Smart/sun Data Service Unbelievable Poor!

Valderrama
Posted
Posted

Okay. Here’s what aggravates me to the point of tearing off my Smart sim card.

Yes, as my subject says, it’s their data signal coverage. Even turning on my roaming signal, still I will have 0 kbps download speed. It’ll take me than an hour to roam around to get the perfect signal for me to just get in touch with my email.

It’s crushing my temper!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It all depends on where you are. Last year I used a Smart Bro unlimited data plan for my smart phone which I used as my primary internet tethering my laptop to it. Where I was located I consistently had greater than 1Mbs. Then I moved to Baguio and at my new apartment I had a very slow connection. Yet downtown Baguio it was very fast. I switched my apartment to DSL and canceled the Smart Bro unlimited data plan.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I agree with Earthdome, my smart data and call time that I bought every 4 or 5 days worked very well in Calocmoy Mindoro Oriental of all places, where even the carabao would stare at me. Other than the hassle of having to buy more time every handfull of days it was cheaper and better than what I have in the US. I downloaded alot of youtube videos and did other web surfing and checking e-mail, sent alot of pictures with Viber. It's all about finding the best service where you are, if you move around alot, don't get tied down to one plan.

Another thought ocurrs to me, are you certain the antennae in your phone works with Smart's 3G and above frequencies? There is some chance that it does not work on the same frequency. Possibly you have a bad antenna. You could check with GSM Arena or a different online source, to see if they have the specs for your phone. I found a list of all the different frequencies by provider for the Philippines online some time back. I don't know if anyone has made coverage maps but I would not trust them anyway. I hope this helps. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder if it depends what phone you are using.  I bet most phones are trying to connect to the 2G system for data service.  Thats dial up speed and slower.

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I've been all over the Philippines and Globe is always the sim with good data speed. A number of places have rubbish smart but good fast globe coverage.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've been all over the Philippines and Globe is always the sim with good data speed. A number of places have rubbish smart but good fast globe coverage.

From some of the reports I've read, Globe is often cursed just as much as Smart.  I would look at what works at your home, or, if there is a place in the province you may spend an amount of time at, what works there...  You may end up having to get a stick for each company!  In my case, I will be doing a lot of traveling plus I'll need internet access so, yes, I am going to have both sticks in my pocket!

:mocking:  :tiphat:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder if it depends what phone you are using.  I bet most phones are trying to connect to the 2G system for data service.  Thats dial up speed and slower.

I was beating my head against the wall recently over an independent (unlocked) internet stick recently...  I couldn't connect to half the towers in Canada for one of the major labels.  The problem?  it wasn't a 4g stick...  it wasn't a 3g stick...  Turns out somebody had stuck a 2g tuck inside an internet stick casing and was trying to sell them on Ebay.  Wouldn't you know it?  Made in People's Republic of China!

:mocking:

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I've been staying at the Summit Circle hotel in Cebu City and a 9600 baud modem has better performance than their wifi.  I ended up buying the SmartBro USB stick and the performance has been all over the place.  I bought a Globe SIM, unlocked it and saw the same performance.  It appears the ISPs don't want to spend the money to upgrade their backhaul networks.

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Just buy a smartphone with internet tether. This means it will share the internet with a laptop or create a Wi-Fi hot spot.

My lenovo P780 does that.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

My globe sim has been excellent I can stream movies all over Cebu island and Negros