Homecooking Experts!

russellmania
Posted
Posted

What MUST HAVE small appilances you guys can't do without in your cooking of meals here in the Phils? Pressure cooker? Confection oven? Microwave oven? George Foreman grill? Crock pot/Slow cooker,etc,etc? And why.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Our appliance is called "The Maid" ;)

• Like 4

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Bread Machine to deal with the mixing and kneading, then out into pans for the baking of the bread. I am looking for a pressure cooker so my beans won't take two days to cook. And of course the coffee maker.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well I love to cook, even Momma has conceded my expertise in this area.  Things I can't live without:

Decent full size oven

Gas burners - don't like electric hot plates, too hard to control the temperature, especially when stir/shallow frying

Microwave

Food processor/blender - I do all my curry pastes etc from scratch

Decent, sharp knife set - can't stand those laser cut edged pieces of sh**, SAO went pale when I told her how much I paid for mine

Non-stick electric fry pan - took some training for SAO or Momma not to scrub the sh** of it, on number 2 as a result

Steamer - for veges and Asian type dumplings/pork rolls etc

Deep fryer - Non-fatty vege oils of course ;)

Microwave rice cooker - so fast, and just as good as boiling

Deep bowl Tajine - use that as a slow cooker/stew/baker - best thing to come out of North Africa

Good thick based saucepan set - spreads heat evenly

Really thick iron skillet - good for the edge of the outdoor spit roasts that seem to happen when I'm there; I'm seriously beginning to wonder if they live on spit cooked pig and San Mig.

Wok! How could I forget a good thin steel wok that needs to be cured between uses?? - as for the electric types, they're so thick you may as well just use the electric fry pan with little or no control over the heat. 

Think that's about it - Tajine pictured below. 

post-2862-0-04903000-1388445743_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My Sabatier knives, my Chantal cookware, and my Williams-Sonoma porcelain dishes.  But those are just basic comfort items. 

The main thing I had to have, in this heat, was a blender to make smoothies.  Fruit, ice, water, powdered milk, maybe some rum.... refreshing!   I opted for a toaster over instead of a microwave.  I don't use it a lot but it is nice to have. I will occasionally bake some pork chops or chicken breasts... you can only eat fried food so much. (Filipino style over-fried!)

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The wok does most of our cooking. I added an electric slow cooker for the tough beef, a toaster, blender, and coffee maker. I don't want to get too comfortable here.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Coffee machine a good full size gas stove oven.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Pressure cooker ..... definitely ..... works great on those tuff ol' caraboa they serve here as beef (joke) but the beef can be kinda tuff .... also great for beans and other dried bean type foods .... cooks in half the time .... bought ours in SM Cebu ....

Bought a smoothie machine called the Magic Bullet and use it almost every day kinda pricey but you can throw whole ice cubes and stuff like whole frozen strawberries in it with no problem what so ever .... put all kinds of fresh fruits an a hand full of frozen strawberries and the drink is cold and frothy ..... 

A turbo broiler is a must if you like 1 pan meals .... put veggies on the bottom under the rack and your chicken or meat on the rack above and let the juices flow down and mix with the veggies .... fantastic .... you can also bake in a turbo broiler but it takes a bit longer .... we have made fruit cock-tale cake in ours and it is great .... a very versatile machine .... just today we had turbo-chicken ....

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Appliances!!! I'm still waiting to connect our farmhouse to electricity. The only appliance we have right now is two logs and a bowl used for home milling small quantities of rice. I revisit this topic another time lol