Dumaguete, Its Official-$910 Month To Live

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

ok...I have made life changing decisions on a coin toss in the past...but I've grown, haha. now I'm trying to do my research!

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Damn! I have been trying to convince my wife that Duma (or Valencia) might be the place. Now the place is gonna be overrun (or more overrun) by expats.

Already is.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Negros has been on my list for a while.

After having living there for 3 years, back in 2006, and a regular visitor now I would comment.

It's my favorite city by night, but during the day...........

Places around Dumaguete, well that's a different story, especially Valencia, once the road is finished.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Duma was on my list too from what I read about it until I made a trip to see it with my Filipina gf. To be brief, we couldn't wait to leave it! I even crossed out other cities close to it like Bacolod!

Others may feel different of course but here is why.

I want a place where I don't have to drive, city life close by, not noisy, not polluted and not expensive for no reason.

Duma failed in ALL of these categories!

It has just one miserable mall (Robinson's), hardly any taxis coz the predominant transportation there is this noisy tricycles hence smoke and noise galore!

I visited Valencia and pretty much it was a dead city. No place to go there?

I checked their prestige Cassaroro falls and twin lakes. What a farce!

If you are looking for a death station then sure. It's good but it was not for me.

I want my Starbucks coffee when I feel like it :)

Some might say ... But Cebu is close by? Well, the 1/2 hour trip by Cebu Pacific was cancelled without bothering to notify you. Their way of taking you to Cebu took 12 hours instead where one had to fly to Manila then to Cebu!

Their mayor instituted a law banning wearing helmets on motorcycles!! Why? Coz police couldn't identify the smashed up skull! Really!!

Almost all tricycles wanted quintuple the price cause I was a Kano. Even at their flimsy wet market, the prices were high.

In short ... Duma was out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I spent a few days last month in Dumaguete and have to agree, I wasn't too impressed. Maybe a little outside town is better, never got to that although I did check out Valencia. I'm considering it only because of the better schools, otherwise I would stay put. The highlight of the trip was the hour and a half drive back along the coast road from the southern tip of Cebu to Argao. Really beautiful.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Duma is dirty and polluted with very bad air quality nothing much there really except a half ass mall and a main drag to drink beer .

Valencia up the hill is very nice but very small , Bacolad is cool  I would consider moving there  above all places on Negros very few expats while Duma is over run by them  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

very few expats while Duma is over run by them  

Them, Them! what are you then if I can ask?

A little bit of a sweeping Statement, my Friend.

:unsure: Hmmmmmmmmm, well  CR, next time, can we have some photos of this, I have just come back from the City and in 2 hours I saw only 4 on the Street! the BOI was quiet with only half a Dozen, Do you mean on the Boulevard, Yes there are many there most days, but then, I have seen as many if not more, in Malls and Bars in Cebu, at the last count of the BOI, we are 2.800 in Dumaguete. Resident [ That Includes Valencia and outlying Districts]

Dumaguete is earmarked as a Tourist Destination ( Rightly or Wrongly!) but you would expect to see many Foreign Tourists, many and I mean many, are just Passing Through or are here for the Diving.

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson

robert k
Posted
Posted

Hmm! If you can find it in Cebu, I would think you could find a decent substitute in UH, Manila? I know, wild thought. Also, Bacolod is not close to Dumaguete when you are talking 3rd world island time, once a plane actually gets off the ground, Manila is not appreciably farter than any other city in the Philippines. I don't know what you order at Starbucks but I would buy a machine and make it at home. I find the Grande Expresso at Why Not pretty good, about $2.25 and comes with the free use of a computer with internet connection for an hour, probably a buttload cheaper than Starbucks, but to each their own. I don't get it, I don't think they have been trying to keep it a secret that Negros doesn't have an international airport. If you are not willing to make adjustments knowing you are in the third world country, why on earth would you not at least be looking on an island that has an international airport? Why Not has a decent internet connection, it's not that it can't happen, it's what is it going to cost for it to happen for you, that third world country thing again. Not every place is for everyone. You don't need to sound angry at the place if it were not your cup of tea, just give reasons why it isn't. I started to post a very similar post to yours but I had a computer glitch and lost it. I mentioned trash, internet, piratical trike drivers, didn't think about a lack of taxis because I knew that before I went there. And I was going to stress how many times I have heard people having to make a trip to Bacolod or Cebu for something and when that is taken into consideration, the cost of living may be no cheaper than the greater Cebu area, which is where I am looking next. In short I agree with most of what you say and I hope you have a better day from this point on. :)

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

By Starbucks I didn't meant it literally. I meant a similar environment.

Also, I said others might view it differently too.

Mind you, I forgot to say it's prettier outside but then one would need transportation all the time. And what if that need was urgent?

Most of the time I stay home and don't venture out much. My castle is my kingdom so I won't need the outside much. Well, except for groceries :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julia
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete it is then ! ...............Possibly............Maybe.............Perhaps.   :unsure:

Nah now that the news is out there will be standing room only. Prices will increase 100% to lighten the wallets of new foreigners.   :yes:

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: