Shipping Big Furnitures

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Mrs. Flintstone,

What Miguk said - it's probably best to get some quotes from some of the larger moving companies with an established reputation and background in international household moves, like Allied, Atlas, Bekins, Daryl Flood, Mayflower, United Van Lines and a couple others I can't recall right now.  We got free quotes from a handful of them, and they were extremely competitive, in fact, they literally fell all over themselves trying to get to our home first for a survey and estimate.  Several even had references for prior customers in our area.  Try an online search for international movers in the Canton, OH area, many of the above will likely pop up.  Whomever you decide to go with - and I can not emphasize this enough - get a written agreement (contract) up-front with total door-to-door pricing, before the mover touches a single piece of your property!   That will be SOP for the movers I listed above.  Trust your instincts on the Forex Cargo guy, that doesn't sound like a very good start to me, either.  Hope this helps,

SNAFU

P.S.  Did I mention to get a written agreement up front? 

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Mrs. F, I found a company profile for the Forex Cargo in Cleveland that you mentioned, they are a small, private business with 5 or less employees and sales less than $500K, and not the same Forex that many of us here use for BB box shipments - they are at Forexworld.com, and they have a finder you can use to find their nearest office/representative. 

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
get a written agreement (contract) up-front with total door-to-door pricing
Yes, better do that, because when I asked a well known transporter, they answered 3000 USD only, "forgeting" most of the costs as e g a container need to be liften on and off the ship :hystery:  to get to that destination!!!        (Soon after that I heared an other Swede had paid 14 000 USD for a similar transport...)

Mrs. Flintstone
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing some ideas. It's helping us a lot. Have a great blessed weekend guys.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Mrs. F, I found a company profile for the Forex Cargo in Cleveland that you mentioned, they are a small, private business with 5 or less employees and sales less than $500K, and not the same Forex that many of us here use for BB box shipments - they are at Forexworld.com, and they have a finder you can use to find their nearest office/representative. 

Good work, above and beyond the call of duty. :cheersty:

• 1 month later...
whiskeyJack
Posted
Posted

Waiting for our 20 ft container shipped from Doha, Qatar, I hope we don't have too much hassle with customs, there is a lot of stuff from my travels and my parents in there.

First night we landed at Manilla a very expensive camera and I pad where stolen from our cases so I have some worries with stuff going missing from our container

cheers

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hey ya whiskey. We didn't have any problems when our 20 footer came in from the states. Be prepared however to get a customs bill from your shipper's representative here in the Philippines. I guess it is standard that the receiver (us) is responsible to pay for the privilege of having our containers inspected. Including fuel costs to move the container to the inspection area lol. But after all is said and done we were missing absolutely nothing from our container. Either that's says something about the quality of what I brought :unsure: or customs is basically honest (in my case anyway). Good luck. 

• Like 2