Us Driver License Renewal ... How Do You Do It?

Alby
Posted
Posted

Hi everybody...

I am in the process of setting things up for my retirement in the Philis... One of the things (and they are many in my case) was making sure that I stay connected to the US while I live in Philis. One of those issues is the driver license renewal.

Currently, being in the US, I can renew my DL online and they'd mail it to the address on it. However, if I change my DL address to the one a mail forwarding service would give me, which is almost always not in my state's, how's that going to work?

Should I pick a mail forwarding service that give addresses in my state or how do you do it or recommend?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For my state I could not find a way to renew my DL online. So my state DL has expired. The registration for my car has also expired.

I am going back to the US soon and will have to resolve those issues ASAP. The city where I live has those license plate scanners. Hope I don't get stopped for expired registration before I get the car inspected and my registration and DL renewed. I will be back for 2-3 months and will need to drive so I will have to get this done.

If I do get stopped I may try showing them my Philippines DL.

Then I will switch my DL to FL where my mail forwarding service address is located and switch my address since FL has no state income taxes.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't think it is that big a deal to exchange a Philippines drivers license for a state drivers liscense. They may want you to take the written test, but we all know enough to pass that, right? It might also be the simplest way to get a state motorcycle license because if you don't hit anything or fall of the bike, you passed the Philippine test :)

Alby
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Earthdome and RobertK!

Funny thing is I had to renew my registration last month when I would only need it for just two months! I asked them for a refund but still waiting.

I intend to sell my car, cancel registration and also stop the license plate from being under my name just when I sell it. I am going to Carmax and pretty much dump it :)

Still though, I would like to keep my DL alive.

But since it's based in my State and I want to renew it online when it expires, I still need my state based address.

I was going to go with USABOX.com but their address is out of Florida which is not my state's and I am sure there are folks down there that have the same issue?

The question still stands... Should I get a mailforwading service that gives my state's address or how do you do it if I don't need to?

Edited by Alby

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I renewed my Florida DL online with no problem. Good for 8 years I think. I use a mail-forwarding service with a local street address in Fl. The street address is an extra charge but if you require a "presence" in the US, I don't see any other way. Most US banks are not comfortable having account holders living overseas. Visiting is ok but not permanent.  

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The main reason I picked Traveling Mailbox was they had Texas address i could use. So no change of State for me.  I changed my address online ($11?) but have not renewed my license yet.  I have to do it in person this time.

Alby
Posted
Posted (edited)

MikeB,

I reside in another state and not Florida!

The question was also to those who get a mail forwarding address but in ANOTHER state. How do they renew their driver license without physically being there?

Tuka Ram may be correct. Each state must have a forwarder that could do the same for them?

Tuka, in the course of checking things and incase you need this, I did stumble on usglobalmail.com and usa2me.com where they do Texas shipping too.

But I like the check deposit feature of Traveling Mailbox though and the fact they give several states addresses!

Edited by Alby

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Too bad my next renewal has to be done in person. Every other time has to be in person.

jon1
Posted
Posted

Florida is the same as TX. One online renewal and then you are required to do the next one in person. It can be renewed within the 18 months prior to expiration.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I was not able to renew my FL drivers license online so I had to let it expire. I had been renewing it online for the past 15 years and they wanted me to come in in person.