Download Limits

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Odd question I know given the amount of time I spend in PI, but are there download limits on internet there, I know there are on 3/4G services but what about standard broadband internet connections?  I've never thought to investigate as when I'm at our place it hasn't been an issue yet.  I ask SAO and she looks at me blankly (teaching her to torrent was a bad idea!) so I'd like to know for sure.  Aust and NZ are fairly unique with regards to monthly data limits I know, just want to know what the deal is there.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Good question. I never ran into the limit in the places where I was even when downloading music videos for hours on end on my phone to entertain my girl. I was worried about this too but I think there will be no single answer and that it will be location specific. :tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know, but in an other topic some members claim they get the connection speed REDUCED MUCH, when they have downloaded some, although they have paid for unlimited Internet!  So perhaps have Philippine Internet suppliers an odd definition of "unlimited"...  :)

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have heard rumors of traffic "shaping" which could affect torrent downloads... I have not experienced that and always been able download via torrent as much I care to..

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Good question. I never ran into the limit in the places where I was even when downloading music videos for hours on end on my phone to entertain my girl. I was worried about this too but I think there will be no single answer and that it will be location specific. :tiphat:

Hows the weather or ice storm ? guess your,,,,, is frozen ?

about limits, yes on the "STICK" and what i have experienced so far NO LIMITS on cable/broadband

however in NCR i have read they 1 company does? sky??

robert k
Posted
Posted

Freezing my rear off, had to scurry to cover all the outside hydrants yesterday, but the internet is great. :tiphat:

Throttling is prevalent in the US for mobile phone plans. You may only get 5GB of high speed and unlimited 2GB service. Not too bad if you remember to do your heavy lifting on a wifi connection somewhere. I think a sense of proportion may help also. My first internet connection was broadband and 384 kb/s and 2G where I actually get 2G is plenty fast for me, at least up to now. That may change since I am waiting for my Samsung galaxy note international to arrive. I hear the SGN can turn you into a webhog. :dance:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In the paperwork I got from Globe for my WiMax at the house (wireless modem).  Globe mentioned their slow service and blamed it on greedy downloaders.  They say that people taking more than their fair share, 1 Gb day, will get throttled.  I download more than that lots of times - but my service is already so damn slow I have never noticed any throttling. 

Anytime corporations call for sharing and fairness you know they are covering for their crappy service ha ha

But, yeah they say they will throttle excessive use but I have not noticed any.    :tiphat:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I was using 10GB/month download on a Smart smartphone data plan and did not notice any throttling or limitations.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I use download with Globe all the time and have no problem with downloading games and movies with no apparent problems ..... HOWEVER .... I can't for some reason watch Hulu streaming TV from the US or other services with out a bunch of buffering .... usually after 6:00pm .... but it doesn't seem to effect my downloading for some strange reason ..... go figure .... usually take about 16 hrs. or so to download a 6g game on a 2Mbps service ....

:cheersty:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I use download with Globe all the time and have no problem with downloading games and movies with no apparent problems ..... HOWEVER .... I can't for some reason watch Hulu streaming TV from the US or other services with out a bunch of buffering .... usually after 6:00pm .... but it doesn't seem to effect my downloading for some strange reason ..... go figure .... usually take about 16 hrs. or so to download a 6g game on a 2Mbps service ....

:cheersty:

For traffic routed out of the Philippines to say the US there may be more congestion during the evening hours in the Philippines which corresponds to business hours in the USA due to all the VOIP traffic generated by the call centers. I expect that the VOIP traffic gets priority quality of service for continuous streaming of the voice calls over routine internet traffic.

• Like 4