Basmati Rice And Freezing Cinemas

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just 2 things on my mind presently....

1) Is there somewhere that sells brown basmati rice in philippines? I love that rice... it's like the difference between fresh milk and UHT...

2) Do people really enjoy near death experiences in the cinema (okay, I'm kidding) but seriously... it's extremely cold in there. Maybe it's like some kind of rush for filipinos? The chance to get away from it all with a good movie, and nearly die feel the temperature of northern europe first hand...

Actually I went on a couple of dates with a girl in Cebu, and one of them was to a KTV type place, where you can watch movies... she had me request less cold air, so it must be a portion of people who drive this insanity....

Edited by sandwichmaker

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

1) Is there somewhere that sells brown basmati rice in philippines? I love that rice... it's like the difference between fresh milk and UHT...

2) Do people really enjoy near death experiences in the cinema (okay, I'm kidding) but seriously... it's extremely cold in there. Maybe it's like some kind of rush for filipinos? The chance to get away from it all with a good movie, and nearly die feel the temperature of northern europe first hand...

Actually I went on a couple of dates with a girl in Cebu, and one of them was to a KTV type place, where you can watch movies... she had me request less cold air, so it must be a portion of people who drive this insanity....

I know what you mean...everytime I go to the IMAX cinema at SM it is freezing. I always have to bring a jumper :)

Edited by Medic Mike

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

maybe we can set up an anti-aircon protest, like the anti-war protests here in London  :lol:

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

maybe we can set up an anti-aircon protest, like the anti-war protests here in London  :lol:

And what about the locals always using their cell phones while the movie is going. If they did that in Australia they would be strung up :).

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Gourmet Garage in Subic Bay had it when I last looked; Rustan's supermarkets might be another possibility.

You may need a mortgage...;)

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
brown (basmati) rice
I have thought of too where to find (cheap) brown rice. Anyone knowing if

brown rice = just TRESHED rice

or is MORE done to it (other than preboiling*)?

( *brown rice better get some preheating to make it useable longer time, Brown rice can be stored shorter period than white rice, because some more storing sensitive part is left on brown rice but not on white rice.)

If it's just treshed, then it's easy to find brown rice, just get it from farmer/mill BEFORE it's milled    :)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Try finding Quinoa...  :th_unfair:

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hi and yes sympathize with your movie problem. I find this on boats (hence always non air con) also my favorite restaurant Bobs Riverside Bacolod. How locals can handle temp is beyond me.

Not sure your location but Indian shop behind castle peak Cebu have what your looking for. We buy basmati rice white long grain and it's half price of metro. Also they have every spice imaginable.

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

2) Do people really enjoy near death experiences in the cinema (okay, I'm kidding) but seriously... it's extremely cold in there. Maybe it's like some kind of rush for filipinos? The chance to get away from it all with a good movie, and nearly die feel the temperature of northern europe first hand...

I requested a chat with a cinema manager after one of these (the worst) arctic experiences, 39º outside about 16º inside WTF ! 

So he promptly arrives out to answer my complaint:

Me: "its so ridiculously cold in there that people left within 30 mins of the movie, this is an ongoing problem in your Cinema".

"Sorry Sir - I will take it under consideration"

So I asked:

Me:What temperature the Aircon is set for

Him: .... "5 Sir"

Me:Whats the higest setting

Him: .... "5 Sir"

Whats the Lowest

Him: ... "1 Sir"

Me: Could you maybe start the Aircon at 2, you do realize everyone in the cinema is freezing cold and some left due to it ?

Him: ...."ugh ugh ugh ... its like that always sir, the staff....."

Yes: thats your problem as a manager

Him: "I will check it sir"

Me: Ummm, why are you wearing a jacket, long sleeves and scarf ? 

Him: Because the office Aircon is so cold, I need to ...... (penny dropped right about here). 

Me: You Understand that no-one going to the cinema expects to need to wear a scarf or heavy coat like you ?

Please take that into consideration when you subject customers to sit in one spot for 2 hours in the freezing cold and expect them to pay you P250!

Aircon was turned to a reasonable level for the following 3 weeks before the insanity started all over again grrrrrrrr (probably changed manager)

I know what you mean...everytime I go to the IMAX cinema at SM it is freezing. I always have to bring a jumper

I've taken to wearing a heavy Wool 3/4 length COAT with a hood and scarf - Yep our local one is really that bad.

Pain in the ass when you need to bring an extra 3 or 4 kilos of padding, long trousers and wear thick socks with shoes to just watch a darn movie wrapped up like Edmund Hilary about to climb Everest.   

Edited by deevey
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have never found a theater that cold in Iloilo!  Sometimes I wish I did.

Most Filipinos I know say brown rice is for poor people - who can't afford to mill it properly.  I have not seen basmati anywhere in my area.  I used to cook at an Indian restaurant so I really like basmati (we used white). 

• Like 1