Shipping Container Housing

Mike S
Posted
Posted

All this has a simple cure called "roof over" .... put an elevated roof over the top of the container or containers about 4-5 foot higher than the top of the container and as I mentioned in a post above extend the roof 4ft beyond the sides of the container and it will keep the heat out as air will circulate over the container and below the "roof over" .... can be made simple by 4x4 posts with a thatched type material for that native look or made out of other type materials ......

As with any type of building if you cut a hole in it you have to brace the structure where the hole goes ..... just like in any type of house .... put in a window or door and you have to reinforce the opening .....

P.S. .... it is much easier and stronger to weld than to nail wood .... plus in a termite run environment metal will last much longer than steel and during an earthquake steel will withstand a whole lot more than these crappy cement blocks they sell and construct with here .... unless of course money is no object and you can afford to spend millions of pesos to build a house .... 

JMHO :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scott, everyone is different. Not everyone could afford high class housing. I have a friend who rents a CHB filipino standard house in brgy Bacong, Dumaguete, Negros Oriental for 3k php per month. Of course he had to install a water heater and he hasn't found the best internet option yet but he is pleased with his choice

When I was a troop I found myself living in a hole in the ground for some time. I improved it daily until people started dropping by to see the Taj Mahal of foxholes. I'd have loved to have a conex! I bet I could improve a conex house with my extensive building background. As for being hot, I mentioned previously in the thread the Indigo prefabs, they come with 3.5 inch foam insulation, thicker than my deep freeze.. I still wouldn't recommend them at 175k piso for a plumbed 20 ft with free delivery in the metro Manila area unless you are into a minimalist lifestyle, but then again it should be easy to keep clean. I also think that considering how fast rain water accumulates at times, you'd be nuts not to put the building on piers 3 foot above ground level, for bugs, flooding and ease to manitain.

Me? I plan to be a renter, probably living as far outside Cebu as I can and still get the services I desire, not because I could not afford to live in an upscale area but because I consider large dirty cities to be a necessary evil and down right convenient to have within an hours drive. I am also cheap and more interested in what's outdoors than in. :) I have also lived in a fairly nice nipa hut for a month that was not as nice as it could have been. I comissioned [paid for] the building of a new CR and shower facility but stopped short of having satellite tv, refrigerator and other appliances/desktop computer installed because I would not be there permanently to pay the bills. I could live there for some time with no real problems but I would eventually suffer from technology withdrawls. I know some people who wouldn't last 15 minutes. Someone else might consider it ideal. Everybody is different.

Edited by robert k

deevey
Posted
Posted

I'd be thinking something along the lines of 2 or 3 containers which supporting an interior "Room" created with girders between them (which could also be then partitioned into other living areas) .. basically using the containers as supporting structures for other living space. 

Been ages since I did any drawing - might be time to get the markers out :P 

All this has a simple cure called "roof over" .... put an elevated roof over the top of the container or containers about 4-5 foot higher than the top of the container

Yes no way I'd ever go with a flat roof, inserted or not, water pooling, heat etc ... not to mention and it would look more attractive with shingles, tile effect corrugated or something like ikotile (which has heat resistant properties).  

The indigo container housing is interesting, but most look like - well.... building site prefabs. Severe case of function over form, why not a nice brickwork facia or something ? 

As with any type of building if you cut a hole in it you have to brace the structure where the hole goes ..... just like in any type of house .... put in a window or door and you have to reinforce the opening .....

Really easy to build a box frame and weld it in place though. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Concerning comparing how to build houses, which can stand earthquakes, don't forget to include dome cement houses.

I prefer such much before container house, but container houses have the advantage they are moveable.

I also think that considering how fast rain water accumulates at times, you'd be nuts not to put the building on piers 3 foot above ground level, for bugs, flooding and ease to manitain.
I don't know the messure for RP, but I believe it was 90 cm above the ground a Thai said experienced in how to build cheap but effective houses to keep Thai SNAKES out (except the huge King Kobra, but it need much biger wholes to get in  :)

jpbago
Posted
Posted
to keep Thai SNAKES out (except the huge King Kobra, but it need much biger wholes to get in

It needs an even larger hole to get out after it's belly is full!

That Henry from the videos says there are cobras on Bohol Island.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Snakes are delicious, why keep them out? :)

Seriously, my father in law killed a 14 foot burmese python in a tree 20 feet from the neighbors house. They had alot of cellphone pictures. The neighbors had small children. I'm told that they ate it. Waste not want not! :)

Edited by robert k