Grandpa Killed

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

A Filipino is NEVER responsible for his actions, therefore it can't be Joesito's fault.  Plain and simple.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
how many times did he refer to Joesito

I thought so at first also Bob. But the more I read Philppine news papers, that is their writing style it seems

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe the information as printed is only partially correct.  The driver was probably detained to answer questions concerning the accident.  The person who wrote the story is more likely someone who knew the deceased - how many times did he refer to Joesito...  writing about him as if he was a family friend?

The driver was detained because that is their procedure in all accidents involving serious injuries. The victim or family has a time limit to file a charge or case against the driver. Once that elapses he's free to go. The victim can still file a case but good luck getting the authorities to do anything unless you pay them.

The chance the reporter knew the deceased is nil, as the previous poster stated, that's typical writing.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you have supplemental insurance to what extent will the insurance carrier negotiate and settle with the family? I don't know but I'm going to ask the insurance agent for my policy tomorrow.

The insurance agent I asked is a foreigner (Scottish, I think) who has worked in insurance many years in the Philippines and also other SE Asian countries. His reply (verbatim):

"In a case when there is a claim for Third Bodily Injury (ie Death or Disability), if you have Comprehensive Insurance, the Insurance Company will try to directly negotiate with the injured person/family, if they do not like the offer they may file a court case, then the Insurance Company will appoint a lawyer. It is unlikely that the case will get to court but being a foreigner the person/family will see $ signs and try and skin the you/Insurance Company for as much as possible.

We had a case recently where a foreigner hit a lady and she ended up dying, he got directly involved (which was not wise) and the offer of the Insurance Company was rejected and a court case was filed.

The family was claiming for 1 million pesos (The guy told them that he had cover for 1 million pesos.......Idiot)after negotiation they ended up accepting 300,000.

So in the event of an accident, no matter how much pressure is put on you, just keep quiet and let the Insurance Company do everything."

In the event of the other party needing immediate medical care will the insurance company reimburse the funds the insured driver gives to the injured party or the hospital/clinic to get treatment?

"For any payment for Medical expenses you will need to claim for the refund, they will need official receipts from Hospital/Medical Center. I would advise against giving any funds directly to the Third Party in case they deny receiving later on."

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

There was a small fender bender accident in front of my apartment a few days ago. The cars sat there for almost an hour in the middle of the street while the resulting dispute was resolved with the assistance of the police. When they left I couldn't see where either car had any real damage beyond scratches.

I was driving in DC once when someone rear ended me. I had a car that still had one of those solid steel bumpers. Didn't really do any damage to me but buckled the front end of the car that rear ended me. I got out and right there and we decided to not report it and move on. I didn't care because I had no damage and the other person knew they were at fault and didn't want to report it to their insurance company.

I would recommend that you gather your own photo/video evidence if you are in an accident. Use your cell phone to take pictures and video of the accident scene. Better yet there are dash cams you can install in your car that will store video of an accident including the short time leading up to the accident that would be very valuable to prove you were not at fault.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you have supplemental insurance to what extent will the insurance carrier negotiate and settle with the family? I don't know but I'm going to ask the insurance agent for my policy tomorrow.

The insurance agent I asked is a foreigner (Scottish, I think) who has worked in insurance many years in the Philippines and also other SE Asian countries. His reply (verbatim):

"In a case when there is a claim for Third Bodily Injury (ie Death or Disability), if you have Comprehensive Insurance, the Insurance Company will try to directly negotiate with the injured person/family, if they do not like the offer they may file a court case, then the Insurance Company will appoint a lawyer. It is unlikely that the case will get to court but being a foreigner the person/family will see $ signs and try and skin the you/Insurance Company for as much as possible.

We had a case recently where a foreigner hit a lady and she ended up dying, he got directly involved (which was not wise) and the offer of the Insurance Company was rejected and a court case was filed.

The family was claiming for 1 million pesos (The guy told them that he had cover for 1 million pesos.......Idiot)after negotiation they ended up accepting 300,000.

So in the event of an accident, no matter how much pressure is put on you, just keep quiet and let the Insurance Company do everything."

In the event of the other party needing immediate medical care will the insurance company reimburse the funds the insured driver gives to the injured party or the hospital/clinic to get treatment?

"For any payment for Medical expenses you will need to claim for the refund, they will need official receipts from Hospital/Medical Center. I would advise against giving any funds directly to the Third Party in case they deny receiving later on."

Thanks Mike,

This is the best advice I have ever heard on driving in the Philippines.  I'm going to meet with my insurance provider and make sure I have Comprehensive  Coverage added to my Policy.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Be sure you check the policy very carefully, I just noticed my address on my current policy is wrong, probably that of the previous owner. It was correct on last year's policy so I don't know how they managed to screw it up on a straight renewal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MikeB
Posted
Posted

Here's a follow up letter on the incident in today's Opinion page (I didn't write it).

"Street madness

When will the madness cease and some measure of common sense begin? Read once again about an innocent man being arrested, jailed because of irresponsibility/stupidity of another person. A recent news story was about a speeding motorcycle passing a tricycle and another motorcycle, and running head-on into a truck. Clearly, the motorcycle driver was in the wrong and because of his stupidity he is now dead. But the truck driver had to pay for the dead guy's stupidity. This is practically a daily occurrence here, and everyone seems to think it is okay for the innocent person to be charged with a crime. It's insane. Sadly though, this affects every aspect of life here since nobody ever accepts responsibility and, of course, the reason for that is nobody has ever been taught responsibility. This is obvious in all levels, as you see police/government vehicles being driven in the same irresponsible manner, passing on curves, speeding through busy school zones with, again, nobody behaving responsibly. One would think the wealthy people driving the expensive vehicles might have a little sense, but if anything, they are worse than the poor guy from the province, driving along with wife and three kids. It is shameful. 

Why can't somebody here wake up?--An American in Cebu"

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/opinion/2014/08/07/tell-it-sunstar-bad-news-teachers-358453

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Here's a follow up letter on the incident in today's Opinion page (I didn't write it).

"Street madness

When will the madness cease and some measure of common sense begin? Read once again about an innocent man being arrested, jailed because of irresponsibility/stupidity of another person. A recent news story was about a speeding motorcycle passing a tricycle and another motorcycle, and running head-on into a truck. Clearly, the motorcycle driver was in the wrong and because of his stupidity he is now dead. But the truck driver had to pay for the dead guy's stupidity. This is practically a daily occurrence here, and everyone seems to think it is okay for the innocent person to be charged with a crime. It's insane. Sadly though, this affects every aspect of life here since nobody ever accepts responsibility and, of course, the reason for that is nobody has ever been taught responsibility. This is obvious in all levels, as you see police/government vehicles being driven in the same irresponsible manner, passing on curves, speeding through busy school zones with, again, nobody behaving responsibly. One would think the wealthy people driving the expensive vehicles might have a little sense, but if anything, they are worse than the poor guy from the province, driving along with wife and three kids. It is shameful. 

Why can't somebody here wake up?--An American in Cebu"

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/opinion/2014/08/07/tell-it-sunstar-bad-news-teachers-358453

Whoever this American is he has a clear view of the situation. "No one takes responsibility for anything" can be seen at all levels of life in the Philippines. And, maybe ever more disturbing "everyone seems to think it is okay for the innocent person to be charged with a crime."  What does this say about the intelligence of the people and their morals?  These things make me wonder if I really want to live here.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Whoever this American is he has a clear view of the situation. "No one takes responsibility for anything" can be seen at all levels of life in the Philippines.

And, maybe ever more disturbing "everyone seems to think it is okay for the innocent person to be charged with a crime.

" What does this say about the intelligence of the people and their morals?

These things make me wonder if I really want to live here.

:th_thbestpost: (at least for 2014)

this is one of the most accurate statements that I have seen in a long time,

appears the  people just dont want a change to improve their lives.

• Like 1