Living By The Sea

benji-man
Posted
Posted

My wife and I (and children) are planning on living and working in Cebu for a year, any recommendations on places to live near the water? I have seen listings for furnished houses on Mactan near White Sands, anything to be concerned about or aware of? Any other recommendations? Thanks

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

After Yolanda living by the sea lost a lot of it's luster. The govt announced that the minimum zoning space between sea and buildings (40m?) would be enforced but I don't believe it has. Imo, it's not all it's cracked up to be, better a mountain.   

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I don't know much about the Cebu area, but we have many members who do so I am sure you will get the information you are seeking.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Best pick the right mountain..  Philvolcs has just raised Mayon to level 2

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Would strongly advise before making any permanent decision spend a month or so there first. Traffic can be a real pain in Mactan plus I would not consider it a clean green environment to live in.

There are some nice beaches how ever most are controlled by resorts and seems one is charged for everything except the air. Few other beaches are public but little way out and weekends, public holidays tend to be crowded and extremely noisy.

Not sure exactly what your expecting how ever go slowly.......

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I Live 100 m from the sea but when I am ready to buy a lot and build a house I will move nearer to the mountains as it is cooler and here in Dalaguete it is quieter. 

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Would strongly advise before making any permanent decision spend a month or so there first. Traffic can be a real pain in Mactan plus I would not consider it a clean green environment to live in.

There are some nice beaches how ever most are controlled by resorts and seems one is charged for everything except the air. Few other beaches are public but little way out and weekends, public holidays tend to be crowded and extremely noisy.

Not sure exactly what your expecting how ever go slowly.......

Have to agree RBM, not the greenest of places here, Cebu City does seem a lot cleaner, especially around the malls and IT Park, at the moment they are re surfacing the main road from Grand Mall to the markets at Mercardo, probably 15 minutes usually, now anything up to an hour, it was bad before, now it's a bloody nightmare but I give them there dues, they seems to be going along at a good rate. I have another 5 months here, will be looking for some other place to live, as for the beaches, well nothing special and everything costs when you go there.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
akcebu
Posted
Posted

Will you be working at an office or just working from home and relying on internet connection? That would be a main consideration on choosing where to stay. I can't recommend any good beaches in Mactan, they all pale in comparison to Bantayan and Camotes island. I think some folks also live in Liloan area and there are some beach areas there. If it were my choice, I would just live in the city during weekdays and visit Camotes or Bantayan every weekend, actually even Bohol, Camiguin or Siquijor :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Sally Salvatore
Posted
Posted

I have always lived by the sea, when I don't it is not enjoyable. I live in Florida now, right on the river, I liked the beach better. The ocean is so soothing.

It is nice to be able to go diving or fishing right out your door. I am going to check out Subic Bay first but then I will figure it out. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Oh Sally, I just saw your partculars, I assumed you were female, apologies. Like you, the beach is the place for me, but

it appears much of it is controlled by resorts, but surely there must be some public beaches. I have been to Cebu it is

quite polluted but out Lapu Lapu there are some beach ares.

My advice about business in Phils, is the same, it is no different than Thailand, perhaps a little more corrupt.

• Like 1