Expensive Oil Change P11K....

RBM
Posted
Posted

Bought Chevy Spin 6 months ago. Was told by the salesman bring it in at 10,000 KM or 6 months which ever come first. Total check up make over plus oil and filter change. I would be liable for the oil and filter only. Great no worries.

Today it went in to Chevy service dept. 6months up, just 4k.

Unfortunately the service manager had different ideas on whom should, or will Pay. Seems I am liable for all cost, including labour. Was shown a printed document wherein the standard charge is just under P11K. Oh dear, no discussion no discount. Includes checking all nuts and bolts....well well.

Been here long enough to know pointless battering the salesman as it would be denied plus get me no where except high blood.....

I am far from mechanical but a straight forward google search shows few if any issues with these engines.

Next time considering voiding the warranty and doing oil change privately.

Would welcome any comments...........

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would go thru the warranty that was given you with the new vehicle purchase. If it is not spelled out I would have whatever maintenance you can get done privately. 

I have heard nothing but complaints about the "lack of customer service" from both Mitsubishi and Ford (owned by the same local family). I have 2 Mitsubishis and will never go to the dealer except for parts. They gave me the runaround on a simple job and that was enough for me. I have heard good reviews for Toyota.

Oil should not cost you that much. I import synthetic oil for my motorcycle (costs $10/quart) and use regular oil for my pickups ($7/quart). You should be spending no more than $50 for an oil change.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would question whether the inspection which should have been the most expensive part was actually necessary to preserve the manufacturers warantee? I think the inspection was for the manufacturers benefit, to prevent easily correctable faults before they become a costly warantee issue and not for your sake. I think the shop got paid twice for the inspection.

I don't know for certain about the Philippines but I don't believe the manufacturer can force you to use their shop or have work performed other than what is outlined in the owners manual, unless of course you agreed to it in the sales contract. Under normal circumstances if all the owners manual required was an oil change, then you could have the oil changed at any professional shop and keeping the receipt showing the work was done and the oil and filter was replaced with the specified grade or better should preserve your warantee.

Most newer vehicles have sealed chassis and driveline components that can't be lubed. Most modern automobile engines do not require valve adjustments. Most timing belt or chains have a service life these days that will put their replacement period outside the warantee period or it's specifically excluded in the warantee as a normal wear part, like brakes.

I think you got the Kano tax, but they may do the same to anyone else who doesn't know.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting this as I have been considering buying a Spin.  Is it a diesel or gas?  How do you like it?

There should be a maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.  What does it say there?

As Jon said, the warranty should state the terms of maintenance and I doubt that Chevy would have a "dealer service only" clause in there, but who knows in the Philippines????

If I do buy one I will make sure I read everything and clarify these types of things.  Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by OnMyWay

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks for posting this as I have been considering buying a Spin.  Is it a diesel or gas?  How do you like it?

There should be a maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.  What does it say there?

As Jon said, the warranty should state the terms of maintenance and I doubt that Chevy would have a "dealer service only" clause in there, but who knows in the Philippines????

If I do buy one I will make sure I read everything and clarify these types of things.  Thanks for the heads up!

Appreciate the replies thanks a bunch.

Yes it's tied in to having service done only at authorized chevy dealership. I was aware of this....The rest of work to be supposedly done is checking checking checking. Not a Kano tax as it's written down in the service center total price of first service, same for all.

Decided shall have next one done privately, hopefully chevy will sell me the filter. I hardly use it as have 3 bikes, just for carting and rainy days.

Buying was easy, no hassles at all, staff were good (apart from wrongly informing me charges on service)

Mine is a diesel model, love it. Over 30km to the liter if not hilly. Amazingly peppy for such a tiny 1300cc engine. My friend has an Inova and says the spin has more power. With the close ratio gears and turbo it's fun to drive and heaps of room inside. Only criticism perhaps would be steering lock although not bad could be better.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I think the shop got paid twice for the inspection.

Yes, I think that too. Try going to a different dealer if possible. Write to their head office.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I think the shop got paid twice for the inspection.

Yes, I think that too. Try going to a different dealer if possible. Write to their head office.

Yes at this stage will just buy oil filter and have oil change done by private reputable shop.

Was able whittle it down P2k, according the statement and my brothers (ex mechanic) opinion much of the work supposedly done was totally unnecessary. Many charges for grease go P100 plus on different parts. Mostly linkages, different grease each linkage but all over P100......Ridiculous....

Luckily we noticed they had also scratched the rear tail gate. After pointing it out initially they denied. After checking their list guilt was kinda acknowledged. The crazy part was they put it in their workshop, bought it back in half an hour touched up by hand, so obvious a blind man could see it.

Crazy on a six month old car. After a firm discussion it was agreed I return it next trip for two days and they will do it correctly...

Oh well as said only in the Philippines

Alby
Posted
Posted

Frankly, I would just do my oil change every 3000 miles and screw them all!

The manufacturers and dealers bullsh&t is just to make money out of you!

I had a brand new Toyota Corolla 1991. All I did was to regularly change oil and gas it.

I sold it after 11 years, one flooding and 150,000 miles for 40% if its price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Frankly, I would just do my oil change every 3000 miles and screw them all!

The manufacturers and dealers bullsh&t is just to make money out of you!

I had a brand new Toyota Corolla 1991. All I did was to regularly change oil and gas it.

I sold it after 11 years, one flooding and 150,000 miles for 40% if its price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh so true.

it actually reminds me of some fone companies. We give you a free fone but your locked in to a 3 year plan...Same with this, if one wants to avail of the warranty one must have a very expensive 6 monthly service. Imagine even air filter changed after 6 months P1100.

No mor, screw the warranty in future will be done privately.

robert k
Posted
Posted

When I worked pulling wrenches we washed truck air filters that cost over $100 back then with a product called Simple Green, blow out excess dust, soak in simple green solution with a little agitation remove and rinse and let dry, you can do the same with a quality automotive filter and I do for the three vehicles I have now, I have 2 filters for each vehicle and haven't bought an airfilter in years. If you don't want to go to that much trouble you could probably use the same filter for a few years just blowing it out (backflushing) with compressed air (40 psi) with diminishing returns each time. :) 

• Like 3