American Expats Receiving Pension And Obamacare?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is no requirement that you have a state residence, unless you wish to vote there.  

Correct, but because Hawaii is a high tax environment similar to California, I need to register to vote elsewhere to make the change of domicile crystal clear.

I spent several months researching state income tax and for our personal situation, South Dakota was ideal. For example, while Nevada has no state income tax, their automotive insurance premiums are very high. Maybe residents get drunk in Las Vegas and Reno, and crash their cars. We are purchasing a Class B RV as a new home. Cost of insurance becomes a consideration as full-time RVers. I also looked into such factors as how much is being spent for social programs. While Florida has no state income tax, the large senior population will require more services as they age. The temptation to increase taxes is greater than South Dakota with a population of less than 800,000. Most are conservative farmers and cattle ranchers. Besides, it makes for interesting conversation when we mention our plans to move from Hawaii to South Dakota. We get that, "Are you crazy!" look.

If my wife and I should ever need assisted living as we grow older, it's off to the Philippines on the next airplane.
Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Do not forget Mr. Reyes, South Dakota should run abut 2+ degrees warmer than North Dakota.