My Visit To B I

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Today, I went to the Mandaue BI to finally finish my 13a “conversion to permanent”. It’s supposed to take “1 or 2 months”, ended up taking 3. I also did the dreaded Annual Report which has to be done before Friday. I won’t get into the boring details but I want to share one small part of the experience. There was a youngish guy who was going through the various procedures (fingerprinting, etc) with a small child, meaning the child was the subject of the business. Don’t know, don’t care to know why. Probably his wife or partner and several members of her family were a part of the entourage clogging up the tiny space where all this business is conducted, making it very difficult to get around them or know who is in line, etc. At some point he got frustrated (it happens, especially dealing with a child) and raised his voice first to the partner then to one of the employees behind the glass. Immediately, one of the larger BI employees came out and he was told in no uncertain terms (no “sirs”)  not to ever raise his voice in the office again. That was basically the end of the ugly little incident but I got the distinct impression that they are used to dealing with misbehaving foreigners and the tolerance level is not very high. I really am amazed that people can work in that environment day after day.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I also am amazed at how they can work there non stop day after day. I was there only once but I think that that room is full from opening until closing. I wonder if they get rotated out to somewhere else where it is less busy.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I often wonder if people are just stupid or colossally arrogant?

You are in a foreign land, basically asking a favor of their government when you have to go to immigration and you raise your voice to the people who are representing that government?

Remember that any public servant has the power to say no, it's often the safest course for them and much less likely to have repercussions than if they say yes and something goes wrong. Why is it so hard for people to understand? If you weren't in charge in your home country, you certainly aren't in charge in the RP! I agree wholeheartedly with Mike B, don't know, don't want to know. :tiphat:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I didn't completely hear the entire exchange so I don't know how much he raised his voice but the employee was the one screaming. I can see both sides; things went sideways for me too yesterday but before I lost it my wife was there to step in, speak the local lingo and with a lot of running around locate the source of the problem and correct it - 100% the fault of one of their employees, a trainee, who kept an "Original" instead of a copy. Having the original is a very big thing. When you rely so much on paper and things are chaotic, mistakes happen.

It's an old, overcrowded place, made much worse with this annual report that can only be done at one of the regional offices like Mandaue. They really should enforce a rule that people having business there are allowed 1 additional person only with them. For security reasons if nothing else. You have to make an exception for children but that's it. Regardless of what happens that is the one place you don't want to lose your temper. They've seen and heard it all, several times a day at least.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I agree with Robert K, how often have you been in a store or a government office in your home country like the DMV and the guy in front of you is an immigrant who speaks little English and deep inside you were screaming to yourself. Your in (pick your country) why don't you learn our language or go home. I for one am extremely grateful that the Philippines has such a liberal immigrant policy. How often on this forum do you read about guys who marry a local girl and go through hoops, spend lots of time and money to get her a visa. Here you stroll through the airport with your passport and marriage certificate and your good for a year. I count my blessings daily. :541:

• Like 5

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

My first ever visit to BI here on Mactan, good morning sir, fill in the form, pay the money, wait 45mins, easy peasy, as I was waiting 2 guys come in with shorts on, now there is a sign on the door stating, pants, shoes, shirt. I mean you would have to be blind or stupid or both not to see it, why it is so hard just to conform with this rule, are they just inconsiderate or have some sense of entitlement or just plain dumb, geez it ain't hard, if I was the guy inside the door I would have told them f... off and come back with the required dress code. Surely if they don't want to wear pants, take a bag and change in the CR. Were I used to live, if you where at the pub for a drink, shorts, t shirt, thongs or sandals were acceptable till late afternoon, when pants, shoes and a decent shirt rule came into effect, if you weren't dressed in this manner the bouncers (security) would not ask you to leave, you were told to leave and if you didn't conform with this you were bounced out of the pub and banned from entering ever again.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
My first ever visit to BI here on Mactan, good morning sir, fill in the form, pay the money, wait 45mins, easy peasy, as I was waiting 2 guys come in with shorts on, now there is a sign on the door stating, pants, shoes, shirt. I mean you would have to be blind or stupid or both not to see it, why it is so hard just to conform with this rule, are they just inconsiderate or have some sense of entitlement or just plain dumb

When was this, the dress code rules have been changed and shorts and sandals are a-ok for several months now. Regardless of what the sign says.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I went on the 10th of Feb and the sign was still on the door, geez maybe I am just stupid and dumb. Maybe when I go next time I will ask is the sign for real and all the other signs I see are valid or not.

My first ever visit to BI here on Mactan, good morning sir, fill in the form, pay the money, wait 45mins, easy peasy, as I was waiting 2 guys come in with shorts on, now there is a sign on the door stating, pants, shoes, shirt. I mean you would have to be blind or stupid or both not to see it, why it is so hard just to conform with this rule, are they just inconsiderate or have some sense of entitlement or just plain dumb

When was this, the dress code rules have been changed and shorts and sandals are a-ok for several months now. Regardless of what the sign says.

Edited by Frosty

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well I went on the 10th of Feb and the sign was still on the door, geez maybe I am just stupid and dumb. Maybe when I go next time I will ask is the sign for real and all the other signs I see are valid or not.

NEW DRESS CODE POLICY 

Administrative Circular No. SBM-2013-007 was issued on 01 October 2013 revising the policy on dress code imposed on clients transacting or with official business in the Bureau of Immigration (BI). Policy amendments were made to maximize and accommodate visitors and foreign nationals with legitimate dealings with the BI as well as the consideration of the tropical weather in the Philippines and the usual tourist attire. 

The new policy requires strict adherence to decent attire and prescribed the minimum dress code requirements both for men and women. Meanwhile, business/office attire is required for those attending hearings or official meetings.

post-1-0-48163300-1393332483_thumb.jpg

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well there were 7 of us in the BI office with pants and shirts on, so I assumed this was appropriate attire, obviously me and the other 6 guys were wrong( after reading the sign on the door) and the 2 guys with shorts had the correct attire on.

Edited by Frosty