Cheated?????

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Hmm, when I traveled to Thailand my BPI ATM card for my peso account was not accepted in any ATM's I tried.

When I travelled to Hong Kong my RCBC peso card was good at the atms and my Philippine Mastercard was honored everywhere.  I asked before I went but they did not have to activate the card so it was either already activated or no need.

RBM
Posted
Posted

As an update

yesterday went to BPI manager and explained situation. Very obliging chap, just the continue interruptions from customers made it difficult. He indicated on line complaints, call center complaints basically go to back of the list. After an hour plus he finished lodging the complaint with Manila, assured me funds will be credited next week.

Let's hope this has a happy ending...excuse the pun.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can in fact recall making a special trek to Pudong in February 1997 for the sole purpose of putting my HSBC card into the very first Foreign Bank ATM in China !

Issueing FECs?

Even in 2000 there were very few ATMs in Beijing that would accept foreign cards and most of these were inside bank branches, so an evening withdrawal required a taxi ride to the HSBC branch near the railway station.

When I opened my first account with Bank of China I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the process was. Fill in a form, show your passport, deposit 10 dollars and your account was open. However that was the only straightforward aspect of banking in China in those days. Apart from simple deposits and withdrawals from the counter everything else involved long waits and moving from one counter to another to complete the transaction. And, of course, you could only access your money in Beijing. The banks' computer networks seemed to end at the city limits.

Now one can use a Chinese ATM card virtually anywhere in the world and withdraw funds in the local currency from a Chinese bank account held in RMB.

Edited by not so old china hand

Americano
Posted
Posted

A BPI ATM card is an international card. My wife and I both have BPI accounts with ATM cards. When we went to Hong Kong on our Honeymoon it was a little scary to put our cards in the ATM machines to get Hong Kong Dollars but they worked every time without a problem.

Hmm, when I traveled to Thailand my BPI ATM card for my peso account was not accepted in any ATM's I tried. Did you notify BPI in advance of your travel plans? Was that a BPI USD account? How was the exchange rate?

We didn't notify BPI in advance of our travel plans and it was our first time to travel outside the Philippines since we opened our BPI Peso Savings accounts with ATM cards. We withdrew Hong Kong Dollars 3 different times which was at the rate we were expecting. I don't remember the exact rate right now but it was a good rate. BPI didn't charge us any fees but probably the bank in Hong Kong made some off the transaction.

We haven't been to Thailand so I don't know about the ATMs there.  On the back of your card tells you which companies or services will accept your card. Then look on the ATM for the same name or Logo.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
We haven't been to Thailand so I don't know about the ATMs there.  On the back of your card tells you which companies or services will accept your card. Then look on the ATM for the same name or Logo.

Yeah, I looked on the card and used an ATM on a supported network. I tried 3 or 4 different ATM's in Bangkok, none would accept my BPI peso ATM card. Good thing I brought USD cash and had credit cards that worked.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Thanks earthdome,

I will keep that in mind if we ever visit Thailand.  At least the machines didn't keep your card.

RBM
Posted
Posted

10 days on and no refund.

Will go chat bank manager today how ever not expecting to much.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update.  Please keep us informed.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update.  Please keep us informed.

Spoke manager this pm. Very affable guy, he explained even I used a BPI card it is the responsibility of BDO. That was the

ATM that did not dispense my money.

So, I explained, agree 100%, that's why it was my first port of call. They denied responsibility and stated it's the job of BPI to trace and return funds.....bit of the catch 22 here.

Anyway he promised to do his best, said he will call me tomorrow.

No need was my reply I shall pop in again.....no no just wait my call.....so guys stick to the bank on your ATM to ovoid problems.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Well, I think BPI and most other banks in the Philippines are only in the Philippines, so its gambling when you use your card in another country.

• Like 1