Worst Of The Worst

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The reasons may be that the teachers are not qualified or it may be monetary reasoning to keep the enrollment at maximum, or there just are not enough job openings if they all did pass.
I don't believe schools bother about the last. E g there are much to many nurses, who get exam.
Yup they sure do things backward here ..... we have a nephew in his 3rd year of engineering who has to take 1 year off and work for some company in his field .... if he doesn't work for or gets canned from the company the school sends him to he has to find his own job .... then after 15 months he goes back to college to finish his degree (3 months OJT and 12 months working) ..... so how would you like to interrupt your studies for 15 months and then go back to school .... really screwed up .....
Well. Yes, that's a to long break from studies,

BUT it's good with some mix with related work, so students can see how it's done in real life, it's surely often NOT done as they teach in College/Univercity that's to much simplified. For instance:

/When I started working as software developer boss, we cooperated with a developer company owned and lead by an University teacher in developing. We were going to make a huge and very complicated historic simulator. The structure was all parts (except some AI) only communicate through databases, just use the last value there, the parts don't need to bother how the values got there, except when CHANGE something itself. So - after telling the structure - I wanted to start developing peace by peace, developing details and make the code BEFORE we started with next part, while the teacher said we had to define every detail before we started to make any code at all. I found that stupid, because it's so huge so developers will forget how we thought together about each part back when we decided how to do things, IF we would do all details of all parts before starting, but because I'm self teached I double checked with a friend, who had worked several years doing simulators/strategic games. He just laught at what the teacher wanted:

-Haha! That's good in THEORY, but don't function in PRACTISE. If doing as he say, then you never will get started producing any code...  :mocking:

/The student with highest grades in civil economist studies that year, thought he knew everything when he was new examed, but I found some of his conclusions very funny, because he was so sure of them, although almost no one of them function in real life, because life isn't that simple as the examples they learn in school, so he mostly failed to think of several important parameters. He thought and demanded he would get a top boss job DIRECT within finance market, because of his high grades. He still haven't got any top boss job, although it was over 20 years since he examed...  :)   (He is VERY skilled at small DETAILS level, but boss positions need good OVERVIEW thinking...)

Several of the Swedish Colleges/Universities have understood such reality is needed, so they have very good cooperation with private companies, e g doing developing TOGETHER or the school do parts of the total with mentors from the private companies. Several new products have been made by that, some of them important enough to get separate companies started. But I believe China is BETTER at it, except when OWN NEW thinking is needed when doing something new, not only repeeting things as mashines, because China isn't known for own thinking...

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Yup they sure do things backward here ..... we have a nephew in his 3rd year of engineering who has to take 1 year off and work for some company in his field .... if he doesn't work for or gets canned from the company the school sends him to he has to find his own job .... then after 15 months he goes back to college to finish his degree (3 months OJT and 12 months working) ..... so how would you like to interrupt your studies for 15 months and then go back to school .... really screwed up .....

My nephew, in his 3rd year of engineering, was sent to Malaysia for his OJT. That was 3 years ago. The Malaysian company offered to keep him on the payroll. His wages will always be lower than if he had passed the board exam and got his degree. If and when he loses his job, it will be very difficult to return to school after such a long absence. The Malaysian company benefits as they will fine tune him to do what they need and pay less than they would to an engineer. It's all about money all of the time.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

My nephew, in his 3rd year of engineering, was sent to Malaysia for his OJT. That was 3 years ago. The Malaysian company offered to keep him on the payroll. His wages will always be lower than if he had passed the board exam and got his degree. If and when he loses his job, it will be very difficult to return to school after such a long absence. The Malaysian company benefits as they will fine tune him to do what they need and pay less than they would to an engineer. It's all about money all of the time.

Yes that is a very viable situation and all to real ....... for the students that are way down on the totem pole and might not pass their boards that could be a good deal ..... until like you say they loose their job .... we know someone like that but thank god he did go back to school and finish but it was really rough .... one guy in the nephew's class is 26 and that's what happened to him also .... the lure of a peso in the hand now vs later gains is as we know not always the best deal ..... but in the land of "we don't always plan for or care about the future" anything goes ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 2