Marrying A Filipina

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I don't think the family and friends are being too out of line by expressing "resistance and disapproval". Unless he's hired an investigator (not a bad idea) he can't possibly know if this person "has an impeccable reputation in her personal life". He wanted advice so here's mine - take it slow, one step at a time. No need to rush.

I sort of agree with you on this. I am not sure if resistance and disapproval are warranted but to tell him to slow down and take his time are. Perhaps this is what the family is doing. But if they are making negative or disparaging remarks then that might be a bit unwarranted as they probably know much less about the situation than him. Sometimes though people take someone advising us to be cautious as being negative, so I guess balance is the key here.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks,  I think that makes sense too.  I'll sure find out quickly whether this relationship will work and whether I can consider living either temporarily or permanently in the Philippines.  Actually I think that was my first plan and suggestion to my gf.  But I have this house to sell.  I don't want anymore relationships after this one so I really want it work and be the right one.  Anybody using prenuptials in the Philippines?

If you intend to move back to the US with your wife the easiest path may be marrying in the Philippines then after you have been here 6 months applying for a spouse visa (CR-1). Once you have lived in the Philippines for 6 months you can apply for the visa at the US embassy in Manila bypassing many of the headaches of applying in the US. The spouse visa process only takes 2-3 months if you live in the Philippines vs 9-12 months if you file in the US.

It can be faster to live in the Philippines and wait the 6 months to apply at the US embassy than filing your petition for the visa in the US. You do have to prove that you have lived in the Philippines at least 6 months or the embassy will tell you to file in the US.

I am in the process of doing this and could have scheduled the visa interview one month from the time we started the process by submitting the petition.

• Like 4

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks earthdome!

I may go this route then.

As for what MikeB mentioned, my post was related to marrying a Filipina here but then I would refrain from replying if that's the case.

Mind you, I understand why Mike is keeping a lid on the pandora box :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks earthdome!

I may go this route then.

As for what MikeB mentioned, my post was related to marrying a Filipina here but then I would refrain from replying if that's the case.

Mind you, I understand why Mike is keeping a lid on the pandora box :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find out more by searching the internet for "USA spouse visa DCF Manila I-130 petition". DCF is short for Direct Consular Filing.

• Like 3

rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

Great advice all around.   I am coming to the Philippines late Dec and will stay at least until April I hope in Bohol.  My fiancé at one time suggested renting an apartment in Makati but I have non invasive bladder cancer and don't want to inhale the smog there for 5 months.  I also want to experience what she calls the simple life of Bohol. Taking it slow.   I have known her since Jan of 2012 when we began chatting and now have visited her twice.   Still going slow........renting my house in US for the winter.  Then put it on the market in spring and see how that goes.  Fiance will take a leave from her work in Makati and stay with me in Bohol.  She can look after the parents from a distant city/village away from them for a few months.  I can experience what it is like to be with her for 4 or 5 months, possibly longer and get married there and apply for visa there if we decide to come back here to live.  I think, like most Filipina women, she is looking forward to the dream of coming to the US and whatever that would mean for her future and that of her family.  Cannot get inside someone's head and know what's going on there.  Probably many things; living with a man without "blessing" she is a woman who was in convent for 12 years, worry about whether once in Bohol for months that I will leave her, and also that her real goal is not to be with me but get that green card asap, etc. etc. etc.  

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cannot get inside someone's head and know what's going on there.  Probably many things; living with a man without "blessing" she is a woman who was in convent for 12 years, worry about whether once in Bohol for months that I will leave her, and also that her real goal is not to be with me but get that green card asap, etc. etc. etc.  

Well, what I can share about the motivational aspect of bringing a filipina to the US (getting the beloved green card)  from my experience,is... What woman anywhere does not want to place importance on a more secure future? This can be looked at as a partnership between you two (marriage) or (if there are red flags) for self motivated underlying tactics. Through time and open healthy communication, I, personally, have found out my filipina wife's motivation was indeed that of a partnership and so I proceeded to bring her here to the US and everything panned out as expected-even better. We plan on returning to the Philippines about  a year or so.

"Getting inside her head", I am assuming means-is she hiding something or reluctant to discuss this in detail(??) but time, close observation and persistence can often clear that up as trust continues to grow-anyway, it's my experience as I said and I sure hope it all pans out even better than you hope it does.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2