New Member - Tax Question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some states are notorious for trying to grab your money, so try to stay away from any financial ties with them.

California, my original home state where I grew up, is very aggressive.  They must have paid for some computer programming to sift through any data they can get their hands on, and then generate fishing (phishing) letters.  In February 14, I receive a letter at my sisters house (my mailing address) in California:

"We believe you need to file a 2012 California income tax return.

We received information that you made mortgage payments to

FIFTH THIRD MORTGAGE COMPANY

The amount of mortgage interest paid indicates that you may have sufficient income to have a filing requirement for the 2012 tax year.

We checked our records and failed to locate your 2012 California personal income tax return.

We want to work with you to resolve this matter as soon as possible."

The facts are:

Fifth Third does not do business in California

I haven't had income in California since 2003

I have not lived in California since 2003

My Fifth Third mortgage was for my house in Kentucky, which I sold in 2012 before moving to PH.

Some final closing paperwork  and the 1098 form was mailed to my new California mailing address.

I don't know how they deduced that I owed them money, but you can see what I mean by fishing.  I'm fairly certain Fifth Third did not send them anything.  The whole thing is not even about income.  They are deducing that because I paid interest that I must have had income.

I have to fill out a form and write them a letter, which I sent certified.  They never acknowledged it.

My only taxable income is from my Fidelity brokerage account.  With them I am able to maintain my legal address as my rental house in Florida  (where I pay a lot of property tax but no income tax) and my mailing address in California.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2