A Living Will Or The Real Thing?

dsphilip
Posted
Posted

Several months ago, I contacted a lawyer in Manila to have a will drawn up. I was told that the minimum charge would be something like U.S. $3,000. Since I am single with no dependents, my financial affairs are quite straightforward and I didn't proceed. Was just wondering if I can have a real will made at a more reasonable price (if so how much and where) or would a living will I make myself (and perhaps have notarized) be as good and legally valid? Any advice...much appreciated.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Odd. Usually a lawyer will draw up a will for free if he is named as Executor, as he will make his money that way.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Several months ago, I contacted a lawyer in Manila to have a will drawn up. I was told that the minimum charge would be something like U.S. $3,000. Since I am single with no dependents, my financial affairs are quite straightforward and I didn't proceed. Was just wondering if I can have a real will made at a more reasonable price (if so how much and where) or would a living will I make myself (and perhaps have notarized) be as good and legally valid? Any advice...much appreciated.

$3000 is ridiculous.

Why not get a DiY will from a stationary and get someone you trust to do executor. If it is straight forward there shouldn't be any problems.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

$3000 is ridiculous.

Why not get a DiY will from a stationary and get someone you trust to do executor. If it is straight forward there shouldn't be any problems.

I agree with ya TopCat!  Especially when a liar (lawyer) from Manila says a minimum of 3,000 bucks -- a red flag to

get more out of you.  

DsPhilip, please continue to do more research online.  Just print out or fill out a living will that is customized for your

purposes and then have it notarized at your consulate or embassy.  Remember, many lawyers become politicians

to perfect their trade of ill gotten wealth.  That lawyer and his firm should be blacklisted......

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

You can draw up a will online for free from a number of services. So unless you have a very complex will with Donald Trump amounts of cash, I would not hire a lawyer in the 1st place. But if you did hire a lawyer, even in the US the cost would be a fraction of the $3000 you were quoted.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Depends on the state / country in which you reside or in which the property exists. Without knowing those particulars, I could not give any reliable advise.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As good where, in the Philippines or elsewhere? I did a DIY from a template and had it witnessed and notarized by a lawyer but my understanding is that it's not legally binding in the US, where my assets are. It shows my intentions on a specific date, nothing more. To my knowledge there are no licensed attorneys here so be careful taking legal advice from a forum, including mine.  

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Since I am single with no dependents, my financial affairs are quite straightforward and I didn't proceed.

Yep, this guy was taking you for a ride.  

I used this site last time I updated:

http://www.lawdepot.com/free-documents/australia/?loc=AU

That's the Australian link, but there's links to other countries at the bottom.  Took me 2 mins, just needed to have it witnessed after that.  3 people have a certified copy, including my daughter who is also executor.  

Definitely not a $3000 evolution.  

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I do know that Angeles VFW has a lawyer that offers Last Will and Testaments for your PI Possessions/Property. I do not know they charge but assume that it must be reasonable.

A living will (for medical treatment or non-resuscitation) is a definite must have and something on my list to get done.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

What's the difference between a lawyer asking for $3000 USD for a free will and tricycle asking for 50 Pesos for a ride?

One is educated and one is not :)

Here is a free and printable online will :

http://www.doyourownwill.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3