Life Beyond Us ( The Foreigner )

Thomas
Posted
Posted
There is one very important thing to consider. Most of us seem to have met the right Filipina and have a loving trusting wife. On the other hand being there are no secrets in any Filipino family or the whole darn town. Knowing that money can be had by the death of a Rich Kano that could put an Expat in a difficult position. Even an honest unknowing wife could be at risk. How do you bequeath or pass on wealth in a manor that safeguards not only you but your wife and children?
I have thought rather much of that. The main thought is to do some security BEFORE marriage, so I DON'T need to be suspicious DURING the marriage   :)    because such is bad for relations.

My plan is to be worth more for them dead than alive   :dance:   (which probably will be true with the Swedish retirement system). And if it isn't true, perhaps I better lie about it   :)

Plus if the company is profitable, I will teach my wife SOME of the leading, but KEEP some of the knowledge for MYSELF,

BUT write instructions, which she will get fast IF my death isn't suspicious...

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted
My plan is to be worth more for them dead than alive 

Not a good idea Thomas, lol

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Already discussed it with SAO and my kids and about to implement it.  She gets a fair whack of my military pension, my kids get the apartment/condo/unit/flat or whatever you want to call it in your respective countries.  Aines has not worked enough in Australia, despite her dual citizenship, to have any entitlement to any government pensions here, but as my common law spouse, she does have an entitlement to a partial payment of my military pension after x number of years together.  In Australia, there is no need for a marriage certificate with regards to property etc as long as the relationship can be proved after x (still waiting for a determination on "x") number of years.  This goes for immigration as well, in Aust, it's called a spousal visa in lieu of a fiance visa.  I make the distinction to help my fellow Aussies out here on the forum.  

What I find interesting is that the US, now allows gay marriage and is very progressive in that respect but with regards to immigration etc it's somewhat backward when it comes to common law relationships on the same front.  Australia is the opposite.  This opens up a whole new can of worms, and perhaps better discussed in another thread.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Oh perhaps it was a Freudian missprint  :lol:

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Oh perhaps it was a Freudian missprint  :lol:

He just accidentally said it backwards since English is not his first language. Hey Thomas, when you get your big house built can my wife and I visit you? Don't worry we can sleep on the floor on a foam mattress.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

This is a very valuable thread.

Can I bring in another aspect?

In the course of my job, I have sometimes had to pay out death benefits to widows of seamen. Over my years in the job, we in merchant shipping have become wiser, and, we now normally use structured settlements, with any widow of Malayo-Polynesian stock, be they Malay, Filipina, Maori, Cook Islander, whatever.

You can guess the reason: any pile of cash will disappear very fast, as the relatives help themselves to it. There is no way to guard against this, the "lucky" widow will be strong-armed and blackmailed into handing over all the money.

I therefore urge everyone to think carefully - don't leave investments or cash. Leave a widow's pension. Make sure that only she can collect it, and that her ID cannot be forged.

I would even suggest that if possible you put any real property in trust for the child(ren), but I have not looked into this and I do not know if it is practical.

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
I therefore urge everyone to think carefully - don't leave investments or cash. Leave a widow's pension. Make sure that only she can collect it, and that her ID cannot be forged. I would even suggest that if possible you put any real property in trust for the child(ren), but I have not looked into this and I do not know if it is practical.

This is exactly what I have done, for all the reasons you stated.  Her: The residual of my Navy pension, my kids the property.  Additionally, Aines will receive a monthly annuity from my compulsory preserved benefits (employer contributions) that have accrued my entire working life; military it was about 15%, civilian employment mostly around 9%.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I would even suggest that if possible you put any real property in trust for the child(ren), but I have not looked into this and I do not know if it is practical.
A friend of mine, who is Swedish and married to a Filipina, have done something a bit in that direction. He put land in kid's name, but it was mainly to get some more control of it during the child age.
Hey Thomas, when you get your big house built can my wife and I visit you? Don't worry we can sleep on the floor on a foam mattress.
I'm much more interested in function and big space than look. It will be uggly, so not sure any foreigner will want to stay there  :lol:    (Perhaps look as my avatar, but one level less, and perhaps I don't paint to make it look extra uggly   :)       Not sure if I ever will afford such.