First Flight To The Philippines: Where To Land?

06charger
Posted
Posted

I'm making plans (again) to run away to the Philippines somewhere in Subic Bay. Should I initially get a flight to Clark or Manila? I'm not to fond of Manila however I'm just trying to find the easiest route.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

neither are all straightforward actually for Subic. But Clark is the easier of the two. On my initial arrival I would seriously consider getting a taxi directly there, as it is only 80km from Clark and 120km from Manila, which should mean a taxi fare of no more than about 1800 from Clark, or 2500, from Manila. However the Clark taxis is an overcharging mafia and the official yellow taxis from Manila airport, while not really bent, would probably still cost plenty more than 2500.

06charger
Posted
Posted

I would prefer to take a bus from the airport to either Clark or manila. Hey you wouldnt happen to know if any expats have an extra room to rent out just for this month? I would be able to pitch in for groceries and beer.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would prefer to take a bus from the airport to either Clark or manila. Hey you wouldnt happen to know if any expats have an extra room to rent out just for this month? I would be able to pitch in for groceries and beer.

Best to save a bit before making the move IMO being broke in Philippines is not a good experiance. Hope things go well to do with the ex not too much drama or $$$$.

• Like 2

06charger
Posted
Posted

With the flight and hotel I would be looking at a little less than 1000usd to support me until next month. Think I could wing that?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

With the flight and hotel I would be looking at a little less than 1000usd to support me until next month. Think I could wing that?

A thousand US would be enough to support yourself until July. Moving over there without a backup plan and the cash to fund it is a huge risk in my respectful opinion.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It is easier to get flights from the US to Manila. International flights to/from Clark are limited.

I fly in using All Nippon Airlines which arrives at NAIA (Manila) terminal 3. The flight usually arrives in the evening. Ahead of time I book a room at the Remington Hotel which is very close to Terminal 3, they have a free shuttle to/from the airport. Then you can get over the jet lag a bit overnight and take a bus the next morning to Subic (Olongapo). The next morning just get a taxi to the Victory Liner bus terminal, should only cost around 200 pesos. Then get a bus to Olongapo, cost will be around 100 to 200 pesos.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you are not traveling heavy and remember you are not there to spend money but to get the lay of the land, you might get a bed space with a locker eat decent and save half of what you have for beer phone load and other extras. I still wouldn't just show up without a few thousand dollars in case things go south.

Old55 has the right of it as usual. :tiphat: It might be better to save up some because I don't know what you get a month but I do know you are going to need first and last months rent, possibly a deposit besides, how about utilities/ internet? I thought I could use net cafes but I found that more often than not the equipment was in such bad shape that the computers would time out before the home page loaded. Good luck whatever you do. :)

• Like 3

06charger
Posted
Posted (edited)

I understand, I'm just kind of in a hurry to get there is all.

Edited by MikeB
Removed personal financial info
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
It is easier to get flights from the US to Manila. International flights to/from Clark are limited.

Believe the OP is coming from eastern Europe.

• Like 1