Safety?

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I agree with most of the comments above, some places are more dangerous than others, but that is the same in every country.

Make sure you use your head...., big head that is, and generally you should steer clear of trouble.

Of course, when you are richer than most people around you, you make yourself a target for all kinds of potential trouble, but once again, that is the same in most if not all countries.

I also would say, that at least so far in my life in the Philippines, (9 years now) that the benefits far out way the risks.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Here is a link to "US Deaths Overseas" : http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/statistics/deaths.html

You can do a 10 year search in every country to see the 'non-natural causes' deaths of Americans only. There are 217 in the Philippines and what surprised me was the high number of suicides.

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Here is a link to "US Deaths Overseas" : http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/statistics/deaths.html

You can do a 10 year search in every country to see the 'non-natural causes' deaths of Americans only. There are 217 in the Philippines and what surprised me was the high number of suicides.

Why would that surprise you. A foreigner in the Philippines down on his luck or lost the love of his life is all alone here with know one to help or comfort him.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Why would that surprise you. A foreigner in the Philippines down on his luck or lost the love of his life is all alone here with know one to help or comfort him.

Extremely good point.

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted
sjp52, on 20 Aug 2014 - 12:14 PM, said: jpbago, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:25 AM, said: Here is a link to "US Deaths Overseas" : http://travel.state....ics/deaths.html You can do a 10 year search in every country to see the 'non-natural causes' deaths of Americans only. There are 217 in the Philippines and what surprised me was the high number of suicides. Why would that surprise you. A foreigner in the Philippines down on his luck or lost the love of his life is all alone here with know one to help or comfort him. Extremely good point.

Also one must remember that "Suicide" cases are much easier to close and require much less resources and/or explanations than homicide cases do.

• Like 2

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

I would expect a higher suicide rate among expats. Failing health, failing finances, possible social isolation, and in general an elderly population. Sad true, but unexpected? No.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I would expect a higher suicide rate among expats. Failing health, failing finances, possible social isolation, and in general an elderly population.

Are you referring to expats in general or ones in the Philippines? The median age in the Philippines (as of 2010 census) is less then 23, about half most western countries. What you're describing sounds more like Florida.

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Expats in general. Although the Filipino population fits those stats, the expat population does more closely resemble Florida!

RBM
Posted
Posted

Love of his life......Think his departure from life more likely connected to the loss of his hard working life's assets.

Unfortunately so many seem willing to invest their ALL in this country based on some crazy business plan or some little honey recently met. Normally half his age. One elderly expat once told me.......Seems the sun bakes the brain here.

Have met, like most of us, many an expat crying into his beer.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Love of his life......Think his departure from life more likely connected to the loss of his hard working life's assets.

Yes. And don't forget an other factor.

There are TWO "types" of expats moving to Phils:

/as us in this forum   :)

/and them, who has as main/only reason to move here are cheap alcohol.  I suppouse that group have high suicide percentage more or less UNDEPENDING of in which country they live, because they have alcohol problem of some sad reason...