Is Getting A One Way Ticket To The Philippines Possible?

Mrs. Flintstone
Posted
Posted

My Papa will be coming again this October but, he wants to stay for 3 months this time as we're getting married! Yay!!!! 

So please share me your advice on how to have a smooth travel. Should he or can he get a one way ticket and just buy ticket here in the Philippines on his way back to US? Or what is this they call open ended return dates?

Help?????

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

short answer,,,no Mrs F

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I used a one way ticket Dec 2012. The one way ticket cost almost as much as a round trip cheapest fare ticket. One way ticket was around $900 USD, I have had round trip tickets with the cheapest no changes type of fare for $1200 - $1400. I recently purchased a round trip from Manila to the USA with the ability to change the return date for a small fee. Cost was $2000 USD.

Tickets with an open ended return will cost much more than the cheapest fares you find when searching online.

So it is a matter of working the numbers based on what prices you can find.

Don't forget that your fiance will need a 'throw away' ticket exiting the Philippines if he uses a one way ticket.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes you can buy a one way ticket to the Philippines but no they wont let you board the plane without an onward or return ticket. The law is you must have an exit ticket, the airlines face big fines if they let you board with a one way so it does not happen. The other options which have been discussed a thousand times before is to buy a cheap throw away ticket but in the case of your father in my opinion its cheaper to get the return ticket all in one.  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

You should be able to get a ticket with a return a few months away. Mostly I ran into problems when the return is not in the same year as the departure but september to november was no problem. :)

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

You should be able to get a ticket with a return a few months away. Mostly I ran into problems when the return is not in the same year as the departure but september to november was no problem. :)

This

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If he is only staying 3 months, then I would suggest he get a return ticket.  It is possible to get a one way (and an exit ticket) but likely cheaper to get a return,

I do have a suggestion though, if he really insists on getting a one way.  Suggest that he buy a one way ticket and have a cheap exit ticket to a place like Kota Kinabalu.  Suggest that the KK ticket be on a schedule that leaves 59 days or less after his arrival.  He will find out that his visa renewal after 59 days will cost him $200 and he may just say Fluck it and fly to KK and back.  (If you play your cards right you may get him to take you with him on a honeymoon and the $200 he saves on his Visa will pay your way.)

• Like 2

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Have him buy a cheap ticket to Hong Kong as the exit ticket. He can get one for under $200USD last I checked.

• Like 2

Mrs. Flintstone
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys..thank you for taking time to help us. We really appreciate you.

• 2 weeks later...
bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I actually flew from Melbourne to Manila at the end of February, my company had purchased me a throw away ticket for when I got in...... I was really surprised and was wondering if things had changed in the last 16 months as both customs in Melbourne and Manila didn't ask me for any ticket leaving or ask me a single question about my stay...... I did have a brand new passport with only my exit stamp from MNL and Entry to Mel in it

Since I come back another expat I work with came back from Melbourne the same route and was not asked either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1