Part Time Expat?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think the majority of members here make Philippines a permanant home. Anyone live in Philippines for only part of each year?

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yep I have been coming for 5 years and try to stay 6 months but the last couple years i have been breaking it up to around 3 months each place

I have found its better for me I get bored and grumpy after 3 months here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

at least 4 months each year since 1995. Now the Philippines pretty much exclusively but before I used to mix it more. Thailand, Malaysia, and Cambodia as well as Philippines. First time I visited Philippines was 2001 and it gradually grew on me and year on year alloted more and more time to it. But 2009 was the first year I went to the Philippines, and no other country in Asia. Always move around. Almost never more than one month in any one place. About a week, is probably the average parking period.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have found its better for me I get bored and grumpy after 3 months here

Ah So! a prime candidate, for a reply, to Old's topic on Boredom then? :)

:tiphat:

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'm averaging about 4 months a year there at the moment.  Hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll be there full time.  My first trip to PI was back in '89, when I was in the RAN and Subic Bay was still a US military instillation. Yearly visits since then on deployments to Subic, Davao, Manila etc,  so I saw a lot of change.  Olongopo was initially devastated by the US withdrawal.  I left the Navy in 2007, didn't go back until I met my ex-gf in 2012. Was so impressed by the way the country had progressed, particularly after the void left by the US in places like Subic and AC (Fields aside of course - I don't judge the ladies but I will judge the sexpats;  no apologies, that's just my moral compass). 

• Like 4

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I spend about half my time in Cebu City and half my time Canada. When i get bored and grumpy here in Cebu I go back to my vacant house in Canada and visit family and friends, I do some hunting and fishing and 4 wheeling, some ipsc shooting, maybe skiing and golf etc. When I get bored and lonely for some female companionship I lock things up and come back to Cebu for maybe 3 to 6 months. I have travelled all over the Philippines, from Mindanao to Baguio, but I could not live here full time.

• Like 4

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

you can just lose focus if you are not careful, when you spend too much time in the Philippines. You can even lose control. Far better to do both, west and east, and not put all your eggs in one basket.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
and the list goes on and on .....

If we went back to the US for 6 months at a time, what would we do for health insurance?  I would have to purchase it and I don't have the budget.  I just started another topic related to this.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I use the stateside time to use medicare and VA health care.  Get scripts filled eyes and colon checked, check ups. No out of pocket so even with Phil Health it is cheaper.  Hope to soon be renting our FL house for seven months a year for a few years, then full time RP

• Like 2