Expat Murdered In Angeles City

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted (edited)

Has anyone heard about this and/or have any updates?

Briton robbed, killed in Angeles on August 11, 2014

ANGELES City -- A British national was robbed and killed inside his residence in Bgy. Malabanias here last Monday.   

Chief Insp. Romeo Castro, chief of Police Station 4 here, identified the victim as David John Runciman, 69, who was found hogtied and bathing in his blood inside his room at 18 Bonifacio St., Plaridel 1 Subd., Malabanias, at 5:10 p.m.

Castro said a neighbor of Runciman heard the victim crying for help at 5 p.m., prompting him to go the latter’s house and knocked on the door several times but received no answer. The neighbor said a tricycle was parked outside the gate of Runciman’s residence.

The neighbor then returned to his house and called the barangay to report what he heard. But while still talking on the phone, he saw two men boarding the tricycle and hurriedly sped away.

When the policemen and barangay tanods arrived, they saw the body of the British national lying faceup with blood oozing from his head and body. The victim’s hands were tied with a rope and his face was covered with a towel.

The victim’s room was in disarray, a sign that the assailants took some valuables from the house.

The victim’s body was takent to a funeral parlor for autopsy.

SOURCE: Journal On-Line

Edited to add date

Edited by Jumper0155

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Wow, yes this appears to be accurate. I am surprised as I had not heard anything about this, and it is about 5 minute walk from where we used to live!

He was known locally as "Doggy Dave".

It appears there have been no arrests as yet, and no suspects have been named.

Papa Carl

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Their slowly picking us off one by one. The problem is they usually get away with this and they all know it. In the news you always read foreigner kill and no clue who did it. You rarely read suspect in the foreigner killing caught and sentenced. In a bad guys mind a foreigner is an easy target. He has money and is not allowed to own a gun to defend himself.  I realize that the odds of it happening to me are low, But much higher here in the wild wild east than back home in the tamed west. Think I will start a new topic about protecting our selfs.  

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

When you consider how little a guard gets paid, living in a "gated community" is not much protection.

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I had previously posted about murders in Angeles, in regards to who the suspects were and whether anyone had been arrested in regards to these murders.

Well just as a follow up, here is some more information in regards to the murder of David Balmer and his girlfriend here in Angeles;

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/17/judge-in-ny-rules-against-former-us-marine-fighting-extradition-to-philippines/

ALBANY, N.Y. –  A former U.S. Marine charged with killing a couple in the Philippines can face charges there after a federal magistrate in New York ruled Wednesday there was sufficient evidence to extradite him.

Timothy Kaufman, 35, will remain behind bars until U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry makes a decision on surrendering him to Philippine authorities, under the order from Magistrate Randolph Treece.

Kaufman, formerly of Knoxville, Tenn., is one of three men charged by authorities in the Philippines with the 2011 killing of a retired Northern Ireland police officer and his girlfriend. David Balmer, 54, and 26-year-old Elma de Guia were found dead on Sept. 2, 2011, in a bedroom of a home owned by a local club owner who was friends with Balmer.

Kaufman was arrested in April near his grandfather's upstate New York home. He professed his innocence at a court hearing last month and his lawyer Mark Sacco argued that Philippine authorities failed to establish probable cause.

Treece rejected that argument in the ruling, saying the evidence was "sufficient to sustain the charges" against Kaufman under provisions of the extradition treaty between the United States and the Philippines.

There was no immediate comment from Sacco.

Kaufman left the Philippines a month after the killings. He was arrested in April at a Saratoga Springs-area business, near where he had been staying with his grandfather. Kaufman testified at his hearing that he had had been living in the open before his arrest, working part-time as a bartender and holding a driver's license.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

That was a particularly "spectacular" case, in which, as I recall, the evidence against the suspect foreigners includes one of them telling his maid to get rid of his bloodstained clothing and a firearm (which he should not have had in any case!) 

Telling your maid to dispose of bloodstained clothing belongs in a special category of idle arrogant incompetence!; 

Edited by Methersgate

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted

I have done a little more research on this though unable to say whether or not the following is accurate or just hearsay, but  about a neighbor saw two men leaving and got the plate number of the trike.  Also in another post it's stated that the two men may have been hired by the victim to do yard work so that's why they were able to easily gain access to the residence.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

one word, in that case:

SHABU

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
You rarely read suspect in the foreigner killing caught and sentenced.

But the sad fact is that you read about murders almost every day in the paper, normally motorcycle drivebys, a few home invasions or just random acts of violence. And you rarely read about suspects getting caught or if they are if they are, punished. I know I read the paper daily. I don't know for a fact if they are ever caught, just that you rarely read about it. Maybe a case of "If it bleeds, it leads" or they are just never caught.

• Like 2

efigy
Posted
Posted

has anyone got an update on the murder of the marine by the 4 young guys in manila a couple of years ago