Emergency Fund - How Much?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It seems we are worried about what we should have in our emergency funds,

Good point.  We should not be worried about it, we should be planning for it.  Everyone should make the move when they feel ready.  If a person has a budget of 50,000 pesos a month then put 5,000 away each month into your emergency fund.  Don't worry about it, do it!

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am sure £30,000 in a isa left here in England will be more then enough for what ever emergency comes along,

You may get £600 a year intrest on that amount per year, that will pay for a flight back to see the family so every one is a winner, plus if you never have to use it , what a gift it can be for leaving the one you love some security, just a thought

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

As much as I hate to admit it, as an Aussie, the two Poms, Steve and Dave are right.  I guess there comes a time in your life where you just have to do it. I know I have my Navy pension for life, my girl actually earns more money than I do there between the pigs, limo's and the condos she owns.  Time to take the plunge.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

the time is for enjoying what you can and who you are with too, life is too short for many of us now

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I guess I am one of the few doing things this way... Of course, I am keeping my private medical insurance. The only real difference is that the hospital itself is not covered. Hmmm... PhilHealth will cover that difference. And, if not? I have over $20k in credit available (MasterCard, account overdraft and a line of credit) which was obtained with s notation on the accounts to Not be reduced as these are my emergency funds once I am in the Philippines. One last thing I want o do... I want to live on a budget of $1000 CDN (about P40,000) per month. And, just in case that won't work out for me? My pension is about twice that. So, on the long run, I guess I'm going to be covered.

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Bob I have been living here on 80,000 a month.    Rent 18,000 nice 3 bedroom house in sub.   Electric 7000, stove used a lot, aircon 50 % of the time, 2 of them. Food 10,000, lot of shrimp pork chicken and fish and fruit and veggies.    I feed family of 7 on this.   Drinking water 400. Tap water 800.  Internet 2000 3mb. Kids school 15,000. I don,t have to put money away for emergencies as my company I worked for covers me for up to $1 million Canadian and also ohip covers up to $5000 but useless if you live here full time. So your $40,000 budget is very do able for you and the misses.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Surely what ever is left in your weekly budget can go towards the next months bills or saving for the funds,

Just remember there are very few people here in England who has a emergency fund, but if you are prepared to live like the other scum then the goverment will pay for everything you require , just my thoughts

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
ohip covers up to $5000

Is that really all that OHIP covers when you're not in Ontario?

sjp52
Posted
Posted

ohip covers up to $5000

Is that really all that OHIP covers when you're not in Ontario?

I'm pretty sure it depends on where you are. When my dad got into a bike accident when he was a snow bird his hospital bill was around $28,000 and they covered it. I called ohip and asked them how much coverage I will have being in the Philippines for 6 months and they said $5,000 and I could be out of the country for 7 months of each year.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that  info Scott!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted
I'm pretty sure it depends on where you are. When my dad got into a bike accident when he was a snow bird his hospital bill was around $28,000 and they covered it. I called ohip and asked them how much coverage I will have being in the Philippines for 6 months and they said $5,000 and I could be out of the country for 7 months of each year.

It's much the same with our public health system here in Australia - you basically have to prove residency in Australia to qualify but I'm not sure what the minimum time period is per year - needless to say it's significantly greater then a yearly trip back for a month to visit family.  Hmmm, change my address to my investment property then use mail forwarding?  I haven't even started investigating the minefield that is private health cover for overseas residents. 

Unlike the US, the only health care Australian ex-servicemen receive is in relation to a condition or an injury incurred whilst serving. Maybe I should've joined the USN :thumbsup:  

• Like 1