To Root Or Not To Root

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike ... I looked into rooting my "My Phone" almost 2 years ago when I first got it because "My Phone" does not allow you to upgrade to a newer version of an OS .... instead they want to sell you a newer phone with the newest version of the OS ex. Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich .... plus being a Philippine made phone there are a ton of applications that I don't want ex. "My Pinoy" .... and tons of religious stuff like chants and prayers ....

Anyway after doing the Google bit and reading some of the nonsense on how the so called experts did it (all Filipinos) I decided to leave well enough alone .... I'm not satisfied but that's what I get for buying a cheap p5000 cell phone .... if i ever decide to get a new one I'm going to be sure to get one that will upgrade the OS on it ....  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike S, what variety of gingerbread do you have? My family has a few dinosaur Galaxy S phones that are operating on 2.3.6 and they never have problems with them. I mean these phones never even get a reboot unless it's my brothers because he forgets to charge for weeks at a time. I have ICS on my phone which I don't consider much of an improvement and my last phone which was ICS wasn't as stable imho. I think ICS 4.0.4 was an incomplete project before it was abandoned for Jellybean which I hear is pretty good at version 4.2.2 and up. I wouldn't want Kit Kat for awhile yet, if ever. Is there something that your phone does not do that you would like it to do and there is no app?

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike S, what variety of gingerbread do you have? My family has a few dinosaur Galaxy S phones that are operating on 2.3.6 and they never have problems with them. I mean these phones never even get a reboot unless it's my brothers because he forgets to charge for weeks at a time. I have ICS on my phone which I don't consider much of an improvement and my last phone which was ICS wasn't as stable imho. I think ICS 4.0.4 was an incomplete project before it was abandoned for Jellybean which I hear is pretty good at version 4.2.2 and up. I wouldn't want Kit Kat for awhile yet, if ever. Is there something that your phone does not do that you would like it to do and there is no app?

Robert I really don't have a problem with the OS per-say and I too have 2.3.6 .... it's just that the others (don't know about ICS) like Jellybean offer more and better features ... or so I'm told .... but as I just use my phone for texting any more I really don't care .... so till it breaks I guess I'll survive .... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sex has many meanings like our favorite sport, the gender of a man or woman or an animal. Its an overused word so its about time we started using Root again.

For those who remember using MS Dos in the old days, maybe the term Root came from Root Directory, which was the first Directory you could go to. All other Directories were under it.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Mike S, I sympathize. I wouldn't change phones again if I weren't looking for something with a big screen that I can comfortably read without glasses and will act as tablet and e-book reader. On the bright side, the new generations of phones seem to come in less than a year now and the no longer top of the line phones get discounted. If you really felt you were missing out, I wouldn't wait until the phone conked out, I would gift it to someone and replace it with something I wanted or keep it as a backup phone, with my luck the latest greatest wonderphone will probably take a nosedive and need repairs. There are some very capable phones out there for under 6k piso right now, some under 5k if you don't need a larger than 4 inch full HD screen. Personally I can't wait to use a camera on burst mode so I can take 40 poor pictures instead of one and have to delete them! :hystery: 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have my Nexus 4 which I consider to be an excellent phone. It's a Google phone do obviously it's made to adapt updates. And through those updates I am continually able to do more and more that makes life so much easier! So, for those who are happy with an old o/s, great? But I like being able to do more and do it better! And, as it is a Google phone, the only junk bloatware I have is from Google itself. :)

By the way, I have another Nexus 4 running Ubuntu and it works amazingly well too! A full pc on a phone... Love it!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have my Nexus 4 which I consider to be an excellent phone. It's a Google phone so obviously it's made to accept updates. And through those updates I am continually able to do more and more that makes life so much easier! So, for those who are happy with an old o/s, great? But I like being able to do more and do it better! And, as it is a Google phone, the only junk bloatware I have is from Google itself. :) KO

By the way, I have another Nexus 4 running Ubuntu and it works amazingly well too! A full pc on a phone... Love it!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a general rule, I never buy a new OS, for phone, PC, whatever until it's in its second incarnation at least.  Windows 8 will be the exception in that I'll never buy it; it's the new Vista, i.e. piece of sh**. MS has a very long tradition of only every second OS being "OK".  I take umbrage to paying to beta test their initial release of any OS.  Google, for some reason, don't seem to have the same issue.  I'm an old DOS and Unix dinosaur so can fully understand your proclivity for Ubuntu Bob.

Edited by BrettGC

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think my big thing for Ubuntu is that there are various versions available for different situations. I myself usually prefer to have the studio version loaded on my laptops but I can't load that on s phone yet - just the base Ubuntu is ready to go so far. I'm not overly impressed with android but it is still a fairly new os... Even apple is just a bit better than fair. The old blackberry was much better than the new os. If they had only kept Palm on life support... Now that one could have done something! But they are gone now and the only ones following in their technological footsteps are... Ubuntu!

• 4 months later...
El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Just Google "XDA Forums" and you should find all the advice you need on rooting. They have threads that can walk you through anything step by step and if you aren't sure just post your question for clarification before trying. They helped me root and unlock many phones, no problems.