Accidents And Jail

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike! It seems like I read about another one of these every week or so in one of the papers until they sometimes seem like the same one!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

Dashcams people, Dashcams! $50 or $60 might be the difference between a huge payout in the case of an accident (assuming you don't have proper insurance). 

Not to mention they are also a safeguard when it comes to ATM traffic stops ;)  

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Dashcams people, Dashcams! $50 or $60 might be the difference between a huge payout in the case of an accident (assuming you don't have proper insurance). 

Reportedly many cars in Russia use dash cams so people can prove who is liable in an accident.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Reportedly many cars in Russia use dash cams so people can prove who is liable in an accident.

They are starting to do that in Australia in a big way as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
barryneves
Posted
Posted

Call me over-cautious but I have both the dash-cam fitted to my car (for all the aforementioned reasons) and a top-up third party liability policy that provides far greater cover against damage or injury to third parties. Simply doing the best I can to cover my back as best I can.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am remembering the first couple accused of the Ella Joy murder.  If I remember correctly, their video taped alibi was outweighed by eye witness testimony.  Because of this I have to ask:  Have dashboard cameras helped any of the members of this forum while in the Philippines?  How about video shot from your mobile phone?  Has anyone had cause to find out if it would outweigh whatever the eyewitnesses say?

If I were a judge I would realize that witnesses can be wrong and videos are easily doctored so I do not know which way I would rule in this country.  Probably on the side of the voting citizen.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

If some is hurt or killed the driver gos to jail the police will try to make a deal so both partys are happy.  If you have police friends they may lean a little harder on the other guy to settle ; Who is a t fault does not even come into the conversation its who can afford to pay . Now if its a car vs motorbike its the car who pays because you have extra money to buy a car. Same for a business or expat 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Who is a t fault does not even come into the conversation

I hear ya Cebu..............but what would happen IF someone just stood his ground? If he was not at fault naturally. Just flat out said, "Other guys stupidity that go him killed, I aint paying" lololol. Some might say foreign ownership is what is wrong with the country, others littering or whatever, me I think its because for what ever the reason it seems that the average Filipino will almost always easy way out of a situation.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I am remembering the first couple accused of the Ella Joy murder.  If I remember correctly, their video taped alibi was outweighed by eye witness testimony.  Because of this I have to ask:  Have dashboard cameras helped any of the members of this forum while in the Philippines?  How about video shot from your mobile phone?  Has anyone had cause to find out if it would outweigh whatever the eyewitnesses say?

If I were a judge I would realize that witnesses can be wrong and videos are easily doctored so I do not know which way I would rule in this country.  Probably on the side of the voting citizen.

When dash cams were mentioned, the Ella Joy case came to mind with me to.

If some is hurt or killed the driver gos to jail the police will try to make a deal so both partys are happy.  If you have police friends they may lean a little harder on the other guy to settle ; Who is a t fault does not even come into the conversation its who can afford to pay . Now if its a car vs motorbike its the car who pays because you have extra money to buy a car. Same for a business or expat 

Didn't Bruce get cut off while riding a motorbike and flipping over a taxi? Taxi driver ended up getting paid?

They were pretty much billing him on the spot while the medics were trying to take him away!