Recommend A Voltage Converter?

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank OMW, that's more than my clippers cost but I might as well own one transformer, everything else I will bring will be autovolt. The clippers were a gift and of such quality they will probably last the rest of my life if I don't let them rust. I will try to buy a transformer before I leave. :tiphat:

I looked at what they cost here and it's about the same. The cheaper ones ....well that's the problem, they look a little too cheap, like they were shipped from Asia just so i could buy it and bring it back. :hystery:

Edited by robert k

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My new house has 110 and 220 outlets so no more converters for me, for now!

We did the same thing, have 110 and 220

Now I might be talking out of my hat, since all I know about electricity is turn on the switch. But when the house was done, the wife told the electrition to change a one of the plugs from 220 to 110. He fiddled around in the wall for a few minutes and it was done.

So I don't know if its an easy fix or not to change an outlet. If it is its an option maybe.

My friend is an electrician and I am going to see if he can change a few 110 to 220.  I hope it is simple.

It is easy to go down from 220 to 110 but not up from 110 to 220V unless all the wiring to each box was designed that way.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Amazon sells an item that can fit most outlets. The input is 220 v and the output is 110 volts. It also has a USB port incase. I carry it in my travel bag.

It's Chinese made I think so buy a backup :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thank OMW, that's more than my clippers cost but I might as well own one transformer, everything else I will bring will be autovolt. The clippers were a gift and of such quality they will probably last the rest of my life if I don't let them rust. I will try to buy a transformer before I leave. :tiphat:

I looked at what they cost here and it's about the same. The cheaper ones ....well that's the problem, they look a little too cheap, like they were shipped from Asia just so i could buy it and bring it back. :hystery:

One other thing to consider is if you want to bring any power tools.  They need a lot of watts.  I had an almost new 110 volt Craftsman hammer drill that I wanted to bring with me and it draws a lot of watts.  For my home theater and TV I bought a 1000 watt Panther AVR that has output for 220 and 110, and it runs the drill fine.  That AVR was abour p4500 over here on sale at Handyman.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Tell me about it!

I am now installing a strip wall AC and the technician is saying that current power may not be enough for the 2.5 horse power outside unit!

Mind you, they all said ok and I did my own checks but nobody will tell you til last minute. After you pay thu :)

So in short, think about power before you plug it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

A lot of good information here about step down transformer vs automatic voltage regulator (AVR).  In either case, I would buy one

that is rated at least 1.5 times more than what the load (tools, appliances, LCD) is rated in watts.  For example, a 120vac hair clipper

bought in US is rated at 500 watts, you should buy a step down transformer (220vac to 120vac) rated at least 750 watts.  I prefer

doubling the rating to 1,000 W.  Don't forget to add up all the watts plugged into a power strip.  You need to double the rating of the

transformer feeding all the loads at the same time.  

Any heavy duty power conversion device should be inspected whether it is UL certified, otherwise a cheapo step down whenever

it gets hot (an overload condition) may start an electrical fire.  Hopefully, everyone knows how to put out a class C fire?  Also keep

in mind about the usage of power extension cords.  Those also need to be UL certified and more importantly, please do not use

extension cords that is normally used for Christmas tree lights to power your heavy duty power tools. 

Since AVR are generally more expensive, I would reserve its use for critical electronic devices like your LCD, computer or stereo.

These types of loads have their own internal power supply which converts incoming AC (120 or 220) to DC voltages.  Any deviation

of AC input, the AVR will automatically adjust its AC output to where the LCD's internal PS is not overworked outside its designed

parameters.  Otherwise, your brand new LCD may not turn on next time.  

Respectfully -- Jake, doing the 60 hertz dance (electrocuted) 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
Jake, doing the 60 hertz dance

And that's something else that's often overlooked - not you dancing Jake, seeing that is something I can surely do with out :lol:, it's the Hertz rating. As most appliances / electronic devices manufactured in recent years are rated for both 50/60Hz it may not be problem, but it could cause some issues for older items. A Brit friend brought over an old power drill, 220V/50Hz as that is the Euro/Aussie standard and he naturally thought it would work fine, but within a few minutes of use it burnt up; 50Hz motors don't fare well running at 60Hz. So read the product label before plugging it in.

Also, it pays to have a regulated power supply with integrated surge protection or even a separate surge protector as voltage can and often does spike; especially immediately after a brownout. Sometimes it's not enough of a spike to trigger a circuit breaker, but it could be enough of one to damage small appliances. It may even pay to unplug small devices that were in use after a power loss and then plug them back in again once the power is restored.  

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My new house has 110 and 220 outlets so no more converters for me, for now!

We did the same thing, have 110 and 220

Now I might be talking out of my hat, since all I know about electricity is turn on the switch. But when the house was done, the wife told the electrition to change a one of the plugs from 220 to 110. He fiddled around in the wall for a few minutes and it was done.

So I don't know if its an easy fix or not to change an outlet. If it is its an option maybe.

Fiddled in the wall for a few minutes and changed the outlet from 220 to 110?  NOT!  What did he do?  Unless he pulled a 110 line out and tapped into that (oh how I doubt that very much!), he just pulled a fast one on you!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Fiddled in the wall for a few minutes and changed the outlet from 220 to 110? NOT! What did he do? Unless he pulled a 110 line out and tapped into that (oh how I doubt that very much!), he just pulled a fast one on you!

Like I said Bob, I am just talking out of my hat about 'lectronics. So all I know is what I use on a day to day basis. Almost every outlet in our house has two sockets, one black (110 volts) and one white (220 volts). We plug in all the TV's and such we brought from the states into the black ones and Philippine stuff into the white ones. No problems so far :dance:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Fiddled in the wall for a few minutes and changed the outlet from 220 to 110? NOT! What did he do? Unless he pulled a 110 line out and tapped into that (oh how I doubt that very much!), he just pulled a fast one on you!

Like I said Bob, I am just talking out of my hat about 'lectronics. So all I know is what I use on a day to day basis. Almost every outlet in our house has two sockets, one black (110 volts) and one white (220 volts). We plug in all the TV's and such we brought from the states into the black ones and Philippine stuff into the white ones. No problems so far :dance:

Ah!  Knowing this makes a difference!  I had assumed (made an ass out of him and somebody else, right?) that the outlets were all grouped by the voltage and not side by side.  In this case, he just jumped a wire across to the other outlet.   Just be very careful what you plug in there!!!