Living On The Beach

Carlos
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone, i wanted to ask all of you Expats about living on the beach. I am planning on moving to the Cebu area within a couple of months. I see there are plenty of resorts on the beach but I am hoping to be able to find a small place to rent that is near the beach (within walking distance). I see that many of the nice beaches are private beaches. I am hoping to find out if renting a small place near the beach is that easy or hard?

Cheers,

Carlos

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Renting a beach front home can be done it will just take time to find one. Real estate is kinda strange in Philippines you can find places online but will pay a premium price. Finding a deal is more difficult you need to be there to find one more like word of mouth or maybe a small sign on the side of the road.

I guess the best would be if you had a Filipina you trust handle all the details in that way you would not get the "Rich Kano" discount. :bash:

If you go an hour or more north or south of Cebu City prices would be lower and the water would be cleaner. Know that the beaches near to Cebu City are an open sewer.

You are correct, all beaches are owned by someone and its hard to find one you can just walk to and visit.

Another thing you may want to think about is to stay at a modest beach resort for a few weeks in an area you like. If you find the area suits you then ask around about renting a place. Or it could be the resort would be willing to make a long stay price for you.

The best of luck you you on your great adventure Carlos! :cheersty: :thumbsup:

Member Geoff Thomas is located in Cebu City and co-owns a property rental and real-estate business.  Link;

http://cebucityproperty.com/

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Since the typhoon, living on the beach has lost a lot of it's allure. The govt is mandating homes and businesses must be moved back but experts are divided on the safe distance. Our landlady has to "relocate" her beach resort. Easier said then done.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Since the typhoon, living on the beach has lost a lot of it's allure. The govt is mandating homes and businesses must be moved back but experts are divided on the safe distance. Our landlady has to "relocate" her beach resort. Easier said then done.

So the squatters can take it over.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you don't find it to far from Cebu proper, in south of Minglanilla there is a resort, which I forgot the name of. It handle some house renting there too close to the beach.

So the squatters can take it over.

IF following the law, private owners are not allowed to build 30 (?) meters inland from the high tide water line anyway  :)   The coast line belong to the government.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
IF following the law, private owners are not allowed to build 30 (?) meters inland from the high tide water line anyway :) The coast line belong to the government.

Thanks Thomas, I never knew the coastline was public property.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If you don't find it to far from Cebu proper, in south of Minglanilla there is a resort, which I forgot the name of. It handle some house renting there too close to the beach.

Not the Tubod Beach Resort. I hope. It is 4 km from the ocean nowhere near any type of beach. It is down a dusty narrow road 2 km inland from the highway. We wasted a trip there earlier this year. The pics are 10 years old. A 1st class dump.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

IF following the law, private owners are not allowed to build 30 (?) meters inland from the high tide water line anyway :) The coast line belong to the government.

Thanks Thomas, I never knew the coastline was public property.

I don't know if it mean anyone is allowed to be there, I just read it when I checked rules if buying a coast property.

But I know an island where the small village 100 meters away from a nice sand beach count it as public, but perhaps that depend of the land behind is undeveloped raw land so no owner bother  :)

Not the Tubod Beach Resort. I hope. It is 4 km from the ocean nowhere near any type of beach. It is down a dusty narrow road 2 km inland from the highway. We wasted a trip there earlier this year. The pics are 10 years old. A 1st class dump.

I looked at map, and believe it's Tungkop Ruvi Treasure Cove Resort.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would suggest that a short trike ride to the beach may be better or at least not bad, it will provide more choice than walking. It has worked well for me in the past. Text the driver when you are ready to leave. :)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

At cousins house I asked why their well was under water during high tide.  Obviously they no longer use the well.  And they assured me that when the well was installed it was well away from the high tide mark.  A storm, some years back, moved the shoreline and swallowed up the well. 

Now, after Yolanda, the well is almost buried in sand.  The top of the well was above my waist - now about knee high.  And there is a river between the well and the shoreline. 

You want to live close to the beach... but not too close!