Second Chance To Metro Manila.

Orange Sol
Posted
Posted

Dear fellow expats.

I will go to Manila 3 days in late July. I have only been in Manila 1 once before, (when I first arrived in the Philippines.) Back then I was very uncomfortable with the city, I was constantly afraid. Maybe because everything is so different from Denmark. In particular, the guards with machine guns in front of the many malls made ​​me insecure. Of course, I had also read various horror stories on the internet about kidnappings, robberies and murders, which not made ​​me feel safety at all. At that time, I booked a hotel through a large online booking agency, a 3 star hotel for around 2500 Php with reasonable reviews. Unfortunately, the hotel itself was located in an "lightly dressed" area with partying and I must say that I have a little trauma from the experience!

Now I will give Manila a second chance, therefore I hope you know a recommendable hotel in a quiet area where I can feel safe? (Price below 2800 Php for 2 persons per night.)

Last time all I dared was to walk around in the malls or sit in my hotel room and I think it was a shame. I exude off of naivety, is pale, fairhaired and blue-eyed, even in Siquijor Island (where I live), I can feel uncomfortable when numerous men want to reach contact (Some even propose!?)

Therefore, I would also like to ask if you can recommend any attractions, so I can see something new other than the hotel room's wallpaper:

I have thought of " The Mind Museum"?!

Are there any good theaters, ballets or classical concert halls which is worth a visit? How are the Art Gallerys (and which can be recommended for Contemporary Art?) and what about the National Museum? My first priority is to feel safe so I can change my view of Manila...

I hope you will help me change my mind, so I can love Manila as high as the rest of the Philippines.

////###Orange Sun###///

• Like 3

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

Guess most would think makati, is supposed to be the safest and richest, but you need to know which part.

I stayed in Malate Pension House, not makati, but malate and felt plenty safe at night on the same streets, and lots of places to eat and bars. It is possible to sleep with the window open because the hotel is set back from the road (which isn't too busy, but taxis come by looking for a fare.) Rooms are 1k simple aircon room. Or 2.4k for much nicer rooms with own CR. The entire hotel is decked in quality wooden floor, polished daily. Guests are not allowed apart from your wife who must also register to enter the first time.

Parts of Makati are really dodgy so you need to know where. Most hotels there are over priced, that's my experience only.

Edited by sandwichmaker
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear fellow expats.

I will go to Manila 3 days in late July. I have only been in Manila 1 once before, (when I first arrived in the Philippines.) Back then I was very uncomfortable with the city, I was constantly afraid. Maybe because everything is so different from Denmark. In particular, the guards with machine guns in front of the many malls made ​​me insecure. Of course, I had also read various horror stories on the internet about kidnappings, robberies and murders, which not made ​​me feel safety at all. At that time, I booked a hotel through a large online booking agency, a 3 star hotel for around 2500 Php with reasonable reviews. Unfortunately, the hotel itself was located in an "lightly dressed" area with partying and I must say that I have a little trauma from the experience!

Now I will give Manila a second chance, therefore I hope you know a recommendable hotel in a quiet area where I can feel safe? (Price below 2800 Php for 2 persons per night.)

Last time all I dared was to walk around in the malls or sit in my hotel room and I think it was a shame. I exude off of naivety, is pale, fairhaired and blue-eyed, even in Siquijor Island (where I live), I can feel uncomfortable when numerous men want to reach contact (Some even propose!?)

Therefore, I would also like to ask if you can recommend any attractions, so I can see something new other than the hotel room's wallpaper:

I have thought of " The Mind Museum"?!

Are there any good theaters, ballets or classical concert halls which is worth a visit? How are the Art Gallerys (and which can be recommended for Contemporary Art?) and what about the National Museum? My first priority is to feel safe so I can change my view of Manila...

I hope you will help me change my mind, so I can love Manila as high as the rest of the Philippines.

////###Orange Sun###///

Hej Camilla,

Most of us here are old enough to be your father and possibly as your grandfather, like myself (age 63)......he, he.

So please have some patience when we discuss about your next adventure into Manila - we tend to be overprotective

of our young female members.  

Your description of yourself naturally puts you in a precarious position, I think.  Your naivety may further increase the

curiosity about you, especially among the men folks who may be under the influence of Shabu (meth).  You can easily

stand out more if you show any signs of not being street smart.  Having presence of mind in the streets of Manila has

always been my golden rule.  Through your sunglasses, pay attention to their eyes and hands, especially the guys

tweakin' on Shabu.  

Please consider a travelling companion who can be trusted to protect you 7/24.  Travel light, keeping both your hands

free and your bag strong but lightweight.  Please buy a small canister of pepper spray against the 4 and the 2 legged

animals.  Carry a small flashlight at all times -- brownouts can happen any time.  Bottles of liquid hand sanitizers are

highly recommended to bring with you also.

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- OK, please tells us that you're taking your little priend (an UZI) with you.  It will give us old farts a warm and fuzzy

feeling knowing that our Camilla is going to town with her little priend and with a little attitude......he, he.

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Manila is no different to anywhere else in the Philippines, except that it is 'writ larger'. Everything, is on a much bigger scale. Like all big cities anywhere in the world there is a lot of life there and if you decide to ignore it then you will be missing out on a lot, that the Philippines has to offer. The city - or rather cities, because there are 16 of them in metro Manila - does not have a particularly dangerous feel at all, however if you have been in the province for a while, you will get culture shock there just as you would if you were in the backwoods of Tennessee or the the Scottish highlands for months on end, and then suddenly found yourself in New York, or London. So it might easily feel more threatening than it really is. Manila is the central point of Filipino culture, where every strand of it blends in the most. It should not be underestimated. Far too many foreigners, especially those who have got hitched with provincial girls and taken up residence in the sticks, dismiss it out of hand without ever really having come to terms, with Manila.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The traffic scares me more then the crime.

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I think Manila traffic is better than Cebu traffic although it is innapropriate really to compare the two as Manila is so much bigger, it is like it is on a different planet. Not just a different island of what is supposed to be the same country.  Many of the streets are much wider and there is better regulation as in traffic lights, people wearing helmets all the time and so on. In fact i have started thinking to myself hey i could drive a bike around Manila no problem, and I never thought I'd say that.

• Like 4

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)
My first priority is to feel safe ...

. :th_goodidea:

Edited by Otsibal Teiluj
  • Like 1

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)

Manila is no different to anywhere else in the Philippines, except that it is 'writ larger'. Everything, is on a much bigger scale. Like all big cities anywhere in the world there is a lot of life there and if you decide to ignore it then you will be missing out on a lot, that the Philippines has to offer. The city - or rather cities, because there are 16 of them in metro Manila - does not have a particularly dangerous feel at all, however if you have been in the province for a while, you will get culture shock there just as you would if you were in the backwoods of Tennessee or the the Scottish highlands for months on end, and then suddenly found yourself in New York, or London. So it might easily feel more threatening than it really is. Manila is the central point of Filipino culture, where every strand of it blends in the most. It should not be underestimated. Far too many foreigners, especially those who have got hitched with provincial girls and taken up residence in the sticks, dismiss it out of hand without ever really having come to terms, with Manila.

:agree:

Edited by Otsibal Teiluj
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I totally agree with you Whippy.  Manila is no different than any other mega metropolis.  However, from my personal accounts,

please allow me to describe the dark side of Manila.  In many ways, the predators are very unique in their ways of methods

and madness.  They may travel in packs of lookouts with diversionary tactics and getaway assistance.  Riding tandem on a

motorcycle with helmets on is an all too common occurrence for broad daylight attacks.  Did I mentioned that some of those

predators are in uniform -- the so called hoodlums in uniform.

The once beautiful Pasig River snaking its way through Manila is now a major open sewage system.  For the last several

decades, metro Manila exploded with millions of displaced people from Mt Pinatubo (1991) and super typhoon Yolanda last

year.  You may be impressed with the modern and cleaner look of Makati but just over your privacy wall of broken glasses

are those millions and millions of displaced families now squatting along Pasig River.  Desperate people will do desperate

things, especially if they haven't eaten for days but they're strung out on shabu or Tanduay rum or both.  

Now along comes this caucasian female in a crowded Manila bus terminal -- tall Danish, blond and blue eyed.  I think she

will attract more attention than a caucasian male wearing jewelry and expensive Nikon camera around his neck.  But what

do I know -- I'm just a poor Filipino boy who has seen a lot during my travels also.    

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I do not disagree with you. But anybody that ignores Manila, is also ignoring the Philippines. It is like pretending you love France, or Russia, whilst ignoring Paris or Moscow, Silly idea.

• Like 2