Good Areas In Cebu For Expats To Live

Robin Hilborne
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all comments, I suppose I'm looking middle price near mall I'm in good health but the traffics was a culture shock! We are going to Cebu for holiday next year so hope to start looking round then

• 4 months later...
Chance555
Posted
Posted

HiRobin from wales also South wales ...been there a few times and will be moving out there in June be good to chat sometime to compare notes

Tom

mjb123
Posted
Posted

Sad but true fact,,,The Philippines is not a foreigner friendly country,,,,,,If you want to own a house and land, If you want to own a business, If you want to own a gun,,,,,,,,,Why not just go to a country that allows all this,,,why put up with all the BS ?

I totally agree-----I think those that dont understand this  really must be  blind

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Sad but true fact,,,The Philippines is not a foreigner friendly country,,,,,,If you want to own a house and land, If you want to own a business, If you want to own a gun,,,,,,,,,Why not just go to a country that allows all this,,,why put up with all the BS ?

I totally agree-----I think those that dont understand this really must be blind
Well, if your happily married to a Filipina, retired and have no interest in guns then retiring in The Philippines does make sense. Do you really think moving to a country where you don't know anybody, doesn't speak English makes sense for you to build a home or start a business?
  • Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

you might want to look into Panama, the Boquette area. Lots of advantages over the RP.

• 2 weeks later...
tomaw
Posted
Posted

Others can tell much better than I about Cebu city, because I don't like cities :)

(but I find most far away part of Minglanilla rather nice.)

Do you want to own a house through your wife if she's Filipino (you as a foreigner can't own I guess)

Foreigners CAN own a house, but not land

((if not through company, if the COMPANY need land, then foreigner cam own 40 %))

So a foreigner can own a whole house on long time LEASED land.

What you say is true, but leased land is just what it sounds like. You'll be paying that lease forever. If you're married to a Filipina you're better off buying a lot and building a house. Most middle income house and lot can be paid off in five years or less. In California I need 20 percent down, excellent credit and then be stuck with a mortgage for about 15 to 30 years!

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I totally agree-----I think those that dont understand this really must be blind
Well, if your happily married to a Filipina, retired and have no interest in guns then retiring in The Philippines does make sense. Do you really think moving to a country where you don't know anybody, doesn't speak English makes sense for you to build a home or start a business?
I totally agree. I'm married to a Filipina and plan on buying a lot, building a house on it and retiring there with my wife. I've been to The Philippines 3 times. It is without a doubt the friendliest place I've been to in my life! :-) Also I found that only the very young and the very old were the only ones that didn't speak English.

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Others can tell much better than I about Cebu city, because I don't like cities :)

(but I find most far away part of Minglanilla rather nice.)

Do you want to own a house through your wife if she's Filipino (you as a foreigner can't own I guess)

Foreigners CAN own a house, but not land

((if not through company, if the COMPANY need land, then foreigner cam own 40 %))

So a foreigner can own a whole house on long time LEASED land.

What you say is true, but leased land is just what it sounds like. You'll be paying that lease forever. If you're married to a Filipina you're better off buying a lot and building a house. Most middle income house and lot can be paid off in five years or less. In California I need 20 percent down, excellent credit and then be stuck with a mortgage for about 15 to 30 years!

Yes, but rather many foreigners have been FOOLED by Filipina wifes.

To reduce that risk I plan to long time lease the land anyway (from wife or other) and have the house in my name.

Land are normaly much cheaper per squaremeter than houses   :)

Edited by Thomas