Establishing The Family Tax Plan

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike,

I appreciate a lot of the topics you responded to... but I totally disagree with this one.  With this response, I am not sure you totally understand the needs of someone you are totally committed and in love with.  I could never blow off her parents... something that is ingrained in her culture and blood to respect and take care of...

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I meant to quote Mike B's last response...

MikeB
Posted
Posted

With this response, I am not sure you totally understand the needs of someone you are totally committed and in love with.  I could never blow off her parents... something that is ingrained in her culture and blood to respect and take care of...

Needs? Every penny I give someone else takes away what I can provide for the welfare and education of my own child (when I am probably no longer here). So setting up some kind of payment schedule for the parent's retirement is off the table. But that doesn't mean I don't help when circumstances dictate. You mentioned "retirement" in the opening; most people here work, one way or another, until they die or they just physically can't. The average SSS monthly payment (in 2012) was less then p3000, or about $67, not enough for medicine in most cases. That's wrong. I don't think they understand the western concept of retirement here. It's some kind of fantasy.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Everyone's circumstances are different is the message. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
And of course, I would not recommend giving the money directly, because I am all too aware of how this can get in the hands of lame relatives.
Well. It's easier for lazy relatives to "sneak" get food and living space than taking the money  :)

---

Btw - If having income in Phils, then we can get tax deduction for them, who get their living from us. (Including wife and kids.) If I remember corect it's 50 000 pesos per year for the first and 25 000 p each for the following, max 5 total.

Ynot
Posted
Posted

im not against supporting inlaws, provided I have sufficient funds to do so.  But I would draw the line at the parents for any type of regular help, and only emergencies for any other closer relatives.  Having said that, im helping my gf sister with her house (if you can call it that) it was damaged as a result of a coconut tree falling on it.  It's not costing a fortune and I will see the photographic proof later and will see it in person when i arrive there in December. I feel sorry for the sister because she has 4 children and no support from the ex husband.  maybe im too soft.  But i can afford to help, so dont mind doing it.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In my situation it is easy.  Brothers and sisters are on their own  Her mother is dead, and her father left them years before mom died. So he doesn't get sh&t.  I will change countries before I support him.  And she seemed to believe me when I told her that.   :tiphat:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You guys got it all backwards!  Find a nice girl like I did whose parents have passed on already, God bless their souls.  Then have one of these to help you when you are old!   :hystery:  Make sure she gets a good education so she can do the job well!

post-1784-0-09339600-1399212439_thumb.jp

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

You guys got it all backwards!  Find a nice girl like I did whose parents have passed on already, God bless their souls.  Then have one of these to help you when you are old!   :hystery:  Make sure she gets a good education so she can do the job well!

attachicon.gifIMGP7559.JPG

LOL ever the pragmatist OnMyWay!  Did make me laugh a lot though!!

That is one beautiful baby by the way.. Congratulations!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1