and Sagada. They say that Sagada is a mini Baguio, what Baguio was like 40-50 years ago.

I enjoyed the Ben Cab Museum. I found some of his art interesting. There is also art from other Filipino artists and native Ifugao artifacts. Plus there is a short eco tour. There is a cafe where I enjoyed turon with ice cream and a cappuccino. It is on the edge of the city, a 150-200 peso cab ride. Had to grab a jeepney for the ride back.

I have done the horse riding at Wright Park. A nice one hour ride through some very nice residential areas.

In the last few years there have been a number of projects underway to improve Baguio. They just finished updating the rose garden area of Burnham park with the addition of 3 fountains. There is a nice upgrade of the Botanical Garden that is almost complete.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
In the last few years there have been a number of projects underway to improve Baguio. They just finished updating the rose garden area of Burnham park with the addition of 3 fountains. There is a nice upgrade of the Botanical Garden that is almost complete.

We noticed a huge improvement to Burnham Park when we were there at the first of the month.  A year had passed, and everything in the park seemed much cleaner and greener, and all the fountains were working.  We enjoy the indoor skating rink but a few leaks in the roof on a rainy day made it more like ice skating!

Earthdrome, let me know if you happen to see roller skates for sale up there.  I want to buy some for our 9 year old for Xmas, and I have never seen them down here.  We are going to spend Xmas here but will be in Baguio for New Year.  Looking forward to the Baguio fireworks!  They don't allow them in Subic.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Earthdrome, let me know if you happen to see roller skates for sale up there.  I want to buy some for our 9 year old for Xmas, and I have never seen them down here.  We are going to spend Xmas here but will be in Baguio for New Year.  Looking forward to the Baguio fireworks!  They don't allow them in Subic.

Roller Skates -- Will check.

I see fireworks every few weeks in Baguio. I wasn't here for New Years, I was down in San Fernando La Union. There it was incredible the amount of private fireworks that were lit off that night, went on for over 3 hours with a crescendo at midnight. The air was thick with black powder smoke. Never seen anything like it and I lived in a US state and county where fireworks were legal and quite a few people had private firework shows.

• Like 2