Balikbayan Privilege Question

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I got a BB stamp for the first time last month when my wife and I returned from a week long vacation to Thailand.

I made sure we had an NSO certified copy of our marriage certificate with us. When we left we went up to the immigration counter together. I handed the BI officer both our passports and mentioned we were married. My wife's passport still had her maiden name. The officer asked for our marriage certificate and I gave him an NSO certified copy along with copies of our return flight printout. He reviewed everything and gave us an exit stamp. Then on his own suggested that I could get a BB stamp on our return.

On our return we went through the immigration line for non filipino/non asean individuals and went to the immigration counter together. I handed the BI officer our passports, requested the BB stamp and handed in the marriage certificate. No problem there either. All routine.

This was at NAIA terminal 3.

If you stay over 6 months with a BB stamp do you still need to get the ECC from BI?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If you stay over 6 months with a BB stamp do you still need to get the ECC from BI?

Very good question... I have no idea   Not specifically stated on their website. :tiphat:

The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:

•  
    1. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
    2. Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
    3. Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
    4. Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
    5. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
    6. Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have been planning the same request upon our return from the States with my wife. We will have the NSO Marriage Certificate. And I will have a throw away follow on ticket (probably won't be allowed to board in the US without it).

'earthdome', on 26 Jul 2014 - 6:26 PM, said: If you stay over 6 months with a BB stamp do you still need to get the ECC from BI?   Very good question... I have no idea   Not specifically stated on their website.

This brings up another question; If I have a "Tourist ACR ICard" and am here on a BB stamp, do I apply for the 13A ACR ICard or just renew the Tourist ACR ICard when it reaches 1 year? Also, from what I have gathered from previous web postings (here and other forums) you will have to do the annual renewal in January for 300p. 

No matter what the answers are I am sure that nothing will be 100% as everything with the BI is always subject to the local officer's interpretation of the regulations...

jon1
Posted
Posted

Very good question... I have no idea   Not specifically stated on their website. :tiphat:

The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:

•  
  •  
    2. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
    4. Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
    6. Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
    8. Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
    10. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
    12. Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.
  •  

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc

My guess would be that the BB stamp would put you under the ECC-B rules.... just my .02 

fred
Posted
Posted
Also, from what I have gathered from previous web postings (here and other forums) you will have to do the annual renewal in January for 300p. 

I usually do mine in Feb or March.. From memory its around 3 months from the beginning of Jan that you need to report and pay 310.00.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

2 months, before Mar 1st.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
jon1
Posted
Posted

We just did this, this morning at NAIA Terminal 2 (PAL). The wife requested that the immigration officer grant me a Balikbayan stamp. The lady asked if we had the same last names in our passports (which we do), reviewed our passports and promptly stamped my passport with a handwritten expiration date of 1 year from now. We didn't have to show the NSO Marriage Certificate that we brought just in case.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
We just did this, this morning at NAIA Terminal 2 (PAL). The wife requested that the immigration officer grant me a Balikbayan stamp. The lady asked if we had the same last names in our passports (which we do), reviewed our passports and promptly stamped my passport with a handwritten expiration date of 1 year from now. We didn't have to show the NSO Marriage Certificate that we brought just in case.

I think we had to show our marriage certificate the first time, because my wife has retained her maiden name.  But apart from then, as long as we were together, they just gave us each a Balikbayan stamp upon confirming verbally that yes, we were married. I guess when they see the previous stamps they figure we would ask for it.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yes my plan is to bring the wife on any future business trips. Kills two birds with one stone, BB stamp on return and a happy wife. 

Now I have to figure out if this ARP thing applies to me. I think it does as the BB stamp amounts to nothing more than a Tourist Visa without the fees/extensions. Depending on how things go work-wise, I may apply for the 13A after 6 months.