Stranded In Philippines Hospital

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I put this topic in the Hospital forum to show what can happen while visiting the Philippines.  :unsure:

post-1-0-64219400-1396184066_thumb.jpg

Father stranded in Philippines hospital for SIX WEEKS because RBS won't pay his £4,000 medical bill

A father-of-three is 'stranded' in a Philippines hospital - because he is unable to pay his medical bills.
George 'Dougie' Keiller, 59, collapsed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on the last leg of his journey to the capital Manila on February 11.
He woke up six days later. Yet six weeks on, he lies anchored to a hospital bed and is unable to leave because he can not afford a medical bill which has so far reached £4,000.

Doctors at the Polymedic General Hospital, in Cagayan De Oro City, on the central coast of northern Mindanao island, have said they will not discharge him until they are paid at least half of his burgeoning invoice, he alleges.
Mr Keiller said: 'After more than six weeks I'm now just desperate for this nightmare to end.'

Mr Keiller, from Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland, was put on a life-support machine within hours of touching down in the Philippines after his chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) - which causes a narrowing of the airways - struck him down.
He recalled: 'I woke up in the hospital and didn't know what had happened to me.
'I didn't - and still can't - remember anything after leaving China.
'I only know I had slight difficulties with my breathing when I landed, but by the time I boarded my flight to Manila I felt absolutely fine.'

However, it was upon arriving in the Filipino capital to meet his fiancee Evangeline Go, 54, that he collapsed. He was rushed to the private Polymedic Hospital and put on life support.
'It was six days before I was aware of what was happening,' Mr Keiller said. He added: 'I was then treated for fever and pneumonia.
'I've had COPD for 10 years but have flown four or five times in the last five years problem-free.
'The condition landed me in hospital twice last year, so I asked doctors if I should cancel this trip but they told me there was no need for me to do that as it wasn't likely to cause any problems.'
With the medical green light, the former bus driver said he attended his local Royal Bank of Scotland branch to arrange travel insurance and claims he was offered free cover as a Royalties Gold account holder.

Mr Keiller, who is on disability allowance, alleged: 'All they provided me with was a leaflet with a phone number to call. I called that number and was given a number to call if I had any problems while I was away. 
'That was all I got. No terms and conditions and no questions, but was told I was covered to travel.'
After six days on life support, Mr Keiller claims that he phoned the number provided but, three weeks later, he alleges that RBS declined to pay out, saying that he had failed to inform them of his pre-existing lung condition.

Since then, he has remained stranded in hospital with no means to pay the £2,000 discharge fee - a bill that swells by a further £150 each day. 
Mr Keiller has raised £1,300 but he still remains almost £1,000 short.
'I'm now relying on donations and praying that they come soon,' said Mr Keiller. 'Until I get enough money I remain virtually a prisoner in this hospital.
'If I can be given a loan by someone I'd be so grateful and wouldn't let anyone down as far as repayment goes. 
'I've been terrified here. There have been times where I've feared I'll never see outside of this hospital again. I'm now just desperate for this nightmare to end.'
An RBS spokesperson confirmed that the bank is aware of Mr Keiller's situation and said that the case is being looked into. 
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: 'We are aware of the hospitalisation of a British National in the Philippines. We are providing consular assistance.'

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I put this topic in the Hospital forum to show what can happen while visiting the Philippines.  :unsure:

Father stranded in Philippines hospital for SIX WEEKS because RBS won't pay his £4,000 medical bill

A father-of-three is 'stranded' in a Philippines hospital - because he is unable to pay his medical bills.
George 'Dougie' Keiller, 59, collapsed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on the last leg of his journey to the capital Manila on February 11.
He woke up six days later. Yet six weeks on, he lies anchored to a hospital bed and is unable to leave because he can not afford a medical bill which has so far reached £4,000.

Doctors at the Polymedic General Hospital, in Cagayan De Oro City, on the central coast of northern Mindanao island, have said they will not discharge him until they are paid at least half of his burgeoning invoice, he alleges.
Mr Keiller said: 'After more than six weeks I'm now just desperate for this nightmare to end.'

Mr Keiller, from Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland, was put on a life-support machine within hours of touching down in the Philippines after his chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) - which causes a narrowing of the airways - struck him down.
He recalled: 'I woke up in the hospital and didn't know what had happened to me.
'I didn't - and still can't - remember anything after leaving China.
'I only know I had slight difficulties with my breathing when I landed, but by the time I boarded my flight to Manila I felt absolutely fine.'

However, it was upon arriving in the Filipino capital to meet his fiancee Evangeline Go, 54, that he collapsed. He was rushed to the private Polymedic Hospital and put on life support.
'It was six days before I was aware of what was happening,' Mr Keiller said. He added: 'I was then treated for fever and pneumonia.
'I've had COPD for 10 years but have flown four or five times in the last five years problem-free.
'The condition landed me in hospital twice last year, so I asked doctors if I should cancel this trip but they told me there was no need for me to do that as it wasn't likely to cause any problems.'
With the medical green light, the former bus driver said he attended his local Royal Bank of Scotland branch to arrange travel insurance and claims he was offered free cover as a Royalties Gold account holder.

Mr Keiller, who is on disability allowance, alleged: 'All they provided me with was a leaflet with a phone number to call. I called that number and was given a number to call if I had any problems while I was away. 
'That was all I got. No terms and conditions and no questions, but was told I was covered to travel.'
After six days on life support, Mr Keiller claims that he phoned the number provided but, three weeks later, he alleges that RBS declined to pay out, saying that he had failed to inform them of his pre-existing lung condition.

Since then, he has remained stranded in hospital with no means to pay the £2,000 discharge fee - a bill that swells by a further £150 each day. 
Mr Keiller has raised £1,300 but he still remains almost £1,000 short.
'I'm now relying on donations and praying that they come soon,' said Mr Keiller. 'Until I get enough money I remain virtually a prisoner in this hospital.
'If I can be given a loan by someone I'd be so grateful and wouldn't let anyone down as far as repayment goes. 
'I've been terrified here. There have been times where I've feared I'll never see outside of this hospital again. I'm now just desperate for this nightmare to end.'
An RBS spokesperson confirmed that the bank is aware of Mr Keiller's situation and said that the case is being looked into. 
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: 'We are aware of the hospitalisation of a British National in the Philippines. We are providing consular assistance.'

I wonder if this has been sorted out yet.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Doctors at the Polymedic General Hospital, in Cagayan De Oro City
Have the Filipin capital moved to Cagayan De Oro??  :)

According to an "old" topic it's against the Filipin law to keep people in the hospital because of they can't pay the bill...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've read the same thing in Filipino newspapers several times lately Thomas.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Sounds like he didn't share his medical history and "chronic condition" with his insurer. It would be good to hear their side of it. The law says if you have an unpaid bill you must sign a promissory note with the terms of repayment to be discharged. Maybe that doesn't apply to foreign tourists who will just get on a plane and leave. On the plus side they did save his life. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Where is his family in all this?  Father of 3?  No credit cards?  How was he paying for all this travel?

The bill is swelling by 150 pounds a day?  11,000 pesos a day?  At a CDO hospital?  For what? I don't think the best Manila hospital would charge that much.

It might just be more incorrect facts in the story (like Thomas pointed out) but something is wrong here.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We encountered a similar situation with an American friend who checked himself into Makati Medical last January after feeling really terrible. They gave him a private room and ran all sorts of tests ranging from a brain scan to a colonoscopy. There was banging all night due to on going construction and it was driving him crazy. Our group explained to the hospital administrator that he suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from the war years, but don't worry, we hid his assault rifle Unfortunately, we were unable to locate his .45 caliber. The guy, actually an administrative assistant, stopped the nighttime construction. He never asked how could a foreigner possess firearms in the Philippines.

The hospital bills were monitored daily by going to the accounting department for a print out. There was enough money in his bank account to check-out. Someone in the group mistakenly told him that not to worry about doctors' bills. That will come later and it's negotiable. It turns out the rules changed last year. The Bureau of Internal Revenue now requires for doctors to bill through the hospital. Suddenly, the check-out amount ballooned to triple. Everyone had to scramble to raise the money to get him out.

Now the fun begins. He is trying to get the VA office in Manila to reimburse his emergency medical expenses. Good luck! At least the doctors found out what is wrong.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
The law says if you have an unpaid bill you must sign a promissory note with the terms of repayment to be discharged. Maybe that doesn't apply to foreign tourists who will just get on a plane and leave.

I was at the cashier of Silliman hospital in Dumaguete last December, standing beside a friend who had just spent 4 days in intensive care for pneumonia.  His bill was 59,000 pesos and he had already given 20,000 of that up front.  They would NOT discharge him until the balance was paid.  No amount of persuading or promising would change their mind and this guy was a good persuader, a car salesman before retiring.

He ended up having to borrow the money from friends before they would let him leave.  Could he have sneaked out?  Possibly but then he better not ever need their services again,

One more thing, while in the hospital he asked daily for an estimate of what this was all going to cost and the numbers they gave him turned out to be about half what the actual cost was.  Just be aware.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I forgot the law I cited does not apply to those in private rooms:

"Patients, except those who stay in private rooms, who are partially or fully recovered and who wish to leave the hospital or medical clinic but are incapable to pay, in part or in full, their hospital bills or medical expenses/ hospitalization expenses shall be allowed to leave the hospital or medical clinic and shall be issued the corresponding medical certificate and other pertinent documents for their release from the hospital or medical clinic upon execution of a promissory note covering the unpaid obligations. The promissory note shall be secured by either a mortgage, or a guarantee of a co-maker who shall be jointly and severally liable for the unpaid obligations."

Mr Keiller's condition probably necessitated his being in a private room anyway.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno9439irr.html

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
he had already given 20,000 of that up front

In my recent post about the cost of delivering a baby here in Subic, I forgot to mention that we were never asked for a deposit.  Abby was expecting them to ask for a down payment but the request never came.  I had planned on using my Mastercard but when I found out they were going to charge 3% to use it, I made a run to BPI and got the p65k cash.