G.i. Bill In The Pi

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Also, this may sound like an ungrateful rant considering that I benefitted from it, but why is the GI Bill only for 36 months while the Dependents Educational Benefits (dad's death was rated 100% service-connected) for 40 months?! Should it not be the other way around?!

Short answer............Money. The GI educational bill has gone through many variations in the past (as Jake will bear me out). Anywhere from what amounted to a full boat scholarship to the Government matching what the service member puts in. It will vary on the political winds and the public feeling towards the military at the time.

Un, just to double tap the amount. Is your ex studying in the states? or in the Phil?

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Scott, he goes to law school here in MA but his summer internships have been in the Philippines and the UK, respectively. I need to check with him again, but I believe he also receives BAH as well like my other friend.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
he goes to law school here in MA but his summer internships have been in the Philippines

Ok cool, like I thought. Here in the Philippines a service member will not get the "stateside" amount. Tuition as well as BAH is prorated (right around 50%). If your friend still receives the full amount it is most likely due to the internship is sponsored by a stateside institution.

There was a list on the VA web site that shows what schools in which areas are approved for (have not looked in a while). Most of them are technical and vocational schools.

I don't know for sure, but my best guess is that like Tri-care here, you will have to pay for your tuition etc up front and wait for reimbursement.

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Scott, you're right; his Manila internship was with the State, consular affairs.

Re: Tri-care reimbursement. That's good to hear that you can use it there. My mom has CHAMPVA and apparently, coverage is only stateside.

Another friend of mine was able to bypass the prorated amount through study abroad. He is still technically enrolled at uni here, but is in the Philippines for a year at Ateneo. Dude gets the max amount, too. Do you think the government will eventually cotton on, or are these instances so few and far between that it won't even make a blip on the radar?

--Leilani

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well if you think about it, it only makes sense that you get less in the Philippines. Just like BHA/VHA which is prorated depending on the part of the country your in. You get a lot more in san fransisco than Kansas city. While the folks who run the program are government employees they are not stupid, they know that education here is a lot cheaper than in the states lolol :th_unfair:

• Like 2

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Pfft...you know how there's COLA? Our VA dudes and dudettes should add in the COLNintPA: Cost of Long Nose in the Philippines Allowance :)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

well there is that :hystery:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

What about spousal benefit for 100% disabled vet. Would my wife be able to use educational benefits in one of the unversities in Cebu.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

My best guess is no. I qualify both for the old and post 911 GI Bill, and I know that I had to make a choice upon retiring if I wanted my wife to get part of my educational benefits. Disability? I don't know for sure.

Your first step is to go to the VA Web site and search for "approved" schools in the area that you thinking of moving to. If there are not any institutions near your area, moot point.

I was very interested in taking some classes and did lots of research. There are lots of approved schools here in Manila, lots of them are "trade" type schools like computers and culinary etc. I was interested in a culinary type place and actually checked it out. One look at the kids there I dismissed it from my mind. At 57 I think I would look very silly in a school uniform.

Formal continuing education has not caught on here that I have seen. There are no real community colleges where old geezers can show up and take basket weaving or pottery shard repairs. I speak under correction but that is the impression I have. In fact education is pretty informal it seems. If you have the money you can set up a "college" or a school and charge for education. Example: Our Barangay Captain is a Doctor from a very rich family, son is a congressman, another is vice mayor, a daughter is a barangay counselor. He financed and set up his own medical college. Its one of the best and meets all the Philippine educational requirements, naturally its named after him. Anyway, hope this helps just a tad.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

It helps, I've told my wife South Korea is looking little better for our short term goals. She is interested in Cyber security, I think we might have just visit the Philippines from there. I want her to get as much education as possible while l'm around to help out. Then she can do or work at what ever.